Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Rejected by my first Red Head..  (Read 2217 times)

UserGone

• WKC Brave
Rejected by my first Red Head..
« on: March 24, 2017, 06:22:45 AM »
I'm a new WKC user here but have been reading up on some older threads. The ones that I find most interesting are the threads with a title, "in the wild".  Where one member snaps photos of a kettle on someone's yard or patio. Then the guessing game begins to determine  just what model and year this kettle is. Some even knock on the door and offer to purchase the family heirloom Weber.

On the way to drop off my kids at school for the past 5 years. Round the corner is this older Red Head that always catches my eye. Maybe it was the color Red that got my attention first. This Red Weber kettle lives outside year round and almost appears to be yard art. The weathered wooden handles and patina on the red porcelain almost tells a story. I've been looking for possible movement on this particular kettle as a sign of regular use but this Red Head has been in the exact same spot for years now.
  So today I decided to approach this beautiful looking red head and see if I could get her to come home with me.  On my way up the walk, I glanced at the letter code and spotted a single letter "J".  It was a quick glance to not be noticed staring. The same way a young man glances to see if the woman of interest is wearing a wedding ring just before he moves in. Without missing a step I proceeded to knock on the front door. I was greater by an older gentleman. I must admit that I am rusty at this game of chase. Sadly I was rejected but that didn't kill any feelings I had. Maybe it's my personal past experience of being rejected by real life beautiful women. It's better to approach and ask then to have never known what could have been.

This makes me want to own a classic red head even more... The journey has begun.

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

varekai

• WKC Ranger
Re: Rejected by my first Red Head..
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2017, 06:29:08 AM »
Awesome story... sorry for your rejection.  But you did the right thing, you never know till ya try...There's other out there for ya, hang in there.  PS, is that where she sits day after day?..wow.

CGA,GGA, jumbo joe, 3-18" kettles,22" blue,green,yellow and 2 reds, 1-22" lid mod for pizza, a genesis silver,2 Red SS Performers,2 26ers,1 red, 1 chief and a Ranch Kettle.

HoosierKettle

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2017, 06:44:50 AM »
That is a good story. I use that same discreet glance when checking out yoga pants. Jussayin

Neil_VT00

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2017, 07:22:46 AM »
Nice story.  You missed one key step, next time leave your name and phone number in case he changes his mind in the future.  Good luck on your quest to find a redhead.

Where are you located? Maybe someone here can help you out.
Wanted: Burgundy 18"

Jeepin79

• WKC Brave
« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2017, 07:28:31 AM »
Do you think you can run faster than he can...............

Travis

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2017, 07:32:51 AM »
I, along with a lot of others, know exactly what your talking about. I drive by a house that I cold called last year with a redhead sitting under a big oak for years. Even offered the guy a one touch with a plastic handle (the redheads handle had moss and crap growing all over it), but he didn't want to sell. Left the name and number and still look up at it when driving by. [emoji17]
I also love yoga pants. [emoji6]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RottiGuy

• WKC Performer
« Reply #6 on: March 24, 2017, 07:34:04 AM »
Run Forrest Run!!

WNC

• WKC Performer
« Reply #7 on: March 24, 2017, 07:57:13 AM »
Who hasn't been rejected by a redhead...

Jeepin79

• WKC Brave
« Reply #8 on: March 24, 2017, 08:02:21 AM »
Who hasn't been rejected by a redhead...

And some blondes, brunettes, and that girl with the limp and lazy eye......

UserGone

• WKC Brave
« Reply #9 on: March 24, 2017, 08:11:31 AM »
Your absolutely right! Should have left contact information. Told you I've been out of this game for some time. lol 
I'll be sure to leave contact info next time.

I'm located in the Milwaukee north shore and I have no memories of anyone cooking on a red weber kettle. All have been the standard black kettles. I wasn't aware of the different colors that were available back then. I assumed the new colors were recently available so by reading here I am learning. The red head kettles just have a classy appearance. Sorry, "redhead", just realized its one word.

I was recently talking grill talk with a co-worker that is now in the market for a 26" kettle because of me. You see, Last October I invited  him and his wife to our 3rd annual backyard Oktoberfest BBQ. He was very impressed with my Mesquite Smoked Chicken and stated it was the best he's ever had. These are words every cook likes to hear. The chicken was prepared in my older 22.5" kettle that I recently upgraded to a 2005 performer. He had no idea something that tasty could ever come out of a weber charcoal kettle. While at our Oktoberfest party, He shared stories about a red kettle he was gifted from his wife in 1993-94. The description he gave was of a Weber Master Touch and a redhead to top it off. This MT redhead also lived outside in the elements and finally the bottom of the bowl rusted beyond repair. He ended up throwing the grill away and replaced it with a gas burner.

So now he would like to purchase a new charcoal grill and for me to provide some lessons on producing  the tasty chicken.
  Yesterday he told me he found the red lid and ash catcher in his garage. I was shocked to hear about this and reminded him he mentioned it was thrown away. He replied and said that he only threw away the rusty bowl along with the legs. But that he should have taken the time to remove the legs. He'd forgotten that he had stored them away. His wife approved of him giving me the remaining parts. She finds it hilarious that anyone would go threw extremes over a charcoal BBQ grill.
   I'm excited to see this red lid and ash catcher that I'll pick up tomorrow. So now I'll be searching for a decent red porcelain one-touch bowl with undercarriage.   

toebee97

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #10 on: March 24, 2017, 08:16:42 AM »
Dang that sucks man, here's to better luck in the future! Not to rub salt in the wound, but I just picked up a J off Craiglist yesterday, gonna start breaking it down and cleaning it up today. Probably going to start a restoration thread if you want to follow it. ;D
AA Black OTS 22 ~ DE Black Performer Deluxe
J Redhead OT 22 ~ AT Smokey Joe 14

brewtownbeatdown

• WKC Performer
« Reply #11 on: March 24, 2017, 08:52:09 AM »
There are a lot of people living in that area who are eclectic, collector types. [emoji383]doesn't usually sway 'em.  I live close by, in Greendale, so I'll give you a heads up whenever something comes up.

Obviously looking for a Glen Blue (who isn’t?😂).

Looking for anything Happy Cooker, including any re-branded as Montgomery Ward.  I’ve amassed a nice collection, but I’m missing a few still.  Let me know if you can help a fella out🤞

brewtownbeatdown

• WKC Performer
« Reply #12 on: March 24, 2017, 08:54:30 AM »
Oh, btw. I really, really (x infinity) love yoga pants also!!!

Looking for anything Happy Cooker, including any re-branded as Montgomery Ward.  I’ve amassed a nice collection, but I’m missing a few still.  Let me know if you can help a fella out🤞

Josh G

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #13 on: March 24, 2017, 09:52:33 AM »
You leave something out front like that in my neighborhood it means free and is gone in a day. 

brewtownbeatdown

• WKC Performer
« Reply #14 on: March 24, 2017, 11:11:46 AM »
You leave something out front like that in my neighborhood it means free and is gone in a day.
There's no HOOD in his neighborhood. You sneeze wrong in that area & [emoji61] are right there.