Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Is she worth Saving? Warning pic heavy  (Read 4979 times)

danpeikes

• Smokey Joe
    • Meat Your Vegetables
Is she worth Saving? Warning pic heavy
« on: February 24, 2017, 06:44:24 AM »
OK so here is the deal.  Someone was giving away this 6 burner Weber Summit Natural Gas.  I took it without to much inspection.  Upon further review is it a bit rougher than I expected.  It looks like it may run but everything on the inside looks a little rustier than I expected especially the flavorizer bars.  I can't really test it as I don't have a gas line right now, so before I spend the money to put in the gas line (probably close to $1000) I want to know if people think it is worthwhile to try to clean her up.  Also if there is some sort of bottled gas solution that I can use to test it please let me know.
Thanks,
Daniel

PS If you have recommendations for people in the Chicago area that restore grills or install gas line I would appreciate it.

Looking for 22" or 26" kettles and 22" WSMs, NIB or like new in the Chicago area.
Also, looking for old Summit gas grill parts.

wessonjb

• WKC Ranger
Re: Is she worth Saving? Warning pic heavy
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2017, 09:15:36 AM »
They make a conversion kit from natural gas to propane . 

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

wessonjb

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2017, 09:18:35 AM »
They make a conversion kit from natural gas to propane . 

Think it's $50 but maybe a little more for the 6 burner. I've watched YouTube videos of it being done and it's fairly easy and not time consuming

Bob BQ

• WKC Performer
« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2017, 12:10:20 PM »
@LightningBoldtz - ever restore a 6 burner summit?
BBQ:it's what's for dinner. Grail: 18” Custom - "The Californian"

LightningBoldtz

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2017, 12:12:11 PM »
@LightningBoldtz - ever restore a 6 burner summit?

Never have, one like this would probably get costly.
I am not a collector, but I do have a small collection.
"You can have everything in life you want if you will just help enough other people get what they want"

Qreps

• WKC Brave
« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2017, 04:02:01 PM »
I would definitely try cleaning her up if the burners aren't  too rusted you should be able to get it to run.

Sent from my SM-G360T1 using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

demosthenes9

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #6 on: February 25, 2017, 11:51:10 PM »
I did a restore on the exact same model.   You could be getting into a money pit.     To check the burners, you could disconnect the NG hose and hook up a LP regulator/hose to it and fire it up.     All parts for this are going to be more expensive than parts for a Genny, but then again, that Summit was over $2K originally.   

The biggest concern in my book is rust, both the cart and the firebox.   Unlike the single cast firebox of the Genny's, the Summit's lower firebox is 4 pieces.   The left and right are cast aluminum, but the front and back are porcelain coated stamped steel.  The front part of the box tends to corrode where the burner tubes pass through.   Remove the grates and the flavorizer bars and inspect the inside front of the firebox.   Next, remove the burner control knobs and remove the control panel cover (the black sheet of metal with all the writing on it in your third pic).    This will expose the gas valves and the ends of the burner tubes.   Inspect where the tubes pass through the front of the firebox.   

Here is what the inside of mine looked like

I still haven't gotten around to trying to treat the metal and prevent it from rusting anymore.  But, I figured that it took 20 years to get to this stage, so it should have quite a bit of life left in it. 

I saw in your thread at TVWBB that LM has a side table for you, I'd take him up on it.   While most other parts are still available for this Summit, the U-frame support for the side table is impossible to find.  Weber doesn't have any nor do any of the other replacement parts sites that most of us use.

The question of whether to restore or not.   First question, do you want to run NG ?   I mean, if you dump this one and go out and buy another grill, will it be NG or LP ?   If you are set on NG no matter what, then that $1000 or whatever doesn't factor into the decision on this grill as you will be spending that no matter what.

If the firebox is in good enough condition, and the frame is solid, then it's up to you.   A restore will probably run you $400+(+) which is more than it would cost to find and restore a nice 3 burner Genny, but then again, you'll end up with a nice 6 burner Summit.

BTW, back to the question of NG or LP.   There are mixed opinions on this, but you can convert that Summit from NG to LP by replacing the orifices and adding a LP regulator and hose.   If interested in going that route, talk to LMichaels about it in the other thread.    Short answer is that it will work, but grill will run a bit hotter at low and medium settings than it would if you were able to replace the entire manifold (valves and orifices).      To me, this hasn't been a problem as I rarely use low or medium, and the 6 burner Summit has a lot of real estate.  If I need to cook something on low, I simply shut down some of the burners and go with indirect heat. 

MINIgrillin

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #7 on: February 26, 2017, 06:19:13 PM »
Ya.. I have one of those grills. Parts are mad expensive. Also, it won't get as hot as a s-330 or s-420. I'm gonna say punt it. You can get a better grill for cheaper that will work better right out of the gate
Seville. CnB performer:blue,green,gray. 26r. 18otg. Karubeque C-60.

danpeikes

• Smokey Joe
    • Meat Your Vegetables
« Reply #8 on: February 28, 2017, 05:14:36 AM »
I did a restore on the exact same model.   You could be getting into a money pit.     To check the burners, you could disconnect the NG hose and hook up a LP regulator/hose to it and fire it up.     All parts for this are going to be more expensive than parts for a Genny, but then again, that Summit was over $2K originally.   

The biggest concern in my book is rust, both the cart and the firebox.   Unlike the single cast firebox of the Genny's, the Summit's lower firebox is 4 pieces.   The left and right are cast aluminum, but the front and back are porcelain coated stamped steel.  The front part of the box tends to corrode where the burner tubes pass through.   Remove the grates and the flavorizer bars and inspect the inside front of the firebox.   Next, remove the burner control knobs and remove the control panel cover (the black sheet of metal with all the writing on it in your third pic).    This will expose the gas valves and the ends of the burner tubes.   Inspect where the tubes pass through the front of the firebox.   

