Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Yellow Gourmet help  (Read 264 times)

FatBottomGrills

• WKC Brave
Yellow Gourmet help
« on: May 02, 2023, 11:44:18 AM »
Hello grillfellas and grillgals.

I recently purchased this 76 or 77 kettle that I'm very pleased/grateful to have found. The previous owner spray painted the legs a lovely gray color it seems and some of that overspray made it onto the bowl. They also used red duct tape to keep the two sections of the bowl from coming apart during transport years ago.
I'd like to remove the gray overspray and tape and was looking for some advice. Is it safe to use paint stripper or other chemicals to remove the paint without damaging the porcelain enamel? All advice and direction is welcomed and appreciated! Glad to see so many new and familiar names active in 2023
Thanks for taking a look - Joe

Sent from my SM-G973U using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

Cellar2ful

Re: Yellow Gourmet help
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2023, 12:44:35 PM »
Congratulations on scoring your Gourmet.  I would recommend start by trying to remove the paint with a razor scraper in combination with #0000 steel wool.  I have used Goof Off on occasion to remove the adhesive left behind from duck tape. 

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Goof-Off-16-oz-Professional-Strength-Multi-Surface-Remover-FG654/100671841#overlay

I once used some Evaporust Gel to remove the rust on some bowl rivets.  A very small amount got onto the porcelain on the inside of the bowl and etched the porcelain.  I would not recommend using any paint strippers on the kettle.  Stay with a razor scraper and #0000 steel wool.
"Chasing Classic Kettles"

FatBottomGrills

• WKC Brave
« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2023, 01:23:52 PM »
Congratulations on scoring your Gourmet.  I would recommend start by trying to remove the paint with a razor scraper in combination with #0000 steel wool.  I have used Goof Off on occasion to remove the adhesive left behind from duck tape. 

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Goof-Off-16-oz-Professional-Strength-Multi-Surface-Remover-FG654/100671841#overlay

I once used some Evaporust Gel to remove the rust on some bowl rivets.  A very small amount got onto the porcelain on the inside of the bowl and etched the porcelain.  I would not recommend using any paint strippers on the kettle.  Stay with a razor scraper and #0000 steel wool.
Thank you Cellar2ful! Sounds like the careful way to go about it is best. Wishful thinking and laziness had me hoping for a magic fix. I'll get to work on the restoration. Progress pictures soon!

OkieGirl

• WKC Brave
« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2023, 05:50:34 PM »
You'll get lots of good info here, but I just wanted to say
Congratulations! That's a beauty.🤩

SixZeroFour

« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2023, 07:17:17 PM »
What a cool find, congratulations!

And excellent advice above - you'll be amazed at what the steel wool can do
W E B E R    B A R - B - Q    K E T T L E

FatBottomGrills

• WKC Brave
« Reply #5 on: May 04, 2023, 10:32:35 AM »
Thanks Okiegirl and 604. As soon as this rain stops in So Cal, I'll get started on break down and clean up. Can't wait! Thanks for the help all!