Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Weber Fireplace thoughts  (Read 3398 times)

Duke

• The Duke
Weber Fireplace thoughts
« on: April 10, 2013, 06:53:16 AM »
I was thinking about the fireplace a while back and you really could just set a kettle in the fireplace and cook. The original Fireplace was made to use outside in an upright position and then made to angle while in the fireplace. Makes sense, but the only reason I can see is that it would be difficult to lift the lid in a low fireplace, so pulling it from an angle would work nicely. It's a good invention and while I appreciate the thought that went into it, it's not completely neccessary.

I was thinking of making one a while back, but since I have a heavy wood stove I wouldn't be able to use it. Here are my thought anyways for others that have a fireplace that's still open.

You could use a smokey joe in there easily. You could use either an 18.5 or a 22.5 with either cut down legs or none. I bet you could also angle the grates by adding a nut and bolt to hold it in place and then set the bowl at and angle with some kind of bricks or iron like the original fireplace had if you wanted to take it further.

I think it would be fun to just cook in the fireplace on a rainy snowy night. I also think it was a great invention that just never really caught on. What are your thoughts. Any ideas about the design? I find the grate interesting.

Craig

• WKC Mod
Re: Weber Fireplace thoughts
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2013, 07:02:57 AM »
I'm one of the few people left on my block that still has a wood burning fireplace. I'd have to complete my other projects first before I thought of doing anything like that. Maybe use a donor black bowl and a donor red lid.. someday.

Duke

• The Duke
« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2013, 07:07:48 AM »
I have some thoughts and could help you make the parts for it. I am going to watch garage sales for some brass pieces like that. I bet you could just angle the bowl and turn the lid back toward the back of the bowl rather than leaving it forward and it would work the same. We could also cut down an old grate so it fits the angle. Just use a black 18 or 22 would be fine since they are so cheap and there will be cutting and drilling.

sparky

• WKC Brave
« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2013, 07:36:58 AM »
I wonder why there is no vent in the lid ? I guess you cook with the lid off or use that inside vent for the lid vent ?

Duke

• The Duke
« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2013, 07:51:57 AM »
I wonder why there is no vent in the lid ? I guess you cook with the lid off or use that inside vent for the lid vent ?
I was trying to figure that out myself. I guess they figured that by adding that rear vent it would take care of that and keep the smoke from going onto the house. I bet it would work the same by just turning the lid around though.

reillyranch

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #5 on: April 10, 2013, 11:58:09 AM »
Duke that's awesome.  Where and when did you get that?  That is an orginal Weber fireplace right? (I never know with you talented guys)

Updated......

Oh, nevermind.

« Last Edit: April 10, 2013, 08:27:10 PM by reillyranch »

Idahawk

• WKC Performer
Weber Fireplace thoughts
« Reply #6 on: April 10, 2013, 12:25:47 PM »
I'm thinking that maybe its meant to sit on the hearth only partially in the fireplace with the rear vent as the exhaust , the tilt feature would make it easier to see and remove the food in a smaller fireplace , but I'm only speculating .
Wanted plum/burgundy 18.5
WTB Color Copies of old Weber Catalogs

Duke

• The Duke
« Reply #7 on: April 10, 2013, 12:57:58 PM »
Duke that's awesome.  Where and when did you get that?  That is an orginal Weber fireplace right? (I never know with you talented guys)
No, I got the pictures from the one on ebay.

http://weberkettleclub.com/forums/trading-post/penthouse-on-ebay-wow/

Craig

• WKC Mod
« Reply #8 on: April 11, 2013, 08:26:37 PM »
Pretty sure an 18 would fit my fireplace.

Duke

• The Duke
« Reply #9 on: April 11, 2013, 08:43:56 PM »
Please post a picture of it and some measurements. Just setting an SJ or 18 in there might be the way to go. I wish mine was still open, but I like the woodstove and my grilling area is covered, kinda.

Craig

• WKC Mod
« Reply #10 on: April 12, 2013, 04:12:23 PM »
Please post a picture of it and some measurements. Just setting an SJ or 18 in there might be the way to go. I wish mine was still open, but I like the woodstove and my grilling area is covered, kinda.

This gave me a reason to clean out my fireplace.... here you go. This is my 60's 18.5. There's about 7 inches of clearance from the bowl handles and the back of the grill. I positioned the lid so the vent was at the back.

Theres just enough clearance to remove and replace the lid. But the chances of burning my arm on the lid would be reduced if the bowl was angled like the real thing.

If I were to actually do this, the redhead would definitely not be the kettle used. But it looks cool in the fireplace.
« Last Edit: April 12, 2013, 04:15:15 PM by Craig »

Duke

• The Duke
« Reply #11 on: April 12, 2013, 04:30:52 PM »
That's a perfect place to store. Surely the wife wouldn't complain about it sitting there. If anyone asks just tell them is a weber fireplace.  ;D  I think it's worth trying out on a night when it's miserable outside. I was thinking of shish kabobs on a smokey joe would also work nicely in a fireplace.