Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: How many of you guys use your charcoal kettles on wood decks?  (Read 7586 times)

captjoe06

• WKC Performer
    • Northeast BBQ
I'm close to moving into my newly renovated house but not sure if it's safe to grill on the deck.  All of my grills have the enclosed ash pan.  How do you guys do it?  I suppose with a GA  Performer there aren't any small coals or embers to worry about with a chimney if you get the coals going in the charcoal baskets. 

Love to hear all your thoughts. 

Sent from my iPad using Weber Kettle Club mobile app
Smokey Joe Black, Smokey Joe Lime Green, Original Kettle Premium Black,'92 Red OTS, Yellow Simpson's 22, 78 Red MBH, '80 Black MBH, '10 Brick Red Performer,'12 Grass Green Performer, '03 Blue SSP, '97 Blue SSP, 18 inch WSM

iCARRY

• WKC Ranger
Re: How many of you guys use your charcoal kettles on wood decks?
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2017, 01:49:37 AM »
My previous house was a composite deck. Used charcoal on it often. At the time I only had a OTG. I was concerned but never had any issues. I alway kept the hose close, tried to avoid windy days, placed my chimney on a 12x12 paver after I dumped it, emptied the ash bucket often. I would only use a grill with the ash bucket.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

toolhead

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2017, 03:12:35 AM »
With precautions im sure you can manage...

For me..i couldnt do it..i know id be thinking about it too mich post cook..bed time..

My solution was to install paver patio adjavent to my deck....

If you have a wsm or plan on doing long smoke sessions..best bet is to think ahead about whether you would second guess yourself going to bed with wsm running on your backdeck....composite decking can catch fire just like any other vinyl/plastic material....

Good luck with your decision
Grills

HoosierKettle

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2017, 04:33:22 AM »

With precautions im sure you can manage...

For me..i couldnt do it..i know id be thinking about it too mich post cook..bed time..

My solution was to install paver patio adjavent to my deck....

If you have a wsm or plan on doing long smoke sessions..best bet is to think ahead about whether you would second guess yourself going to bed with wsm running on your backdeck....composite decking can catch fire just like any other vinyl/plastic material....

Good luck with your decision

I did similar. I poured a patio on either side of my existing deck. Plus it's easier to roll the kettles around on.

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

captjoe06

• WKC Performer
    • Northeast BBQ
How many of you guys use your charcoal kettles on wood decks?
« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2017, 04:55:54 AM »
I'm just not going to do it.  It's not ideal as the deck has a set of stairs off the back of the house about 10-12 steps high so it'll be a lot of up and down. But it is what it is.

Sent from my iPad using Weber Kettle Club mobile app
« Last Edit: April 16, 2017, 04:59:43 AM by captjoe06 »
Smokey Joe Black, Smokey Joe Lime Green, Original Kettle Premium Black,'92 Red OTS, Yellow Simpson's 22, 78 Red MBH, '80 Black MBH, '10 Brick Red Performer,'12 Grass Green Performer, '03 Blue SSP, '97 Blue SSP, 18 inch WSM

TD

• WKC Brave
« Reply #5 on: April 16, 2017, 05:11:40 AM »
I don't use a kettle on a wood deck, but if I were going to cook around anything that was dry and could catch I know how I would do it. My first kettle that I scored on Craigslist was a 22 and it didn't have a ash pan. I used a pie tin set on the three one touch cleaning vanes to catch the ashes. Later I ordered a ash pan and it sets just fine on the vanes as well. I would put foil in it to make clean up easy. Air flows under the pan, up and around the edges and under the fire. Would work for most cooks. Everything stays inside the kettle happy cooker style except the coals are above the pan on the fire grate.. The foil reflects the heat up but don't know if it makes a big difference. Coals burn to completion. You could get a squirt  bottle and spray the fire out if you were worried about leaving it unattended. I think a kettle with the premium ash pan would work just fine as well if you monitor it. I clean my kettles with the squirt bottle. The premium pan makes it easy. A hose is good too in case a live kettle got turned over. I have a gas assist and like it. I use a chimney but don't do the paper thing. I don't have a problem with a little charcoal starter if I don't use the Performer's gas assist. I feel like I get a faster start and don't fog the neighbors as much. I agree with the guys though, only you can decide what is safe for you.
« Last Edit: April 16, 2017, 05:22:40 AM by TD »

TD

• WKC Brave
« Reply #6 on: April 16, 2017, 05:18:15 AM »
Oh, I just remembered. My son in law has a Premium kettle and we use it all the time on a wood deck connected to the house. No problems yet, but maybe I should rethink  about fire safety some.

Joetee

• WKC Brave
« Reply #7 on: April 16, 2017, 05:26:08 AM »
Try this:
BBQ Deck Saver, put under your grill to stop grease and food on the deck.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

HoosierKettle

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #8 on: April 16, 2017, 05:26:48 AM »
I would use a kettle on a wood deck if I needed to. Enclosed ash catch and shut vents when done. Maybe a pad or pavers under it.

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

Joetee

• WKC Brave
« Reply #9 on: April 16, 2017, 05:27:20 AM »
Try this:

Well the web page didn't show up. I'll try again.

Joetee

• WKC Brave
« Reply #10 on: April 16, 2017, 05:28:57 AM »
Try this:

guitarfish

• WKC Brave
« Reply #11 on: April 16, 2017, 05:42:41 AM »
Aluminum hot water heater catch pan. Close off the outlet and add some water for an extra measure of safety.
http://www.homedepot.com/p/Everbilt-24-in-Aluminum-Drain-Pan-15013/205680995
"beer ain't drinkin', it's survivin' "

cwestsmokin

• WKC Brave
« Reply #12 on: April 16, 2017, 05:53:15 AM »
Good morning and happy easter! I.have cooked on my wood deck for 18 yrs. Plus smoked in my wsm. Never a problem .where iam very careful is with the chimney starter. But on the deck on ly with ash catcher. The older webers go down on the grass. Good  luck you will be fine .unless you have to many beers and miss the grill when you dump the charcoal from the chimney starter. C.W.

swamprb

• WKC Performer
« Last Edit: April 16, 2017, 07:38:17 AM by swamprb »
I cook on: Backwoods Gater, Lang 36, Hunsaker Smokers, Pellet Pro 22" WSM, BGE's, WSM's, Cajun Bandits, PK Grills, Drum Smokers, Genesis Silver C, Weber Q's, Cookshack 008, Little Chief, La Caja China #2, Lodge Sportsman...oh yeah! Weber Kettles! Kamado restoration and pit modification hack!

Lemans

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #14 on: April 16, 2017, 08:02:22 AM »
I have my kettle on the deck with one of those
Asbestos grill mats from lowes.. never a problem
I can't stop lovin my Weber!!!
2-22 WSM, 22.5 gold, 22.5 MT code EE Red Head ,22.5 AH in Green ,18 silver , Green SSP code EI,Weber Ranch,mini WSM black,4-smokey joes black, lime, copper, crimson Sjg  IQ120 electric 22.5 silver economy 2004..that makes 15. I know WEBERITIS !!