Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Jumbo Joe converted into mini Smoker (pic heavy)  (Read 8013 times)

mrgoodbar67

• WKC Brave
Jumbo Joe converted into mini Smoker (pic heavy)
« on: February 16, 2017, 11:26:43 PM »
Ive been wanting a WSM for sometime now but didn't want to spend $300-400 on it. 
I saw the kits sold by Smoke-ez, cajun bandit, etc...to convert the 22 kettle into a smoker when needed, but figured "what if build my own"?

I had previously seen mods using 120 qt stock pots, 50 gal drums, etc to use with the 22. but it seemed expensive, still.

Then I researched on the web and found that guys had built mini smokers using the SJ and the JJ with mod'd stock pots.  When I researched how much the stock pots cost, they were much cheaper than the 120 qt ones, the smoke-ez or cj.  Since I already had a JJ (with wooden pieces by @zavod44), i decided to build my own Smoker with a 80 qt pot, which turns out it fit the grill perfectly at both the bowl and lid.

this is pre mods, with the pot in original condition.  Fits perfect!!!

After researching, this is what I found I would need-
-JJ (already had)
- 80 qt SS (or aluminum) stock pot, Bought on ebay
- 9 of each of the below (together, they will become the grate supports and diffuser/ water pan supports)
    -3/4 #20 1/4 in button head phillips bolts
    - 1/4 in lock washers
    - 1/4 in fiber washers
    - 1/4 in nuts
- Expanded sheet metal (honey comb) to make the charcoal basket
- Rebar tie wire (to tie expanded metal to charcoal grate)
- 1 Extra (maybe 2) 18 in cooking grates
- Pizza pan (perforated or not)
- Water pan

This project was made possible by allot of fellow Weber enthusiasts all over the web and other forums, but especially this guy (https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCmyB6D47WXY_wU_LEBQ5e7Q) on youtube who made a step by step video on how to do this project.  I screen shot some of his video to show some steps since i failed to document some of them....here we go.

First i decided the grate would only need 3 supports, so i divided the pot top into thirds (by eyeballing it).
Once I had them pretty even, I used those points around the pot as the locations for my grate supports. 

Then I needed to measure where i would want the grates to sit.  The top grate, i decided to have it sit 1.5 in from the top, the second grate 7.5 in from the top, and the diffuser/ water pan, 14 in from the top.  After marking them with a marker and punch it was time to begin to drill the holes out.

This was one of the tough parts. Had to to use two 1/4 in drill bits that were made for hard metal.  After 3 hours, I successfully drilled all 9 holes, 3 at each level!!!!  Using persistence, patience, WD40, Blues radio on pandora and a beer (OK more than 1) the holes were done.

Then, I installed the grate supports (bolt hardware)at each level

Now I had to cut out the bottom of the pot to allow the smoke to enter the chamber during cooks.  Some guys drill holes all around the bottom, but i decided to cut the bottom out.  I centered the charcoal grate to the underside of the pot and traced the outline with a marker.  I decided to do this bc i didn't want to compromise the pots structure and rigidity if i cut out the entire bottom, plus the left over metal can work to diffuse heat. 

You can use a jigsaw with metal cutting blades, using an angle grinder or dremmel to cut the pilot hole to allow the jigsaw access.  Many say this is hard because its gonna be loud, tough and difficult to saw all the way around without having the piece vibrate once you're getting to the end.  But it'll get done.  Having spent 3 hours just drilling holes, I cheated and took the pot to a local metal-works shop to have the hole cut.

While the pot was at the shop for 1 day having the hole cut, I was at home making the charcoal basket.
I had already measured the height that it needed to be in order for it to allow the pot to sit flush on the bowl, which turned out  to be 3.5 in. so i made my markings on the sheet

Now I had to cut the expanded metal to the length and width i needed.

A dremmel or angle grinder can be used, but I used my jigsaw, which cut quickly.

Once the pieces were ready, I began to wrap it around the charcoal grate, tying it to the expanded metal as i went around using rebar wire. I made sure to have the factory smooth side up and the rougher side down. 

Now, time to put it AAAAAALLLLL together.  Here you can see the hole is the same diameter as the basket I made.

Pizza pan in place

Temporary Water pan in place.  Its my dogs water bowl and needed something for the pic so  i borrowed it.  You can see hes wondering what im doing with it.

