Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: question on costco kcomp sale  (Read 3409 times)

toolhead

• WKC Ranger
Re: question on costco kcomp sale
« Reply #15 on: April 08, 2017, 05:34:07 PM »
Ill report back in september...you may be getting those NE grill based discounts...

Diff down south here...there is no winter clearance in the grill sectiom
Grills

Uncle Al

• WKC Brave
« Reply #16 on: April 08, 2017, 06:35:36 PM »
OK, I tried out the kcomp today. It burned hotter and with less ash and smoke compared to kbb. No sparking like I have seen with Stubbs so that is a plus.

toolhead

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #17 on: April 09, 2017, 02:22:37 AM »
How did it taste...im finding the taste to much better ...charcoal hit but no toxic hit ..its a mich milder ..better charcoal flavor...

I tried stubs yesterday with wings on the kettle....deep and massive smoke plume during chimney like before...that said it settled in nice and kettle ran 450+ on the start but teetered off to 350 after about 20 -30 mins with all vent wide open.

It did crisp the chx nice ...indirect for close to an hr.

Im gona stubbs the wsm today with english cut short ribs

Ill report back

Hey..this thread should maybe get retitled stubbs vs kcomp....lol

Grills

toolhead

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #18 on: April 09, 2017, 02:24:00 AM »
So far....i like both but the kcomp pumps less deep smoke plumes than stubbs during chimney process.....

I have to duck when the wind shifts during stubbs chimney
Grills

Uncle Al

• WKC Brave
« Reply #19 on: April 09, 2017, 09:27:46 AM »
I can't say I noticed much of a taste difference since I had all the coals fully lit before tossing the food on. Maintaining higher temperatures for a longer period of time was the biggest thing I did notice.  I did burgers and ABT's on separate grills. One full chimney for the ATB's and I ended up almost closing off the bottom damper (15% open) to tone down the temperature. After the temperature settled the lid thermometer was reading 300° and never dropped for over an hour. For the burgers I used 1-1/2 chimneys of kcomp in an inverted vortex and a cask iron skillet on top to get a crust on the burgers before finishing up indirect. Temperatures stayed high and never dropped even with the skillet covering most of the coals. I usually notice a temperature drop by the time I get to searing the last few patties with KBB but not with the kcomp.
« Last Edit: April 10, 2017, 08:20:07 PM by Uncle Al »

toolhead

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #20 on: April 10, 2017, 04:50:00 AM »
Yup agreed   higher temps...even burn....

I did stubbs yesterday on my wsm...english cut short ribs.
Stubbs on ssp babyback ribs on cb roti ring
Stubs on the other ssp...for wings indirect and corn i direct.

Stubs burns hot...had to keep my vents closed on all the ssp and i was still hot at 300s on ssps.

Wsm maintained temps well at 250-275 but varied a bit more than kcomp

I did notice the  crackling you mentioned with stubbs..

Overall...stubbs is good but prefer kcomp
Grills

Uncle Al

• WKC Brave
« Reply #21 on: April 10, 2017, 08:23:55 PM »
@toolhead were you able to notice any taste difference from the kcomp to the stubbs?

The sale works out to about $.42/lb. Not bad for some quality fuel. I'm going to get the flat cart when I go back this Thursday.

nitis

• WKC Brave
« Reply #22 on: April 10, 2017, 08:53:33 PM »
Fwiw I got comped a bag of the Weber stuff yesterday. And I'm impressed it burned well and just doing some chicken breasts I didn't get tons of ash and should get much more cooking out of the same coals

My thing is the price. I can coupon them a bit at lowes but they 0.30 a pound for kingsford still sticks in my head

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club mobile app
2 Genesis A summit Gold B a Performer a homemade cabinet pellet smoker and a big piece of pipe buried in the ground

toolhead

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #23 on: April 11, 2017, 02:09:40 AM »
@Uncle Al  stubbs tasted well and the guests loved the food...everyone went for 2nd plate.
Both stubbs n kcomp tasted much better cleaner than kblue...

@nitis  ...price per lb is deceiving...same as buying laundry detergent...tide vs generic that costs 19.99 vs 6.99 for the same volume weight...tide is more concetrated and use only a fraction of the cheaper gen stuff.

With kcomp 50% higher costs than kblue...im very confident that i am getting at least 50% more fuel than kblue.

Also less ash..hotter and more even temps and no toxic taste.
AND less bags to stockup on....less wear and tear on me when the sales hits.
Grills

toolhead

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #24 on: April 11, 2017, 02:21:05 AM »
Ive also noticed this benefit. Wsm charcoal bowls r easier to clean...

This past weekend...i niticed mostly water in the bowl and leftover briqs ....less of the ash mud i usually see....less mess to cleanup
Grills

toolhead

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #25 on: April 11, 2017, 02:22:39 AM »
@Uncle Al  did that price per lb factor back in your costco/citi cash back awards?
Grills

Uncle Al

• WKC Brave
« Reply #26 on: April 11, 2017, 06:48:42 PM »
@Uncle Al  did that price per lb factor back in your costco/citi cash back awards?

Ha! No I forgot to factor both the Costco and Citi rewards in :)

toolhead

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #27 on: April 12, 2017, 02:23:32 PM »
Even CHEAPER ...lol
Grills

Uncle Al

• WKC Brave
« Reply #28 on: April 13, 2017, 06:52:21 PM »
I picked up three more twin packs tonight. The cahier said will go on sale again soon. This sale ends Monday...

toolhead

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #29 on: April 14, 2017, 04:07:36 AM »
Yeah...there will be a mis summer sale as i recall last year...a d then icarry mentioned they go clearance post summer but not sure you and i are gona see that in georgia lcws. ..

We dont get grill clearance seasonal sales here
Grills