Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: CL selling lesson learned  (Read 1900 times)

Bob BQ

• WKC Performer
CL selling lesson learned
« on: March 06, 2017, 01:17:10 PM »
I'm currently cleaning up & clearing out some grills that I've acquired over the past year or so. I sent a PM to the local WKC fella's  asking if anyone was interested in a 'P' code black 18 before i listed it to the general public. No replies from the local WKC, so late last night, I put an ad on CL, OfferUp, and FB marketplace.

There always seems to be a fair number 18 or 22 grills that sit on CL, et al forever, at a reasonable or even cheap price, that just don't seem to move. I thought my listing would be stagnant at $20. I was wrong. It's currently pending pickup, with 20+ people wanting to be next in line. The lesson learned? If you're selling a grill that's in good shape... consider pricing it higher than what you think it might sell for and add 'Or Best Offer'.

BBQ:it's what's for dinner. Grail: 18” Custom - "The Californian"

LightningBoldtz

• WKC Ambassador
Re: CL selling lesson learned
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2017, 01:54:22 PM »
Higher price and OBO or Best Offer gets WAY more traffic than lower price with Firm
I am not a collector, but I do have a small collection.
"You can have everything in life you want if you will just help enough other people get what they want"
8 MBH, 2 WoodDale, a SCG, and other stuff, including Pellet grills.

Travis

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2017, 03:48:47 PM »
Man, I guess I missed your local post about that. I'm not in the market anyway, but when I saw it on the markets, I thought of kettlebb, and how he mentioned late last year buying one for $40ish. I thought $20 is a perfect price, but then shipping would not be reasonable. Anyways, what I'm saying is $20-30 is a fair deal. You walk away happy and so do they.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

kettlebb

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2017, 03:58:56 PM »
I ended up passing on that 18" Travis. It was clean and $40 was the lowest they would go. After some thought I decided that an 18" doesn't fit in my rotation right now. Maybe if I cooked on one I'd know what it can and can't do but the 22" is good for the family right now.

Not saying to price gouge but there's nothing wrong with posting it higher. It will get hits or it won't. I think it's better to give some haggle room.  I don't know what a new 18 costs but around here that kettle is listed on CL between 40-60 and if I wanted an 18 I'd pay the 40 if it was clean like yours.

Looking for: Red MBH 26"(The Aristocrat), Chestnut-coppertone (The Estate), Glen-blue (The Imperial), and The Plainsman.

kettlebb

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2017, 03:59:23 PM »
I think it's cool how they look like an acorn.

Looking for: Red MBH 26"(The Aristocrat), Chestnut-coppertone (The Estate), Glen-blue (The Imperial), and The Plainsman.

Travis

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #5 on: March 06, 2017, 04:07:46 PM »
I ended up passing on that 18" Travis. It was clean and $40 was the lowest they would go. After some thought I decided that an 18" doesn't fit in my rotation right now. Maybe if I cooked on one I'd know what it can and can't do but the 22" is good for the family right now.

Not saying to price gouge but there's nothing wrong with posting it higher. It will get hits or it won't. I think it's better to give some haggle room.  I don't know what a new 18 costs but around here that kettle is listed on CL between 40-60 and if I wanted an 18 I'd pay the 40 if it was clean like yours.

That's very true about the pricing.

blksabbath

• WKC Ranger
CL selling lesson learned
« Reply #6 on: March 06, 2017, 06:46:16 PM »
CL pricing is tough to call.  I thought I might need another 18" for a minute when I saw your post pop up (I didn't know that was yours).  For $20 why not?

I think your description gave the buyers way more confidence that they were getting a nice grill at a killer price.

« Last Edit: March 06, 2017, 06:48:41 PM by blksabbath »

Bob BQ

• WKC Performer
« Reply #7 on: March 06, 2017, 07:48:30 PM »
Thanks for the input, Fellas.

You walk away happy and so do they.

The guy that bought it about skipped away happy. First thing he checked was to make sure it had the brand new cooking grate.  8)

I'm pleased, as well. This was an estate sale pickup from this past summer. Was originally marked $25; it was the last day of the sale, so it was 1/2 off. It was missing both grates and the ash pan. They were in the last hour of the sale when I got there. I offered $5, they took it. I cherry picked the handles and the near-pristine white walled wheels off of it and it's been sitting ever since. The only thing I did prior to selling it was to give the outside a wipedown, added my worst 18 ash pan, an old char grate, a new non-flip cook grate that I've had for years, old-style plastic handles and… oila. I got more $ than I what I had into it, including time, cleared up some space, got a couple of bonus points from the wife, and made a stranger happy.

I think your description gave the buyers way more confidence that they were getting a nice grill at a killer price.
  He most certainly did get a nice grill at a killer price.  8)

Travis

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #8 on: March 06, 2017, 07:52:26 PM »
Good deal, bro. Stand up grillfella. [emoji106][emoji106]

captjoe06

• WKC Performer
    • Northeast BBQ
« Reply #9 on: March 07, 2017, 08:43:08 AM »
Thumbs up! I like your line of thinking 

Sent from my LGLS991 using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

Smokey Joe Black, Smokey Joe Lime Green, Original Kettle Premium Black,'92 Red OTS, Yellow Simpson's 22, 78 Red MBH, '80 Black MBH, '10 Brick Red Performer,'12 Grass Green Performer, '03 Blue SSP, '97 Blue SSP, 18 inch WSM

charred

• WKC Performer
« Reply #10 on: March 07, 2017, 10:19:20 AM »
Why not gouge? It's the American way.

Personally, I don't go that route.

Reminds me, I have a NIB Black One Touch Plus. $500/OBO    ::)

hopelessly, helplessly, happily addicted to a shipload of Webers

HoosierKettle

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #11 on: March 07, 2017, 10:52:01 AM »

I think it's cool how they look like an acorn.

I do too. They look like a mini flat top. That's probably the main reason I have one.  Plus they are nice to travel with if you don't have a jumbo joe.

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

HoosierKettle

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #12 on: March 07, 2017, 10:53:03 AM »
I just realized, this has 2 bowl handles. Was this a gold?

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

Vwbuggin64

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #13 on: March 07, 2017, 01:43:19 PM »
It seems either you price it too low and get hundreds of hits or you price it reasonably (or a little high) and crickets. The way of CL. At least you didn't jack up the price on the first in line after getting several "offers" like we hear about on this forum.
Rollin coal

26" 2010 AD Code (Black), 22" 81 B (Faded Black), 22" 86 H (Black),91 N SJ (black), 18" 65 (Red), 12 AU Tostito SJ , 22" CU (Copper), 22” 2018 CB (Crimson),22” (Brown)Happy Cooker, Q2000 Charcoal, Weber Spirit, 22in Yellow, 18"WSM, Happy cooker SJ

Bob BQ

• WKC Performer
« Reply #14 on: March 08, 2017, 06:17:12 PM »
I just realized, this has 2 bowl handles. Was this a gold?

Nope. I'd still have it if it was  [emoji41]

Sent from my iPhone using an old Jedi mind trick
« Last Edit: March 08, 2017, 06:18:48 PM by Bob BQ »