Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Rejected by my first Red Head..  (Read 2218 times)

UserGone

• WKC Brave
Re: Rejected by my first Red Head..
« Reply #15 on: March 24, 2017, 11:48:58 AM »
Yeah I live in a quiet area. Every evening on any day feels like a Monday.  There is a 5 foot curb rule. If it's 5 feet from the curb, it's FREE for the taking. I have seen some amazing items thrown away in my area.  Stuff that is worth hundreds at times with a piece of paper taped to it that reads, "FREE". I've seen plenty of gas grills on the curb but don't pick them up. Wish I owned a truck.
I could never throw stuff like that away. I've picked up a backpack leaf blower, few lawn mowers, kid toys, and a few bicycles in the 10 years I've lived here.
    This is s true story. When I first moved here from Texas I had not moved all my belongings yet the first couple of months. We were renting a house nearby and It was mid June. I was not aware of the 5 foot curb rule yet. That warm Saturday afternoon I decided to take a ride to the local hardware store and purchase a small Weber Charcoal grill since my older kettle was still in Texas. I got in my car and had only driven two blocks down my street when I see a 22" Webber kettle on the curb with a paper sign like mentioned. I was so puzzled and amazed. I still couldn't believe they were giving it away that I even went to knock on the door. This older gentleman answered and confirmed it was free. He probably wondered if I even knew how to read since he did leave a sign. I loaded it up and drove back home. It was a black 1991 N code with SS hinged grate. It was barely used but I still cleaned it up and made it look new again. Later my wife arrived and I showed her what I had found but she thought I was joking as the kettle looked new. What luck to find the very same item I was about to buy.
I grilled brats for the first time on that N code kettle. I had never cooked brats growing up in Texas. When we moved away from that rental home I set the grill back on the curb. It was gone by the end of the day.

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

UserGone

• WKC Brave
Rejected by my first Red Head..
« Reply #16 on: May 02, 2017, 11:43:41 AM »
Finally landed a Redhead... but in the wrong size...
   I'd rather accumulate the smaller SJ's or GA's due to their smaller garage footprint.

I've been in here a short while and what I've learned so far is:
- don't go knocking on anyone's house just cause you want to buy the kettle that's sitting in the yard. I don't mind knocking and asking politely just As some here don't mind to PM you and throw out a feeler on a kettle you just scored. "Hey, if you ever decide to part with it,, let me know"
- do search all the local listings, once they pop up at a great price...RUN to buy it cause if ya don't. Someone here will. Pristine or excellent condition kettles don't last long in the for sale sections.
- or just do a little of all of the above: get someone on here that lives closer to go knock for you or even pick it up for ya.
- you can even wait till a kettle is posted here with all the awesome angle shots, cleaned up and degreased. Then pay top dollar for it. At least you'll know what you are buying. Not driving 2+ hours cause of the poor sellers photos to find out the one side he didn't show you had a rusted out hole. "Yikes"
- just be patient and they will come.
  This 18" Redhead is an O code 1992. More pictures to follow in the Trade section. Looking for the right size little SJ in red for it. No cash accepted.

eLLWOODgGLEN

• WKC Brave
« Reply #17 on: May 02, 2017, 12:13:02 PM »
Nice 18" redhead.

My pursuit is for a non-black 26r.

....someday (sigh)......

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

UserGone

• WKC Brave
« Reply #18 on: May 02, 2017, 01:01:04 PM »
Yeah she is a nice Redhead..
Since I've signed on to this site. I've accumulated two flat top 26ers... The black one you don't want and a brownie. I Had to send someone else that was closer running to pick up that Chief. Those Pat. Pending 26er's don't last long at $35 with the twist on ash pan.
I'd love to get a matching Pat. Pending Warrior and Brave along with a 22" Chocolate kettle with ash sweeps to swap into my Gen2 Performer.
That's the only larger Kettle set I'm pursuing right now.