I still haven't gotten around to trying to treat the metal and prevent it from rusting anymore.  But, I figured that it took 20 years to get to this stage, so it should have quite a bit of life left in it. 

I saw in your thread at TVWBB that LM has a side table for you, I'd take him up on it.   While most other parts are still available for this Summit, the U-frame support for the side table is impossible to find.  Weber doesn't have any nor do any of the other replacement parts sites that most of us use.

The question of whether to restore or not.   First question, do you want to run NG ?   I mean, if you dump this one and go out and buy another grill, will it be NG or LP ?   If you are set on NG no matter what, then that $1000 or whatever doesn't factor into the decision on this grill as you will be spending that no matter what.

If the firebox is in good enough condition, and the frame is solid, then it's up to you.   A restore will probably run you $400+(+) which is more than it would cost to find and restore a nice 3 burner Genny, but then again, you'll end up with a nice 6 burner Summit.

BTW, back to the question of NG or LP.   There are mixed opinions on this, but you can convert that Summit from NG to LP by replacing the orifices and adding a LP regulator and hose.   If interested in going that route, talk to LMichaels about it in the other thread.    Short answer is that it will work, but grill will run a bit hotter at low and medium settings than it would if you were able to replace the entire manifold (valves and orifices).      To me, this hasn't been a problem as I rarely use low or medium, and the 6 burner Summit has a lot of real estate.  If I need to cook something on low, I simply shut down some of the burners and go with indirect heat.

Long term I would like to go NG but I need to run a line it could be expensive.  I am going to see if  I car restore this over the summer ahead of putting a NG line in.  I will likely pick up an LP grill to tide me over for this summer.
Looking for 22" or 26" kettles and 22" WSMs, NIB or like new in the Chicago area.

pbe gummi bear

• WKC Mod
« Reply #9 on: February 28, 2017, 09:34:24 AM »
I would agree with demosthenes9 that it would be worth it if the frame and firebox are solid. Otherwise, you should look at getting a welder to put it back together for you. From your pics it looks a little dirty but has solid bones. Let us know if that is not the case. These Summits are close to the pinnacle of Weber grill quality so I hope you can keep it in the family.

The flavorizer bars for these are pretty expensive @ ~$160. They have a welded horizontal bar that covers the cross burner tube and keeps them all together:

Personally I wouldn't bother getting the OEM flavorizers at that price. I'd do a 2 part flavorizer setup with a separate piece covering the cross burner tube, similar to the setup on the 13 flavorizer deep firebox Original Genesis.

Weber parts are pretty interchangable. For example, I've cut Genesis burners down to fit a shorter Genesis Jr. You'll likely be able to swap the valves, orifices, and regulator from an LP Genesis onto your summit. You may need to tweak the venturi air supply hole for optimum burn but it shouldn't be too bad to do so.

Those grates are stainless. Will they scrub clean or are they super pitted? I've used a wire cup brush on a grinder to bring large gauge ss grates back to life. They may not be perfectly smooth so delicate things (mainly fish) will be prone to sticking but otherwise it works just fine. Worst case, just order some from RCplanebuyer on ebay and they will last you a lifetime.

"Have you hugged your Weber today?"
Check out WKC on Facebook:
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Weber-Kettle-Club/521728011229791

danpeikes

• Smokey Joe
    • Meat Your Vegetables
« Reply #10 on: April 25, 2017, 05:08:47 PM »
ok so i think i am going to try and restore it.  Any idea which model it is is?  I have looked high and low and cannot find the serial number.  The label is pretty faded.

danpeikes

• Smokey Joe
    • Meat Your Vegetables
« Reply #11 on: April 25, 2017, 05:18:38 PM »

@demosthenes9 which specific model is it?

Peaspurple

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #12 on: April 26, 2017, 05:20:39 PM »
If you decide to punt it would you part with the stainless steel side table and condiment holder? I have a Summit 450 I am using for a mod of sorts.
A Wonderful Family!!!

Heyjude

• WKC Performer
« Reply #13 on: April 26, 2017, 08:56:05 PM »
@danpeikes

Here is some info. If you want to switch to Propane, you will need a regulator and hose and change the orifices.
It wont be exact, but it will cook just fine.

This guy is selling one and he conveniently put up a pic of his serial #
Weber has schematics  and you could use it to find and possibly order parts.
Good Luck with the project!  8)

https://sfbay.craigslist.org/eby/gms/6090825482.html

I don't care if you don't like my Avatar, its there for me..

demosthenes9

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #14 on: April 26, 2017, 10:46:48 PM »
@danpeikes

Here is some info. If you want to switch to Propane, you will need a regulator and hose and change the orifices.
It wont be exact, but it will cook just fine.

This guy is selling one and he conveniently put up a pic of his serial #
Weber has schematics  and you could use it to find and possibly order parts.
Good Luck with the project!  8)

https://sfbay.craigslist.org/eby/gms/6090825482.html

That is the Summit Gold D6 from the following generation.   Note the thermoset side and flip up tables as opposed to the SS side tables and condiment racks  It also has 2 extra control knobs, one for a smoker burner and the other for a rear IR  rotisserie burner.

Pretty sure that this one is a Summit 650, model #   270102.  Right now, I'm getting an error from Weber's Schematics page on this model.   But model #271102 is the exact same grill, except that it was black instead of SS.   Here's the schematic for that one:
https://www.weber.com/US/en/help/schematics/browse.aspx?model=271102

« Last Edit: April 26, 2017, 10:55:42 PM by demosthenes9 »