Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Recipe Section  (Read 4226 times)

Josh G

• WKC Ranger
Recipe Section
« on: February 27, 2017, 12:49:40 PM »
I am always looking for new recipes and was thinking it would be nice to have an area where people can post their recipes based on different categories.

Beef, Fowl, Pork, Fish, etc.

So then if I have a tri tip I can just head to the Beef Recipe folder and look through and find something that sounds good to try. 

I know we already have one setup for Cooks, Pics & Recipes but I think if we had one that was exclusively for recipes it would really be a nice addition to the site.

There are a ton of great cooks on here and everyone is always looking for something new to try.

@Troy

« Last Edit: March 02, 2017, 09:01:50 AM by Josh G »

Troy

• Statesman
Re: Recipe Section
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2017, 02:29:21 PM »
I love the vision!
We tried something like this originally, but there wasn't enough support for it :(

I personally plan to create more food content this year, maybe the initiative will help drum up more food/recipe content throughout and we can explore this idea again.

bear

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2017, 02:00:24 AM »
Agreed, great idea Josh

RumBar

• WKC Brave
« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2017, 03:05:08 AM »
I'd love this!

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

Travis

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2017, 11:18:45 PM »
Absolutely

hawgheaven

• WKC Performer
    • Hawg Heaven Smokin' BBQ
« Reply #5 on: March 02, 2017, 09:45:34 AM »
It's a great idea IMO, as long as it is categorized and kept up with contributors. I've seen this on other sites where it worked well, or went to hell.
Multiple kettles and WSM's. I am not a collector, just a gatherer... and a sick bastard.

EricD

• WKC Brave
« Reply #6 on: March 02, 2017, 10:05:39 AM »
I agree with the sentiments made already.   Yes, I'd love a recipe section!   But....unfortunately, I think it will slowly go the wayside.
There is a recipe section on the BBQ Brethren forum, which is a huge BBQ site, that has almost nothing in recipes.  I haven't checked back in while because it hasn't been updated at all.
22" Kettle black, 18" Kettle black,Genesis S-310 Stainless Gasser, Genesis Silver Edition Gasser, 22" Weber Smoky Mountain, 28" Blackstone Griddle, Blackstone Pizza oven, Maverick ET-732
ThermaPop, Grillaholics Grill Mat, PizzaQue, Kettle Rotiserrie

MikeRocksTheRed

• WKC Performer
    • The Kettle Cookers (facebook group)
« Reply #7 on: March 02, 2017, 10:54:56 AM »
Might as well include grill setup and some of the recipe when you post cook pics since someone is going to ask your for it anyway.  Sure, most of us don't need details on a fairly standard pork butt or rack of ribs, but for most other cooks if you post a pic you are going to be asked for details.  Maybe adding "RECIPEINCLUDED", one word to your posting title would allow for people to search for them easier.
62-68 Avocado BAR-B-Q Kettle, Red ER SS Performer, Green DA SS Performer, Black EE three wheeler, 1 SJS, 1 Homer Simpson SJS,  AT Black 26er, 82 Kettle Gasser Deluxe, "A" code 18.5 MBH, M Code Tuck-n-Carry, P Code Go Anywhere, 2015 RANCH FREAKING KETTLE!!!!!!

pbe gummi bear

• WKC Mod
« Reply #8 on: March 02, 2017, 12:04:12 PM »
I love the idea of the recipe section but I think it wouldn't be that popular. We used to have one and it was pretty dead. WKC is more about collecting and some cooking. It's not as hardcore on the cooking side of things as the brethren or TVWBB. Also, it wouldn't be as impactful without a standard recipe format and someone curating them.

Maybe a good option would be to "promote" some of the comprehensive useful threads into the recipe subcategory for curation and reference.
"Have you hugged your Weber today?"
Check out WKC on Facebook:
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Weber-Kettle-Club/521728011229791

Love-a-Weber

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #9 on: March 03, 2017, 01:46:19 AM »
I like the idea, but I think we would need participants and how would we keep track of the good and not so good recipes, and then they would need updated from time to time.

