Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: How many of you guys use your charcoal kettles on wood decks?  (Read 7588 times)

WhaleinaTeardrop

• WKC Brave
Re: How many of you guys use your charcoal kettles on wood decks?
« Reply #15 on: April 16, 2017, 09:38:42 AM »
My parents have a PT deck and grill on it ALL THE TIME.  The kettles are on the deck with no protection and there hasn't even been a stray coal in 30 years; they have an offset that sits in side a pan my mom had put together for whole pigs, but that's more so to catch grease vs. fire protection....

Uncle Al

• WKC Brave
« Reply #16 on: April 16, 2017, 09:42:51 AM »
I have always grilled on the deck. All my kettles have the enclosed ash pot. I would not do it with daisy wheels. The biggest risk is when you are dumping a chimney and one of the lit coals getting loose. I keep a water hose handy just in case, always stay near when I'm cooking and when I'm done I close off all the vents and have no worries about the grill shutting down safely even unattended.

Neil_VT00

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #17 on: April 16, 2017, 10:24:43 AM »
I've been grilling on my wooden deck for the past 10 years using a Gen 2 performer or OTS with no issues.  The one time I had an issue was when I was using a daisy wheeled Smokey Joe and had an ash go through.  It left a mark but did not ignite.  Given the lack of an ash pan, that was just stupidity on my part.

I do also have a hose bib within 10 ft of my grilling spot which gives me a little peace of mind.
Wanted: Burgundy 18"

WNC

• WKC Performer
« Reply #18 on: April 16, 2017, 12:20:24 PM »

I'm just not going to do it.  It's not ideal as the deck has a set of stairs off the back of the house about 10-12 steps high so it'll be a lot of up and down. But it is what it is.

Sent from my iPad using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

Looks like a nice set up Joe!
I also have to go down a flight of stairs to get to my grilling area, sucks sometimes, but you get used to it...
Plus you start learning real quick to take everything down with you to minimize trips up and down.

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

Dsorgnzd

• WKC Brave
« Reply #19 on: April 16, 2017, 03:05:55 PM »
I use these:

http://www.oreillyauto.com/site/c/detail/HOP5/11430/N0026.oap?ck=Search_N0026_-1_-1&categoryRedirect=N0026&pt=N0026

and the 18"x26" pans
This is what I used under my WSM until I built a small brick pad next to the deck. It worked very well.

pbe gummi bear

• WKC Mod
« Reply #20 on: April 16, 2017, 04:17:40 PM »
Hi Joe, I think grilling on the deck isn't ideal but I wouldn't have any qualms doing so for an attended cook and cooldown time. The suggestions above are all great. Safety first! I would definately line immediately underneath the cookers. A grill mat is cheap and easy but you can also build a platform with non-flammable composite wood to be underneath the cookers or even the entire grill area depending on how it's set up. You should also install a fire extinguisher nearby and make sure that your family is trained. Some fire departments have free classes around the spring and summer time. Costco has nice ones locally but they are also readily avialable on Amazon. You might even consider installing a heat triggered fire alarm or sprinkler in that area. Check your local building codes before doing so. You can even go the extra mile by putting small hole expanded metal on the Ash catcher collar holes.Personally, I would use a WSM in a non-flammable area. Reasons being I'm always paranoid some asshole animal is going to tip it over when it's unattended over a long cook and embers sometimes fall out of the bottom vents.

Enjoy the new house!
« Last Edit: April 16, 2017, 04:20:38 PM by pbe gummi bear »
"Have you hugged your Weber today?"
Check out WKC on Facebook:
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Weber-Kettle-Club/521728011229791

kettlebb

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #21 on: April 16, 2017, 05:56:52 PM »
I think with the grill mats or pavers under the kettles would be ok but you have to feel comfortable with your decision. Congrats on the new house!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Looking for: Red MBH 26"(The Aristocrat), Chestnut-coppertone (The Estate), Glen-blue (The Imperial), and The Plainsman.

kanewtz

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #22 on: April 17, 2017, 04:27:55 AM »
I use my 22" kettle on my wood deck all the time.  Even overnight cooks.

