Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: First tentative steps toward pizza  (Read 2040 times)

theboycalledleaf

• Smokey Joe
First tentative steps toward pizza
« on: March 22, 2017, 12:26:49 PM »
Okay, I was given an 18 inch performer with a broken shelf / tray. I removed the broken tray, welded some flat bar to the tubular frame and mounted some wood to make a custom shelf.
I also made the lid cut mod as it was a freebie and fixed the grill to the lid to raise the height of the pizza stone.
I used a chimney of charcoal to get things going and added firewood from my log store to raise the temperature. I think I put my homemade dough and sauce pizza on too soon as it was way too smokey. We ate a good portion though.
As a first time experiment, it worked. The dough rose, the bottom cooked and the crust charred.  Next time, wait longer for the smoke to die down and a less thin sauce.
The point is, it worked!!! The principle is there, it just needs tuning. As a project, I loved making it, especially as I'm a novice to welding too.
Trying is better than perfection

MikeRocksTheRed

• WKC Performer
    • The Kettle Cookers (facebook group)
Re: First tentative steps toward pizza
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2017, 12:58:36 PM »
Sounds cool!  Got any pics to share?  Pizza does take a few cooks or more to really dial in.  It's a fun hobby!
62-68 Avocado BAR-B-Q Kettle, Red ER SS Performer, Green DA SS Performer, Black EE three wheeler, 1 SJS, 1 Homer Simpson SJS,  AT Black 26er, 82 Kettle Gasser Deluxe, "A" code 18.5 MBH, M Code Tuck-n-Carry, P Code Go Anywhere, 2015 RANCH FREAKING KETTLE!!!!!!

theboycalledleaf

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2017, 01:05:04 PM »
I cooked in the dark with a head torch. No pizza pic's but I'll post one of my weber pizza mod when it's daylight. Maybe that's why it was a semi success? Daylight is over rated!

varekai

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2017, 02:50:20 PM »
Cant wait to see some pics.... pizzas are fun to make.  GOOD JOB!!!
CGA,GGA, jumbo joe, 3-18" kettles,22" blue,green,yellow and 2 reds, 1-22" lid mod for pizza, a genesis silver,2 Red SS Performers,2 26ers,1 red, 1 chief and a Ranch Kettle.

Travis

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2017, 11:34:08 PM »
Sounds great! Post some pics so we can see this custom cooker!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

theboycalledleaf

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #5 on: March 26, 2017, 09:55:31 AM »

Finally the clocks have changed and I've had some time to play in daylight with the 18 inch pizza oven.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk

theboycalledleaf

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #6 on: March 26, 2017, 09:57:08 AM »

Less smokey, but now need more heat. It takes some dialing in but I'm happy to experiment!

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk

varekai

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #7 on: March 26, 2017, 07:39:59 PM »
Looks like your doing alright!!  Love your table, looks great.
CGA,GGA, jumbo joe, 3-18" kettles,22" blue,green,yellow and 2 reds, 1-22" lid mod for pizza, a genesis silver,2 Red SS Performers,2 26ers,1 red, 1 chief and a Ranch Kettle.

JEBIV

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #8 on: March 27, 2017, 02:55:30 AM »
love that table mod
Seeking a Black Sequoia I know I know, I'd settle for just the tabbed no leg grill

jdefran

• WKC Brave
« Reply #9 on: March 27, 2017, 07:06:50 AM »
Cool setup and nice work! For increased heat you can widen the intake slots on the bowl; you'd still be able to use the ash sweeper in that case. Maybe opening the top vent would create better draft and hotter fire as well.

Davescprktl

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #10 on: March 27, 2017, 06:30:59 PM »
Looks good to me.  Nice table!
OKP Crimson, 22" H Code Brownie, SJS Lime, 22" CB Stacker, Red Q2200, Performer Deluxe CB slate blue

"If God didn't want us to eat animals, why did he make them out of meat?"  H. Simpson