Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Preferred Process When Making Multiple Pies  (Read 2259 times)

pschiller86

• Smokey Joe
Preferred Process When Making Multiple Pies
« on: March 06, 2017, 08:19:40 AM »
What is everyone's preferred method when making multiple pies?

I'm thinking off the top of my head different ways to go...

Make all of them on multiple wooden pizza throws while the temp is coming up?
Make them one at a time while the first pizza is cooking?

MikeRocksTheRed

• WKC Performer
    • The Kettle Cookers (facebook group)
Re: Preferred Process When Making Multiple Pies
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2017, 08:33:56 AM »
What is everyone's preferred method when making multiple pies?

I'm thinking off the top of my head different ways to go...

Make all of them on multiple wooden pizza throws while the temp is coming up?
Make them one at a time while the first pizza is cooking?

It depends on how many pizzas you are making.  It's probably going to take you longer to make a pizza than cook one.  And if you are inside making a pizza while the first one is cooking, your first one is probably not going to cook evenly since you aren't outside rotating it a couple of times.

I make all of mine while the charcoal is getting going and the grill is heating up.  I make them on a wooden cutting board then transfer them to my wooded peels.  To transfer them, I make sure the top of the dough has enough flour on it to not be sticky then fold in half, then fold again.  Pick up the dough the place on corn mealed peel and unfold.  At this point I either finish the pizzas or will pre sauce them so my guest can top their own pizza.  I've found it I let people sauce there own pizzas they tend to use way too much sauce. 

If you are making more than two pizzas, you are going to burn through a lot of fuel if you are building pizzas in between cooking them.  You really want to be able to fire them off one after another while the fire is dialed in and the stone is the right temp.

62-68 Avocado BAR-B-Q Kettle, Red ER SS Performer, Green DA SS Performer, Black EE three wheeler, 1 SJS, 1 Homer Simpson SJS,  AT Black 26er, 82 Kettle Gasser Deluxe, "A" code 18.5 MBH, M Code Tuck-n-Carry, P Code Go Anywhere, 2015 RANCH FREAKING KETTLE!!!!!!

demosthenes9

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2017, 11:56:08 AM »
I should preface this by saying that I've only cooked pizzas twice, on back to back days.   

With that out of the way, rolling/forming the doughs is what took the most time for me.   Once that was out of the way, it only takes a minute or two to make a pie.   Spread the sauce, add the cheese, layer on the toppings.    I used 14 inch pizza screens on my cooks.     Roll/spread/form the dough.  Spray screens with Pam or alternative.  Lay the doughs out on the screens and you are ready to go.     When the cooker comes to temp, sauce, cheese and top your pizza right on the screen then slide the entire thing, screen and all onto the stone.   

If you have other people there, this makes it easy to get them involved.  You do the grunt work of forming the doughs.    They can then sauce, cheese and top how they want.

Nate

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2017, 05:38:36 PM »
I make one then put it in the fire then stretch the next dough real quick then monitor what I have cooking. When that's done I top the next one and into the fire it goes. Repeat the process.

Ken Mc

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2017, 09:57:47 AM »
while I'm cooking, wife is making....great team effort!!
Lookin' for a flat top 26"( not black)

Foster Dahlet

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #5 on: April 25, 2017, 11:33:48 AM »
we make em 1 at a time.... when one comes off, we stretch the next dough, add sauce and toppings....we'll get 6 pies done in the 700-750 range over the course of an hour, before the temp falls into the 600s.
I like my Kettles like my coffee....strong and black.

2019 Black 26" OKP; 2015 Black 22" OKP; 2004 Black SJP; mid 70's Statesman; mid 70's Gourmet, 2017 Black CGA; 2000 Black GGA;

WinnipegKettle

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #6 on: April 25, 2017, 05:50:54 PM »
Only cooked pies once so far but we made them directly onto parchment paper then trimmed the excess paper around the pie. I should have said with a little cornmeal under the dough. We made about 10 imperfectly formed pizzas all at once and brought them out one after the other on the peel. Be careful because they slide off the peel onto the stone very easily i almost lost the first one. Once you see the dough starting to cook pull the pie back  and pull the paper out from under the pie (i just used my fingers) but be careful.