Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Happy National Pizza Day!  (Read 3473 times)

Nate

• WKC Ranger
Re: Happy National Pizza Day!
« Reply #15 on: February 22, 2017, 05:45:41 PM »
Aaaaaahh yeah! Awesome!

MikeRocksTheRed

• WKC Performer
    • The Kettle Cookers (facebook group)
« Reply #16 on: February 23, 2017, 08:53:09 AM »
Looks like a great pizza cook, Mike! Been a while since posting any here but you might appreciate this. We were out of town just yesterday in a very large city in the south. Found ourselves at an multiple award winning and highly acclaimed place known for its authentic Neapolitan wood fired oven pizza. Well, ordered the Margherita, and was sorely disappointed. Not quite enough mozzarella for my taste, but much more importantly, outside crust charred before the bottom crust got crisp. I guess they just had a newbie that was a bit of a pyro...lol, but it just went to show that as you well know, cooking pizza is a lot more than just having the perfect setup, like having to have the baking steel on the KettlePizza, for instance. Anyhow, your pies look great! Picked up some Boar's Head pepperoni the other day and will get rest of what we need to fire up the KettlePizza this week. Thanks for the inspiration and I'm glad you're still posting your pizza cooks with the KettlePizza. [emoji106][emoji106]

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

A true neapolitan pizza will be very limp in the middle.  In Italy they don't even attempt to pick them up and use a fork and a knife to eat it.  If you go to an acclaimed neapolitan pizza joint and ask them to cook it longer so its crispy chance are it still won't come out crispy!
« Last Edit: February 23, 2017, 12:27:43 PM by MikeRocksTheRed »
62-68 Avocado BAR-B-Q Kettle, Red ER SS Performer, Green DA SS Performer, Black EE three wheeler, 1 SJS, 1 Homer Simpson SJS,  AT Black 26er, 82 Kettle Gasser Deluxe, "A" code 18.5 MBH, M Code Tuck-n-Carry, P Code Go Anywhere, 2015 RANCH FREAKING KETTLE!!!!!!

kettlecook

• WKC Brave
Happy National Pizza Day!
« Reply #17 on: February 23, 2017, 11:03:21 AM »
Looks like a great pizza cook, Mike! Been a while since posting any here but you might appreciate this. We were out of town just yesterday in a very large city in the south. Found ourselves at an multiple award winning and highly acclaimed place known for its authentic Neapolitan wood fired oven pizza. Well, ordered the Margherita, and was sorely disappointed. Not quite enough mozzarella for my taste, but much more importantly, outside crust charred before the bottom crust got crisp. I guess they just had a newbie that was a bit of a pyro...lol, but it just went to show that as you well know, cooking pizza is a lot more than just having the perfect setup, like having to have the baking steel on the KettlePizza, for instance. Anyhow, your pies look great! Picked up some Boar's Head pepperoni the other day and will get rest of what we need to fire up the KettlePizza this week. Thanks for the inspiration and I'm glad you're still posting your pizza cooks with the KettlePizza. [emoji106][emoji106]

A true neapolitan pizza will be very limp in the middle.  In Italy they don't even attempt to pick them up and use a fork and a knife to eat it.  If you go to an acclaimed neapolitan pizza joint and ask them to cook it longer so its crispy chance are it still won't come out crispy!

Hmmm...makes me wonder if we both have the same idea of crisp. I wasn't looking for cracker crust with wet toppings, and yes, I realize you're supposed to pick up and fold to eat. That's when I noticed that the bottom crust didn't even look done. This is about how I like my bottom crust to look like and it was nowhere close. Could've have been, either, because there was already enough substantial charring around the top crust that it actually tasted too burnt to eat it all the way to the edge.

« Last Edit: February 23, 2017, 11:27:10 AM by kettlecook »

MikeRocksTheRed

• WKC Performer
    • The Kettle Cookers (facebook group)
« Reply #18 on: February 23, 2017, 12:42:18 PM »

Hmmm...makes me wonder if we both have the same idea of crisp. I wasn't looking for cracker crust with wet toppings, and yes, I realize you're supposed to pick up and fold to eat. That's when I noticed that the bottom crust didn't even look done. This is about how I like my bottom crust to look like and it was nowhere close. Could've have been, either, because there was already enough substantial charring around the top crust that it actually tasted too burnt to eat it all the way to the edge.

Sounds like we like our crust the same way...like you said, not crispy like a cracker, but a bit of a crunchy layer then mostly chewy.

I found this pdf that explains all about being official certified neapolitan pizza.  Crazy!!!!
From the PDF:
"The consistency of the " Verace Pizza Napoletana " - (Vera Pizza Napoletana) should be
soft, elastic, easy to manipulate and fold. The centre should be particularly soft to the
touch and taste
, where the red of the tomato is evident, and to which the oil or for the
‘Pizza Marinara, the green of the oregano and the white of the garlic has perfectly
amalgamated; In the case of the Pizza Margherita, the white of the mozzarella should
appear in evenly spread patches, with the green of the basil leaves, slightly darkened by
the cooking process. "
62-68 Avocado BAR-B-Q Kettle, Red ER SS Performer, Green DA SS Performer, Black EE three wheeler, 1 SJS, 1 Homer Simpson SJS,  AT Black 26er, 82 Kettle Gasser Deluxe, "A" code 18.5 MBH, M Code Tuck-n-Carry, P Code Go Anywhere, 2015 RANCH FREAKING KETTLE!!!!!!

kettlecook

• WKC Brave
« Reply #19 on: February 23, 2017, 01:08:25 PM »
Thanks for the feedback, man. All I know for sure is despite it being a decent size pie, I was still hungry and rather disappointed. Best pizza joint I've been to is DESANO'S. No matter how the crust is to be though, next time I'll pass on the margherita for something with some more proteins on top.