Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Jumbo Joe converted into mini Smoker (pic heavy)  (Read 8011 times)

hawgheaven

• WKC Performer
    • Hawg Heaven Smokin' BBQ
Re: Jumbo Joe converted into mini Smoker (pic heavy)
« Reply #15 on: February 23, 2017, 07:04:18 AM »
It just keeps getting better and better... nice work!!
Multiple kettles and WSM's. I am not a collector, just a gatherer... and a sick bastard.

mrgoodbar67

• WKC Brave
Jumbo Joe converted into mini Smoker (pic heavy)
« Reply #16 on: March 02, 2017, 11:39:17 PM »
Received this in the mail earlier this week...

Couldn't find it anywhere but here.  Weber and amazon didn't have it

Since I used the 3 mount method for the grates, I couldn't "plug and play" the rack because it's designed to mount on the 4 mounts located on the original WSM

I didn't want to drill MORE holes so I found 4 aluminum pieces that I bent to hang over the pot lip to use as the mounts for the rack. 
Needed to ensure these hung at just the right height to allow the rack enough clearance and not prevent the lid from sealing.

Once done, got started on the install. 

Hanging rack and pbc grate

Checked clearance of final install.  In the pic it looks uneven,  but it's very even. Used a level to ensure this

Decided to do dry run last night to see how well  I could dial in the vents to get the temps I wanted, see how well it held temps and see how long it went on one load of charcoal.

Got some cool pics of the chimney on and  the water pan in

Sunrays...

Smoker eclipse...

Held 215 to 230 degrees pretty well.  Initially it ran hot and I had to do allot of "dialing" to bring the temp down and steady.  But I got it. load lasted a little over 3 hrs.  I think I can go longer if I don't start as hot next time.  Used the donut method, maybe I'll do the one Weber recommends?  What method should I use?

This test helped me understand what I need to work on and what I wish my JJS had-

Access door
Deeper water pan
Gasket on lid.  Saw allot of smoke escape (will get one soon). Which one for the JJ lid?

no door requires me to lift the entire smoking chamber to add more charcoal, wood or water as needed. 

I can see myself spilling water from the 3in deep pan during one of the moves.

Been teasing it's first smoke for a while but I promise it'll happen.  Even have wood ready

Ribs on Sunday.  Hanging method!!

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club mobile app
« Last Edit: March 02, 2017, 11:51:45 PM by mrgoodbar67 »
-Custon SS 1998 Performer- with mods inspired by Idahawk, Winz, Zavod44 and a bunch of you here.
- Jumbo Joe with smoker mods

LightningBoldtz

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #17 on: March 03, 2017, 04:31:40 AM »
Received this in the mail earlier this week...

Couldn't find it anywhere but here.  Weber and amazon didn't have it

Since I used the 3 mount method for the grates, I couldn't "plug and play" the rack because it's designed to mount on the 4 mounts located on the original WSM

I didn't want to drill MORE holes so I found 4 aluminum pieces that I bent to hang over the pot lip to use as the mounts for the rack. 
Needed to ensure these hung at just the right height to allow the rack enough clearance and not prevent the lid from sealing.

Once done, got started on the install. 

Hanging rack and pbc grate

Checked clearance of final install.  In the pic it looks uneven,  but it's very even. Used a level to ensure this

Decided to do dry run last night to see how well  I could dial in the vents to get the temps I wanted, see how well it held temps and see how long it went on one load of charcoal.

Got some cool pics of the chimney on and  the water pan in

Sunrays...

Smoker eclipse...

Held 215 to 230 degrees pretty well.  Initially it ran hot and I had to do allot of "dialing" to bring the temp down and steady.  But I got it. load lasted a little over 3 hrs.  I think I can go longer if I don't start as hot next time.  Used the donut method, maybe I'll do the one Weber recommends?  What method should I use?

This test helped me understand what I need to work on and what I wish my JJS had-

Access door
Deeper water pan
Gasket on lid.  Saw allot of smoke escape (will get one soon). Which one for the JJ lid?

no door requires me to lift the entire smoking chamber to add more charcoal, wood or water as needed. 

I can see myself spilling water from the 3in deep pan during one of the moves.

Been teasing it's first smoke for a while but I promise it'll happen.  Even have wood ready

Ribs on Sunday.  Hanging method!!

Did you get that rck off of ebay?  If so, I was looking at buying that and just missed out.  Wish weber would re-release it for the 18 wsm
I am not a collector, but I do have a small collection.
"You can have everything in life you want if you will just help enough other people get what they want"
8 MBH, 2 WoodDale, a SCG, and other stuff, including Pellet grills.

mrgoodbar67

• WKC Brave
« Reply #18 on: March 03, 2017, 07:26:02 AM »
No bought it from gertens website

-Custon SS 1998 Performer- with mods inspired by Idahawk, Winz, Zavod44 and a bunch of you here.
- Jumbo Joe with smoker mods