Come to think of it...perhaps it isn't that safe???

It has the ash catcher.  Perhaps I should build an area off to the side with concrete slabs to put the BBQ on?

gengle

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #23 on: April 17, 2017, 04:48:52 AM »
Provided it's not crazy windy, I've been using a 3 x 5 ft piece of backer board under the cooker(s) on both wood and composite decks for years. No worries, dirt cheap and easily moved.

toolhead

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #24 on: April 17, 2017, 06:49:28 AM »

It has the ash catcher.  Perhaps I should build an area off to the side with concrete slabs to put the BBQ on?

this..

we all have our own comfort level.. when i got into charcoal.. i looked at my deck and said.. cant do it.. i dont want to have to worry about the safety issues.. especially given i started with a wsm, which would run long cooks.

started on the lawn with wsm / grills on some pavers, on top of the grass... then grass stopped growing and the grills were getting rain/ mud splashes and that area started going downhill in terms of aesthetics..

paver planning idea popped up and next thing you know.. was a big big hole...

whereas i have no issues with long/ exhausting process projects.. im glad that project is completed..
Grills

kanewtz

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #25 on: April 17, 2017, 07:15:35 AM »

this..

we all have our own comfort level.. when i got into charcoal.. i looked at my deck and said.. cant do it.. i dont want to have to worry about the safety issues.. especially given i started with a wsm, which would run long cooks.

started on the lawn with wsm / grills on some pavers, on top of the grass... then grass stopped growing and the grills were getting rain/ mud splashes and that area started going downhill in terms of aesthetics..

paver planning idea popped up and next thing you know.. was a big big hole...

whereas i have no issues with long/ exhausting process projects.. im glad that project is completed..

Do you have pictures of your setup??

Foster Dahlet

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #26 on: April 17, 2017, 10:33:57 AM »
I used the SSP on a wooden deck for 7 years....never a problem...but I used one of these just to be sure....

https://www.lowes.com/pd/The-Original-Grill-Pad-Fiber-Cement-Rectangle-Grill-Mat/50174799
I like my Kettles like my coffee....strong and black.

2019 Black 26" OKP; 2015 Black 22" OKP; 2004 Black SJP; mid 70's Statesman; mid 70's Gourmet, 2017 Black CGA; 2000 Black GGA;

MrHoss

• WKC Performer
« Reply #27 on: April 17, 2017, 10:42:18 AM »
I am on wooden decks but have a Costco mat. That mat has about 15 holes in it now after 2 years of cooking. A MBH if set up for low and slow with foil under the food and the vent underneath the coal closed at all times is a reliable way to use a oldie....in fact with a Happy Cooker internal ash pan added it is more reliable than a OTG I believe. I use OTG's on the decks for smoking and grilling but use them exclusively when grilling. But even then in my 4 years of using OTG's I have witnessed a ember come out on such an angle with enough speed as to escape through the upper holes on the ash pan ring. If I had not seen it I would not believe it.
"Why do you have so many bbq's?"....."I just like lookin' at em' sometimes....and I have enough purses and shoes"

james1787

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #28 on: April 17, 2017, 12:46:52 PM »
I have been using my 3 wheelers on my wood deck for several years now. I do pull them away from the railing when I light them up. I have a fire extinguisher right inside the door just in case. The only slightly dicey part is using the chimney starter. I have no place else other than perhaps the driveway that I could use my grills. Someday I may add a small patio (to allow for grill expansion?) when money permits. Now that I have read this thread though.. it does make me think about adding a grill mat.
Seeking either 56-58 anything or Westerner

Troy

• Statesman
« Reply #29 on: April 17, 2017, 01:42:20 PM »
I used to, all the damn time. Even overnight cooks.

The ONLY burns my deck suffered were from me pouring chimneys.

I was typically very careful. I almost burned down my NEIGHBORS patio once. Some crazy lump charcoal I had sent floating embers downwind. There were literally little orange embers rolling around on their patio, bouncing off their patio furniture. No one was home, so I grabbed their hose and just soaked all their shit with water.