Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: KettlePizza maiden voyage  (Read 3332 times)

MikeRocksTheRed

• WKC Performer
    • The Kettle Cookers (facebook group)
Re: KettlePizza maiden voyage
« Reply #15 on: March 18, 2017, 12:08:44 PM »
7monte. I can tell you about my first time cooking on the KettlePizza. I know that there are other grillfellas that have used it many more time.  I started with a chimney of unlit lump charcoal and formed a "c" shape to the back. Then I lit  a full chimney of regular charcoal and when that was ready I poured the lit charcoal in and set the unit in the kettle and set the pizza stone in.   I let the stone heat up for about 15 minutes. Then I took the unit off and put about 5 good size chunks of apple wood for them to catch fire. I should have used more wood to get the fire hot enough. After the chunks put the unit back on and let it come up to temp. Make sure that you close the vent in the lid.   When the fire is going you can put the pizza on the stone.  Turn the pizza frequently so that it does not burn. Have fun with it. Also there a a lot of videos on YouTube as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

If you go to the oldest 2-3 pages of this Pizza subforum, that is  where a lot of us first got our KettlePizzas and there is a lot of good info from us learning how to get it dialed in.
Thanks for that very detailed explanation.  I'm about to do mine for the first time here as soon as I get the fire going.

Wayne
62-68 Avocado BAR-B-Q Kettle, Red ER SS Performer, Green DA SS Performer, Black EE three wheeler, 1 SJS, 1 Homer Simpson SJS,  AT Black 26er, 82 Kettle Gasser Deluxe, "A" code 18.5 MBH, M Code Tuck-n-Carry, P Code Go Anywhere, 2015 RANCH FREAKING KETTLE!!!!!!

HoosierKettle

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #16 on: March 21, 2017, 01:05:30 PM »
Anyone use all lump coal and no wood?  My first pizza cook was straight lump, no wood and was easily 750 and stayed there for at least an hour. I had to add briquettes and wood the last couple of times and I don't think it ever got as hot.

HoosierKettle

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #17 on: March 21, 2017, 01:06:59 PM »
I plan on doing straight lump again on the next one. I can't say I noticed a difference in flavor but I would have to do side by side

70monte

• WKC Brave
« Reply #18 on: March 21, 2017, 02:46:47 PM »
7monte. I can tell you about my first time cooking on the KettlePizza. I know that there are other grillfellas that have used it many more time.  I started with a chimney of unlit lump charcoal and formed a "c" shape to the back. Then I lit  a full chimney of regular charcoal and when that was ready I poured the lit charcoal in and set the unit in the kettle and set the pizza stone in.   I let the stone heat up for about 15 minutes. Then I took the unit off and put about 5 good size chunks of apple wood for them to catch fire. I should have used more wood to get the fire hot enough. After the chunks put the unit back on and let it come up to temp. Make sure that you close the vent in the lid.   When the fire is going you can put the pizza on the stone.  Turn the pizza frequently so that it does not burn. Have fun with it. Also there a a lot of videos on YouTube as well.

If you go to the oldest 2-3 pages of this Pizza subforum, that is  where a lot of us first got our KettlePizzas and there is a lot of good info from us learning how to get it dialed in.
Thanks for that very detailed explanation.  I'm about to do mine for the first time here as soon as I get the fire going.

Wayne
Thanks for the tip.  I actually read all of the pages in this section to get ideas before I started.  Some were very helpful.

Wayne