Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Experimenting with marinades  (Read 476 times)

Lightning

• WKC Ranger
Experimenting with marinades
« on: April 15, 2017, 07:50:49 AM »
I've done the odd teriyaki chicken and steak now and again with good results so I tried a honey garlic sauce on some chicken breasts which inadvertently marinaded the bottom of my fridge thanks to a very slow leak in the bag the chicken was in.  That meal was the first run on the Kingsford charcoal I bought to try.

The second run on Kingsford was the other half of the package of chicken in teriyaki sauce. I cooked this slightly differently. After a fast sear, I moved the chicken to the indirect side of the grill and started basting it immediately with sauce instead of waiting until near the end. I flipped and basted it every 10 minutes until it was done and the results were fantastic - easily the best grilled chicken breasts I've ever done.

That encouraged me to try a couple of other sauces to marinade a package of three pork shoulder chops. Two of them spent 20 hours in medium garlic sauce and the third one in General Tsao sauce.  Here they are on the grill about to get flipped and basted:

I stuck one of my tall plant hangers in the ground and clamped my 100W work light to it so I didn't have to light up the whole yard to see what I was doing.

Meanwhile inside, I had a large tray of sweet potatoes roasting.  Here's the finished General Tsao chop (top) and the two garlic chops (bottom):

With some of the roasted sweet potatoes:

I ended up cutting the chop in half along with one of the garlic ones and ate half of each to give both a try.  The General Tsao sauce was surprisingly mild. It had three or four peppers in the spicyness index on the bottle so I thought it would be hotter than it was.  Both types of chops were good. I'll have to do it again.

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club mobile app