Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: My OTG clean-up  (Read 5713 times)

Bman

• WKC Performer
My OTG clean-up
« on: April 07, 2013, 04:47:52 PM »
This should have been my 26.75" clean-up, but that story can be found here.
http://weberkettleclub.com/forums/weber-kettles-accessories/i'm-done-done!-i've-learned-my-lesson/msg21290/#msg21290

At least I still have a lemon to make lemonade, so let's begin.

As it stood when I got home.  Yeah, THAT was easy to wheel around...   ::)

:o   :o   :o   :o   :o

Not bad.

But I'm OCD

Not that OCD as this shit was baked on!  Feels like sandpaper and not regular bbq grime.  Oh well, good enough...

The ash catcher was all bare aluminum and showing signs of oxidation.  If you recall my mini-WSM build story, well, then this shouldn't come as a surprise.   8)
mini build here - http://weberkettleclub.com/forums/weber-kettles-accessories/finally-built-my-miniwsm/

All back together

And now for sale on Craigslist.   ;D
http://washingtondc.craigslist.org/nva/for/3729269405.html
« Last Edit: April 07, 2013, 04:52:17 PM by Bman »
I've always had gas...  And now a bunch of kettles because of this place.  Thanks!

G

• WKC Ranger
Re: My OTG clean-up
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2013, 04:57:30 PM »
Nice paint job.  Regarding the baked on "sandpaper" bbq grime, the only way I know to remove that is with a dull metal object (I use a flathead screwdriver).  If anyone has a better way, let me know.  Oven or grill cleaner doesnt seem to do the trick.

DoppelBock

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2013, 06:26:54 PM »
LOVE what you did to the ash catcher ring  ;D  Is that the anodized high heat paint?

Bman

• WKC Performer
« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2013, 06:58:36 PM »
I used all VHT rattle-can from Auto Zone.  Shot with their high heat primer first.  The metallic paint, while cool looking, is a pain in the ass.  I think I shot 5 or 6 coats on everything with the red color.  Next time, I'll just stick to the solid colors.  It takes 7 days to dry then you have to cure it by baking at 200 degrees for an hour.  These parts, I just stuck in my gasser.  The mini, I just fired up low-n-slow.

I've always had gas...  And now a bunch of kettles because of this place.  Thanks!

DoppelBock

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2013, 07:09:56 PM »
I use Dupli-Color and VHT. The metallic paint looks great, what's the issue with it? Great idea using the gasser to help with the curing. ;D

pbe gummi bear

• WKC Mod
« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2013, 11:29:46 PM »
I used razor blades for that caked on stuff. I popped it into a plastic scraper and it chips right off without scratching the finish. I can't say it was worth the effort esp if you plan to cook on it again.
"Have you hugged your Weber today?"
Check out WKC on Facebook:
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Weber-Kettle-Club/521728011229791

Heyjude

• WKC Performer
« Reply #6 on: April 08, 2013, 06:49:32 AM »
Nice paint job.  Regarding the baked on "sandpaper" bbq grime, the only way I know to remove that is with a dull metal object (I use a flathead screwdriver).  If anyone has a better way, let me know.  Oven or grill cleaner doesnt seem to do the trick.

Its brutal. Nothing really works easily. I use Easy Off, soak, rinse, scrub with SOS pad.
I may try some straight amonia in a spray bottle and let it soak for a while.  If I ever get around to it, I may invest in a low cost Soda blaster and try that. I fear that it will scratch the finsh.
It the bain of grill cleaning, its like super cement.  8)
I don't care if you don't like my Avatar, its there for me..

Duke

• The Duke
« Reply #7 on: April 08, 2013, 06:55:43 AM »
I think a lot of that is bbq sauce the culperit. I use a small dull metal scraper. It still takes a while.

Bman

• WKC Performer
« Reply #8 on: April 08, 2013, 07:12:29 AM »
The metallic paint looks great, what's the issue with it?

It's too thin.  Like spraying water.  When I sprayed the mini, luckily it was just the little grill emblem as that shit started to run.  I had the pot vertical so all I had to do was lay it down and it flattened out.  Still had to spray 5 to 6 coats to get a solid color going.  Next time, I hope I can find a regular solid color.  I'm going to see if I can find a blue color that matches my blue performer so I can shoot the ring on that one.  :D

1buckie

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #9 on: April 08, 2013, 07:14:40 AM »

Anybody tried a small hand held propane burner......?

On with heat, off with heat........if it won't get it off, it may soften it enough to turn it into a nice goo that would remove easier.....nice soft goo...........I love the goo.....nevermind...... :D

"If you want it fancy there is BBQ spray paint at home depot for that. "
    Covered, damper-controlled cooking.....IF YOU PLEASE !!!
           "But the ever versatile kettle reigned supreme"    

1buckie

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #10 on: April 08, 2013, 07:56:11 AM »
The metallic paint looks great, what's the issue with it?

It's too thin.  Like spraying water.  When I sprayed the mini, luckily it was just the little grill emblem as that shit started to run.  I had the pot vertical so all I had to do was lay it down and it flattened out.  Still had to spray 5 to 6 coats to get a solid color going.  Next time, I hope I can find a regular solid color.  I'm going to see if I can find a blue color that matches my blue performer so I can shoot the ring on that one.  :D

Chad, try a test area using high heat WHITE as the undercoat.....gives it  an opaque background to sit on.....
Only other problem it may create is any uneveness may show up more readily with the metallic........

Been doin' a bit of bodywork also....

"If you want it fancy there is BBQ spray paint at home depot for that. "
    Covered, damper-controlled cooking.....IF YOU PLEASE !!!
           "But the ever versatile kettle reigned supreme"    

mike.stavlund

• WKC Performer
    • MikeStavlund.com
« Reply #11 on: April 08, 2013, 08:51:41 AM »
I've had limited success with that inside-bowl baked-on grime with oven cleaner and one of those really rough stainless steel scrubbing pads.  Doesn't work perfectly, nor not without some serious effort, but it also doesn't seem to scratch the interior finish. 
One of the charcoal people.

Bman

• WKC Performer
« Reply #12 on: April 08, 2013, 10:54:09 AM »
Good looking grill Bucky, but where's your white undercoat?  :D

There won't be a next time using red.  lol  I don't recall seeing white primer.  I'd have to go Gray Primer > White Paint > Red Paint

Next time I'm at Auto Zone, I'll see what they have for blue. 

RandyG

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #13 on: April 13, 2013, 06:44:07 AM »
Best thing I've found is a wire brush on your drill, got my platinum shining again, and to my surprise didn't damage the finish!! That surface can take quite a bit of abuse, I was impressed :o..
08 Genesis S320,01 Green Platinum, 00 SS Black performer,99 Red Mastertouch Gold,Chargriller Akorn, Wooden handled 18.5 WSM, 13 Jumbo Joe,11 Weber Fireplace