What about a possible, focused weekly or by-weekly challenge or event. All for fun of course no rewards just for fun! Randomly pick something for the club to cook. Example (tacos) we find / make a recipe and post our cooks with recipes.

Or youtube channel copycat recipe reviews/cooks. (Example) Malcolm Reed from you tube channel (how to bbq right) just uploaded a video doing smoked crab legs that looks killer!

Just suggestions,  but participation is key and I think it sounds fun but also alot work to try to keep everything categorized and easily referenced for future use.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

JDann24

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #10 on: March 03, 2017, 10:08:40 AM »
I like the idea, but I think we would need participants and how would we keep track of the good and not so good recipes, and then they would need updated from time to time.

What about a possible, focused weekly or by-weekly challenge or event. All for fun of course no rewards just for fun! Randomly pick something for the club to cook. Example (tacos) we find / make a recipe and post our cooks with recipes.

Or youtube channel copycat recipe reviews/cooks. (Example) Malcolm Reed from you tube channel (how to bbq right) just uploaded a video doing smoked crab legs that looks killer!

Just suggestions,  but participation is key and I think it sounds fun but also alot work to try to keep everything categorized and easily referenced for future use.

I like this idea.
Looking for colored 18's and SJ's.

LightningBoldtz

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #11 on: March 04, 2017, 07:22:14 AM »
maybe we should revisit this, question how should it be laid out?

main dishes
sides
appetizers
other?

I say this because I would like to avoid a long list of sub categories that never get touched.
I am not a collector, but I do have a small collection.
"You can have everything in life you want if you will just help enough other people get what they want"
8 MBH, 2 WoodDale, a SCG, and other stuff, including Pellet grills.

Love-a-Weber

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #12 on: March 04, 2017, 07:52:33 AM »
maybe we should revisit this, question how should it be laid out?

main dishes
sides
appetizers
other?

I say this because I would like to avoid a long list of sub categories that never get touched.
As far as layout I get on webers phone app all the time and they have a really nice layout for recipes (unfortunately it doesn't seam to ever get updated with new recipes) but there layout is nice! Basically they have a little icon of a animal (pig) (cow) (bird) etc. you just touch a icon and the recipes for that animal come up, now I have no idea how hard that is to do though.

walley_eye

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #13 on: March 04, 2017, 07:15:47 PM »
This Canadian is all in on the idea!

Here is my suggestion on the subject. Add a Recipe tab and then break it down by type of food, ie. beef, pork, fish, poultry, wild game...

Sent from my iPad using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

captjoe06

• WKC Performer
    • Northeast BBQ
« Reply #14 on: March 05, 2017, 01:14:36 AM »
I think that for the amount of full on recipes that get posted here the cooks sub forum is already enough. I come here probably 100 times a day or more and there are some sub forums that I rarely visit because they're just not on my radar as much. So the question I'd have is if this will just end up diluting that sub forum and creating less activity there which would lead to less clicks there and engagement? 

For example last week at the last minute I thought it would be fun to have a Northeast Meetup.  Hoping to catch as many guys from the Northeast I posted the last minute announcement in the main forum because I felt that if I posted it only two days before in the Meetup subforum the chances would be slim that any of the guys would see it as its only a subforum I visit maybe once a month. Next time we have a Meetup I'll post it far in advance in the Meetup subforum but it wouldn't have done me much good with only two days notice.

Anyway, food for thought. Maybe a dedicated subforum with recipes would encourage more postings, but as it is I kinda feel like it would be building one to sabotage an established subforum that already exists.   

Maybe there's some other reason for it that I'm too dumb to get(entirely possible)

Sent from my LGLS991 using Weber Kettle Club mobile app
« Last Edit: March 05, 2017, 01:17:19 AM by captjoe06 »
Smokey Joe Black, Smokey Joe Lime Green, Original Kettle Premium Black,'92 Red OTS, Yellow Simpson's 22, 78 Red MBH, '80 Black MBH, '10 Brick Red Performer,'12 Grass Green Performer, '03 Blue SSP, '97 Blue SSP, 18 inch WSM