Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: WSM 18 charcoal ring in 22 kettle?  (Read 325 times)

Dumpster Fire BBQ

• Happy Cooker
WSM 18 charcoal ring in 22 kettle?
« on: April 26, 2023, 04:28:25 PM »
I have been thinking dropping the charcoal ring from my 18 WSM into my 22 kettle on the charcoal grate, and placing a pizza pan on top of the ring as a diffuser when using the snake method.

Has anyone tried this, and if so, what diameter pan should I get?

The goal is to get full use of all the real estate on the 22 with no direct heat. Kind of like the Master touch diffuser/ring system that Weber refuses to sell by itself.

Also, if I did this, is there enough room between the pizza pan and the cooking grate to fit a water pan?

Thanks in advance for any insight!

vader

• Smokey Joe
Re: WSM 18 charcoal ring in 22 kettle?
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2023, 06:36:15 AM »
I think it is like 9" tall, may burn the food if you overfill it.

SixZeroFour

« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2023, 09:11:51 AM »
Agreed. Looks to be just a touch too tall. The cooking grate will rest on the charcoal ring rather than the bowl tabs which wont leave any room for the pizza pan. Other than that its a good idea and would work...
W E B E R    B A R - B - Q    K E T T L E

vader

• Smokey Joe

vader

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2023, 09:59:13 AM »

Big Dawg

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #5 on: April 27, 2023, 04:05:28 PM »
I think it would work.  I used to have a 22 WSM and would sometimes use the ring in my 26er. 

But, as noted, there are a lot of other options, here one from Weber.

I'm all about putting together unique ways to cook on our beloved Kettles & Bullets.  But sometimes I'm not sure it's worth it re-invent the wheel.  Especially when, say the Weber version doubles as Vortex . . .

But, if you really want to do it, I do think it would work.  Not sure about the water pan though.

BD
The Sultans of Swine
22.5 WSM - Fat Boy
22.5 OTG - Little Man/26.75 - Big Kahuna

Dumpster Fire BBQ

• Happy Cooker
« Reply #6 on: April 27, 2023, 06:00:15 PM »
I just pulled my SnS out and dropped the 18" WSM ring into my 22" kettle, and it fits in there perfectly as a guide to keep a charcoal snake on the outer rim of the bowl. The cooking grate still rests on it's tabs, but there is zero room for a diffuser or water pan.

With that method, I could put a drip pan or water pan inside the ring, so that's cool, but it won't get me any kind of diffusion to shield the meat from direct heat from a snake.

Thanks for the links to those 3 options, that made it easy to compare the 3.

The new Weber thingy looks a little flimsy for the price, but it would have the added versatility of doubling as a vortex.

I was just hoping to slap something together with parts I have on hand, rather than buying (yet another) specialized gizmo for the ol' 22" kettle.

I just wish Weber would sell the ring from the Mastertouch diffuser on its own. It appears to just be the normal 18" WSM charcoal ring, cut in half so it sits lower under the cooking grate. That would be perfect with a 19"(?) Pizza pan on top as a diffuser/drip pan.

Oh well, I guess I could try levitating a pizza pan on a couple bricks or something, lol.

Thanks for the responses everyone!

swamprb

• WKC Performer
« Reply #7 on: April 29, 2023, 08:36:45 PM »
Here’s an 18” ring in the 26’r

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club mobile app
I cook on: Backwoods Gater, Lang 36, Hunsaker Smokers, Pellet Pro 22" WSM, BGE's, WSM's, Cajun Bandits, PK Grills, Drum Smokers, Genesis Silver C, Weber Q's, Cookshack 008, Little Chief, La Caja China #2, Lodge Sportsman...oh yeah! Weber Kettles! Kamado restoration and pit modification hack!