The distance i allowed bw each grate is enough for a turkey size cook on each level.  If i want to water smoke, I can use the water bowl at the bottom level.  if i don't, I can use the bottom level for a third grate instead and cook more food.   

bottom grate

middle grate

top grate

I added a rope hook to the underside of the lid and mounted it by using one of the handle bolts.

Now I can hang it on the pot lip out my way.

All together now!!!

I added a weber tool hook too

Great thing about this mod is that I MADE IT. 
You all know the satisfaction we get when we build something and reap its benefits.  Also, it cost me under $200 to make including JJ, pot, labor and supplies (ALLOT LESS than a WSM 18).  I can also still use it as a portable grill, which is its primary use (tailgates, etc).  Now I can take this smoker to tailgate too.

Things I still need to do-
- Paint black
- Add gaskets to lid and bowl
- cut hole and install grommet for therm access
- Mark positions on ash bowl to make it easy for me to know degrees of bottom vent closures (1/4, 1/2, 3/4)
- See if @zavod44 can make wooden handles to place on the stock pot handles (CROSSING FINGERS)
- get the Weber hanging rack
- get ideas from you guys on what to smoke.
- COOOOK/ SMOOOOKE!!!!
« Last Edit: February 23, 2017, 03:51:13 PM by mrgoodbar67 »
-Custon SS 1998 Performer- with mods inspired by Idahawk, Winz, Zavod44 and a bunch of you here.
- Jumbo Joe with smoker mods

captjoe06

• WKC Performer
    • Northeast BBQ
Re: Jumbo Joe converted into mini Smoker (pic heavy)
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2017, 02:18:30 AM »
Very Impressive!  I'm envious of your mechanical abilities!
Smokey Joe Black, Smokey Joe Lime Green, Original Kettle Premium Black,'92 Red OTS, Yellow Simpson's 22, 78 Red MBH, '80 Black MBH, '10 Brick Red Performer,'12 Grass Green Performer, '03 Blue SSP, '97 Blue SSP, 18 inch WSM

tspin818

• WKC Brave
« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2017, 02:21:40 AM »
Nice job, you are absolutely correct in that there is nothing more satisfying than doing it yourself.

Sent from my XT1254 using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

Holy grail Red Smokey Joe

Kneab

• WKC Performer
« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2017, 03:15:41 AM »
That looks great. Thanks for the write up and all the pics. I think I'm going to make one soon. I have too many unused Joe's .

searching for a 26.

ISO Brown Go Anywhere

greenweb

• WKC Performer
« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2017, 03:45:19 AM »
Nice work! Looks great!

order66

• WKC Brave
« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2017, 05:40:26 AM »
That's awesome.
I my first smoker was a Smokey Joe that I added a 15 gallon drum as the center section, I fashioned it after the Pit Barrel Cooker. It came out good, but not as good as yours!!
The Jumbo Joe will serve you better, it has better airflow. I could only keep my modded SJ hot for about 3 hours on a single load of fuel, and it proved too cumbersome to tear down to add fuel.
So I moved on from it.
Thanks for sharing! Enjoy the fruits of your labor and post some cook-pix!!
-JDP
| 22.5 Master Touch |22.5 OTG |Pit Barrel Cooker| U-Lime SJS | Kettle Pizza| Akorn Jr. | Big Green Egg | Jumbo Joe | Blackstone Griddle | Pit Boss Classic |

Qreps

• WKC Brave
« Reply #6 on: February 17, 2017, 07:22:34 AM »
Great build. Congratulations. Smoke On!

Sent from my SM-G360T1 using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

Josh G

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #7 on: February 17, 2017, 09:23:16 AM »
Looks Great.  You did a really nice job on that!  How did you attach your expanded metal together at the ends.  Did you weld them or is it wired?

@mrgoodbar67

MikeRocksTheRed

• WKC Performer
    • The Kettle Cookers (facebook group)
« Reply #8 on: February 17, 2017, 09:33:36 AM »
Oh man, that is nice!!!!!  Wait until you see how fuel efficient it is!  And your dog in the pic with the water bowl....priceless!!!!
62-68 Avocado BAR-B-Q Kettle, Red ER SS Performer, Green DA SS Performer, Black EE three wheeler, 1 SJS, 1 Homer Simpson SJS,  AT Black 26er, 82 Kettle Gasser Deluxe, "A" code 18.5 MBH, M Code Tuck-n-Carry, P Code Go Anywhere, 2015 RANCH FREAKING KETTLE!!!!!!

mrgoodbar67

• WKC Brave
« Reply #9 on: February 17, 2017, 10:17:22 AM »
Thanks Fellas!!!!

