Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Texas chili  (Read 1893 times)

HoosierKettle

• WKC Ambassador
Texas chili
« on: February 25, 2017, 12:09:52 PM »
Browned a chuckie in the performer with just gas then moved to the ots to slow cook. I used 3 jalapeņo, and a few other varieties of peppers that I don't remember the names. Rotel and another can of diced tomato, and a can of beer. 3 more hours to go.

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

Travis

• WKC Ambassador
Re: Texas chili
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2017, 01:04:25 PM »
Clever way to Brown the chuck. Lookin good man.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Davescprktl

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2017, 01:08:42 PM »
Like your set up.  Cool way to use CI pot.  Chili looks great!
OKP Crimson, 22" H Code Brownie, SJS Lime, 22" CB Stacker, Red Q2200, Performer Deluxe CB slate blue

"If God didn't want us to eat animals, why did he make them out of meat?"  H. Simpson

WNC

• WKC Performer
« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2017, 01:15:47 PM »
Nice!
Sometimes you use two kettles, not because you have to, but because you can [emoji3]

HoosierKettle

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2017, 02:23:10 PM »
Thanks fellas. I'm really happy with the results. Had a great kick to it and the texture was right. I've done it before less successfully.

kettlebb

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2017, 03:34:20 PM »
Yes! I'd take a bowl of that with a side of some sour cream and a PBR.

Looking for: Red MBH 26"(The Aristocrat), Chestnut-coppertone (The Estate), Glen-blue (The Imperial), and The Plainsman.

Travis

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #6 on: February 25, 2017, 03:49:26 PM »
Yes! I'd take a bowl of that with a side of some sour cream and a PBR.

Hell yes

HoosierKettle

• WKC Ambassador
Texas chili
« Reply #7 on: February 25, 2017, 03:55:52 PM »
I hit a small detour a couple hours ago. My daughter says "hey, lets make some more pretzels".  She made them with my help. These went on the oven.  That's a full day of cooking [emoji3]

Look what you started @Travis

« Last Edit: February 25, 2017, 04:01:38 PM by HoosierKettle »

wessonjb

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #8 on: February 25, 2017, 04:09:35 PM »
Looks great. Made a 3 dump chili today .

kettlebb

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #9 on: February 25, 2017, 04:35:04 PM »
@HoosierKettle I'm finished with my chili now, getting one of those pretzels and another PBR.

@wessonjb nice cast iron Dutch oven there. What is a 3 dump chili?

Looking for: Red MBH 26"(The Aristocrat), Chestnut-coppertone (The Estate), Glen-blue (The Imperial), and The Plainsman.

Geezer

• WKC Brave
« Reply #10 on: February 25, 2017, 04:47:23 PM »
Very clever to use the charcoal baskets that way.  I'll be sure to remember to do that the next time I make my stew.  Those cast iron Dutch ovens get pretty heavy when they're full.

HoosierKettle

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #11 on: February 25, 2017, 06:22:48 PM »

I looked up 3 dump.  That makes a lot of sense.  I know I usually add a lot of seasoning in the beginning only to find I need to add more later and sometimes more the next day for leftovers.

for those who don't know, 3 dump is adding specific seasonings at 3 different times during the cook.  I did not do this but it does make sense to me.

wessonjb

• WKC Ranger
Texas chili
« Reply #12 on: February 25, 2017, 06:22:50 PM »
@HoosierKettle I'm finished with my chili now, getting one of those pretzels and another PBR.

@wessonjb nice cast iron Dutch oven there. What is a 3 dump chili?

Dutch is 1917-1920 Martin ( hamburger logo) and was given to me as a gift. 3 dump chili was a chili winning championship recipe from a guy in the 2000's. It's Texas style but I added my own spin to it with beans and some other things. Takes little over 4 hours and you add the dumps throughout the cook and the last dump 15 minutes before you serve. Packed with flavor. 3 different chili powders and bunch of other stuff.

« Last Edit: February 25, 2017, 06:50:20 PM by wessonjb »

HoosierKettle

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #13 on: February 25, 2017, 06:27:03 PM »
Very clever to use the charcoal baskets that way.  I'll be sure to remember to do that the next time I make my stew.  Those cast iron Dutch ovens get pretty heavy when they're full.

It's probably been done before but I can't say I've seen it.  I didn't want to get the cast iron all dirty with ash even thought that's what they are made for lol.  Also, it raises it up at a convenient stirring height and the lid bridges nicely between the ci and the bowl when checking or stirring.  I was a little concerned that the baskets would support the weight but it's no problem unless your baskets are toast.

wessonjb

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #14 on: February 25, 2017, 06:53:38 PM »

I looked up 3 dump.  That makes a lot of sense.  I know I usually add a lot of seasoning in the beginning only to find I need to add more later and sometimes more the next day for leftovers.

for those who don't know, 3 dump is adding specific seasonings at 3 different times during the cook.  I did not do this but it does make sense to me.
never thought to do this all the years I made chili. Makes a huge difference with the dumps and then let simmer. Try it next time and you'll never go back