Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Ribs in a hurry? Hot and Fast.  (Read 2782 times)

tspin818

• WKC Brave
Ribs in a hurry? Hot and Fast.
« on: February 27, 2017, 08:09:23 PM »
Took some ribs out to thaw this morning, and then got a call from work that I needed to run out and take care of. Stupid job keeps interfering with my grilling plans. Anyway, I didn't get home until 4:30 and it was still drizzling outside. The ribs were well thawed and screaming for me to cook them, so hot and fast it is. I threw a full chimney of KBB on the performer to light while I whipped up some rub that would be okay for my daughter to eat on her Whole 30 eating plan. About 30 minutes later the SSP was up to temp and ready to cook;

Hot and Fast Whole 30 ribs by tspin818,

The dome temp was right around 475°. I put a fist sized chunk of Pecan wood right above the coals on the grate, and put the ribs on the other side of the grill:

The temp stayed above 400° for the whole cook. After 1 hour I wrapped the ribs in foil and then let them cook another 20 minutes or so. Pulled them, sliced them, and had them on the table by 6:30.

A good smoke ring, nice and moist, tender and tasty. Served with potatoes that were also Whole 30 compliant for my daughter:

I like doing the ribs like this, never have liked fall off the bone ribs. These had a nice bite through, and left the bones nice and clean.
Holy grail Red Smokey Joe

Larry

• WKC Brave
Re: Ribs in a hurry? Hot and Fast.
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2017, 08:14:10 PM »
I've never made ribs in 1 hr 20 mins. I'll have to give it a try. I also prefer ribs with a nice bite. Thanks for the info. Looks delicious!

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club mobile app
It's always better when you're cooking on a Weber!

captjoe06

• WKC Performer
    • Northeast BBQ
« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2017, 11:53:17 PM »
Did you put any liquid in the foil when you wrapped them?

Sent from my LGLS991 using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

Smokey Joe Black, Smokey Joe Lime Green, Original Kettle Premium Black,'92 Red OTS, Yellow Simpson's 22, 78 Red MBH, '80 Black MBH, '10 Brick Red Performer,'12 Grass Green Performer, '03 Blue SSP, '97 Blue SSP, 18 inch WSM

jeffrackmo

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2017, 04:58:46 AM »
What @captjoe06 said... Haven't tried Hot n Fast yet.  Looks like its do-able....

Any liquid?  Apple Juice???  beer???  sompthin.....

Thanks and great pics btw!!

Jeff
Lets just say I have acquired a few Kettles.  Big and small.   Vintage and New...  Some say I have a problem.  I find the Kettle, buy the Kettle, USE the Kettle...No problem...

tspin818

• WKC Brave
« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2017, 05:41:20 AM »
Did you put any liquid in the foil when you wrapped them?

Sent from my LGLS991 using Weber Kettle Club mobile app
I didn't put anything in the foil, just wrapped them dry. The trick with these is the dry rub doesn't have any sugars in it to caramelize. I just wrapped them so they wouldn't get too crunchy at that temp.

Sent from my XT1254 using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

greenweb

• WKC Performer
« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2017, 05:40:15 PM »
Ribs and the SSP both look great! My family also prefer these hot and fast vs low and slow fall off the bone ribs. Most of times, I don't even foil them. They still turn out juicy. I try keeping cooking temp below 400f indirect on my ribs.

HoosierKettle

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #6 on: February 28, 2017, 07:01:29 PM »
Looks great. Hot and fast is how I have always done them. I experimented with low and slow last year on a couple cooks and we prefer them hot and fast. I put normal rub on them and it doesn't burn. At least not enough to taste. I haven't tried wrapping them. Usually just let it roll but I do put water in the drip pan. Don't know if that makes any difference though.

Darko

• WKC Performer
« Reply #7 on: February 28, 2017, 09:05:36 PM »
I love hot & fast ribs.  It's the only way I do them, since I learned of that method.

kettlecook

• WKC Brave
« Reply #8 on: March 01, 2017, 08:28:28 AM »
Ribs look great! Never have I tried any that fast. Thanks so much for posting the details.

Qreps

• WKC Brave
« Reply #9 on: March 01, 2017, 07:39:47 PM »
Your ribs look great I'll have to try your method thanks for the post.

Sent from my iPad using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

RottiGuy

• WKC Performer
« Reply #10 on: March 02, 2017, 03:19:25 AM »
Looks great!!..Will try that next time as well!!

Jayco

• Happy Cooker
« Reply #11 on: March 03, 2017, 04:02:49 AM »
Nice, fast method! Gonna give it a go. Have to convince the family, as they are lovers of the 'fall off the bone' method I use on my pellet smoker.

Bob R

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #12 on: March 12, 2017, 08:12:46 AM »
I was just looking at some ribs at Wal Mart yesterday. I ended up with Salmon. It was marked down, and looked good. It was not bad last night with a baked potato and foiled onion and carrots.
I have zero plans for today. I may make a run and get the ribs, and another onion. My Weber 26 could use some exercise. So could my UDS. I have not used it all Winter. Another option would be my brothers 22 Inch Smoke EZ attachment for his 22 Weber. The Sun is out, and the thermometer says it is up to 50. A big improvement from snow yesterday.  I am glad you got me to thinking about ribs. Grilling or smoking would be a good use of this afternoon.

Bob

Bob

tspin818

• WKC Brave
« Reply #13 on: March 12, 2017, 06:56:28 PM »
I was just looking at some ribs at Wal Mart yesterday. I ended up with Salmon. It was marked down, and looked good. It was not bad last night with a baked potato and foiled onion and carrots.
I have zero plans for today. I may make a run and get the ribs, and another onion. My Weber 26 could use some exercise. So could my UDS. I have not used it all Winter. Another option would be my brothers 22 Inch Smoke EZ attachment for his 22 Weber. The Sun is out, and the thermometer says it is up to 50. A big improvement from snow yesterday.  I am glad you got me to thinking about ribs. Grilling or smoking would be a good use of this afternoon.

Bob

Bob
Good luck and happy grilling!

Sent from my XT1254 using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

HoosierKettle

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #14 on: March 13, 2017, 01:30:36 PM »
Doing some hot and fast tonight. Trying out mulberry for the first time.