Really cant wait to smoke on this.

I live in Socal and a UUUUUUUUGE storm is on the way, so no smoking for me yet.

Looks Great.  You did a really nice job on that!  How did you attach your expanded metal together at the ends.  Did you weld them or is it wired?

@mrgoodbar67

@Josh G , Wire tied

Oh man, that is nice!!!!!  Wait until you see how fuel efficient it is!  And your dog in the pic with the water bowl....priceless!!!!

His name is Brando...
« Last Edit: February 17, 2017, 10:18:55 AM by mrgoodbar67 »
-Custon SS 1998 Performer- with mods inspired by Idahawk, Winz, Zavod44 and a bunch of you here.

hawgheaven

• WKC Performer
    • Hawg Heaven Smokin' BBQ
« Reply #10 on: February 17, 2017, 11:43:43 AM »
THAT is freakin' AWESOME!!!!
Multiple kettles and WSM's. I am not a collector, just a gatherer... and a sick bastard.

varekai

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #11 on: February 17, 2017, 10:09:48 PM »
@mrgoodbar67 , That turned out awesome!!!
CGA,GGA, jumbo joe, 3-18" kettles,22" blue,green,yellow and 2 reds, 1-22" lid mod for pizza, a genesis silver,2 Red SS Performers,2 26ers,1 red, 1 chief and a Ranch Kettle.

LightningBoldtz

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #12 on: February 18, 2017, 03:19:21 AM »
amazing work, I have been debating something like this for a while.
I am not a collector, but I do have a small collection.
"You can have everything in life you want if you will just help enough other people get what they want"
8 MBH, 2 WoodDale, a SCG, and other stuff, including Pellet grills.

WNC

• WKC Performer
« Reply #13 on: February 19, 2017, 04:35:48 AM »
Nice, great looking craftsmanship!
Let us know how the paint turns out, I've gotta pot in the basement for the mini WSM that I need to paint

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

mrgoodbar67

• WKC Brave
« Reply #14 on: February 22, 2017, 11:28:18 PM »
So, the project continues...

While I took some time off of hardcore fabbing, I decided to use expanded aluminum grill toppers from Walmart ($3.99 for 3) as a bottom for the basket to allow me to shake all the ash out and keep any small usable charcoal or small lump after burns

It just required cutting and shaping.  Too easy not to do.

Since I had already bought (being shipped) the Weber smoking rack.  I decided to make a meat hanging hook removal tool similar to the one sold by PBC.

I knew I could fab one up myself so I did by buying a wooden dowel and eyelet screw (maybe not it's name) from HD for under $3.  Just had to drill out a hole in the dowel and screw in the eyelet.  Then I stained it to match my handles and vent tabs

Then I drilled out a 1.25 inch hole bw the top grate and middle grate to place the Weber wsm grommet.  This was a PITA but I did it

Once that was done.  It was paint time.  I used high temp semi gloss spray paint. Taped off the top lip and used a trash bag to cover the interior of the pot.  Not safe to have paint inside the cooking chamber.  I made a point NOT to paint the bottom exterior of the pot either since it will be in contact with the coals. Although time consuming, it was actually pretty fun

Now time to put it together

Water pan

Middle grate

Top grate

I decided to use a PBC grate as the top grate because half of it flips down to allow room for hanging meet AND smoking on the grate at the same time.

Here u see the grommet installed and probe going through

I had previously bought a "warming rack" from amazon years ago to use on my 22 but the welds on it broke within a week.  I didn't trash it and it stayed in my garage since...until now.  I inverted it and was able to hang it inside as a half grate also to allow room for hanging and grate smoking

Assembled

Tool hooks in use

This should be it.
Now, SMMOOKING TIME.

Last weekend weatherman said a 3 day storm was coming so I didn't use it but the storm never came. Now that its, ready the weather man says storm again.  Hopefully they're wrong again so that I can put it to use.

Next update will be during and after the cook and then I'll update using the hanging rack.

Excited to have completed this and can't wait to use it.

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club mobile app
« Last Edit: February 23, 2017, 03:51:31 PM by mrgoodbar67 »