Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Sharing innovative kettle mod ideas  (Read 8325 times)

greenweb

• WKC Performer
Sharing innovative kettle mod ideas
« on: February 12, 2017, 03:01:31 PM »
I have seen some great ideas implemented and shown, but I am sure there are lot more unique ideas and creations to come. Latest creation by Mr.CPHo is a good example.  I am here to share some of my ideas that I have already done, will be doing in the future and some I will not be doing. Hope others don't mind sharing as well. 

I will start off with something simple that I have already mentioned on other thread.

#1.
Turning a Copper OTG to a one off 2016 German only Winter Special Edition MT. Currently, no Copper Master Touch offered elsewhere.

As soon as I get my Red SSP done, I will be making my own Copper MT.    I am ok if someone likes the idea and builds it before me.

I will continue with more ideas later. Like to see and hear some of your creative/unique/crazy ideas past, present, and future

« Last Edit: February 13, 2017, 04:40:55 AM by greenweb »

Travis

• WKC Ambassador
Re: Sharing innovative kettle mod ideas
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2017, 03:26:18 PM »
Good topic greenweb.

I haven't done any mods yet, but am planning on two this year. First, is I want to turn my 18" black into a mini as Charlie has with his. I think it would mak a great pack along camper.
Second. I want to strip my 3rd gen performer, paint and make it into the storage performer with shelves etc.. At this point it my least used cooker, but I store everything in it for all my cooks and use the table for holding trays, blah, blah, blah. I'd like to use that as a platform to store everything and utilize the table, but still have the cooker for use.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

greenweb

• WKC Performer
« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2017, 03:43:31 PM »
@ Travis - Yep! both great ideas. The performer idea is a new one.  Thanks for sharing.

greenweb

• WKC Performer
« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2017, 04:59:42 PM »
On the subject of the performer ideas, #2, I had an idea to switch Red SSP kettle into Gen2 performer frame and the C&B Lime Gen2 kettle into SSP frame. I think Jeff already have done Lime into Gen1 SSP. Why do this? Cause Gen1 SSP never came with Lime. ( Gen1 SSP- Colors offered in Gen 1 include Black, Red, Red Mist, Dark Green, Dark Blue, Plum, and Grey.) and Gen2 (came in Black, Dark Green, Grass Green (Crate and Barrel offering), Dark Blue, Sage, and Grey.) no Red.

For me, this would be unique but did not like the red bowl handle showing thru. bigger gap on the Gen2 table. It is funny how Gen1 bowl has the handle. Now, IMO, original Red looks the best in the SSP frame and the Gen2 looks the best in C&B Lime as they came from the factory.  All colors look great, but I also like Plum and Grey in Gen1 and the Sage and Grey in Gen2.
« Last Edit: February 12, 2017, 05:31:50 PM by greenweb »

Mr.CPHo

• WKC Mod
« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2017, 06:40:26 PM »
I think my next project will be an SSP wok station, been keeping my eyes open for a decent SSP.

Would also love to add gas assist to my jumbo joe which has become my dedication chimney station. 

I may use that leftover gas go anywhere bowl and lid to make a nice little Weber themed "to-go tool box" for when I go pick up grills or to keep all my restoration products in one place. 

A stretch goal would be to take a genesis frame and build a tandoor into it somehow.  I think I saw someone here take an old genie frame and made an awesome stainless steel cart out of it. 

@Travis, LMK if you have any questions building a Mighty Midget.  I also added a Tru-Tel BQ100 thermo and bezel. 

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

Travis

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2017, 06:47:42 PM »
@MR.CPHo
Thankyou sir.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
« Last Edit: February 12, 2017, 07:02:38 PM by Travis »

greenweb

• WKC Performer
« Reply #6 on: February 12, 2017, 08:43:42 PM »
@ Mr.CPHo - great ideas! Especially like the Weber tool box idea.

#3.
 I also have a multi functioning dedicated kettle for chimney station, tool carrier, extra table, and mainly for a lid holder as I am not fond of hooking the lid or into the lid bale most of times.  I find it much easier to lift the lid straight up and place it down on the other kettle.

« Last Edit: February 13, 2017, 04:50:01 AM by greenweb »

MikeRocksTheRed

• WKC Performer
    • The Kettle Cookers (facebook group)
« Reply #7 on: February 12, 2017, 09:45:02 PM »
I think my next project will be an SSP wok station, been keeping my eyes open for a decent SSP.

Would also love to add gas assist to my jumbo joe which has become my dedication chimney station. 

I may use that leftover gas go anywhere bowl and lid to make a nice little Weber themed "to-go tool box" for when I go pick up grills or to keep all my restoration products in one place. 

A stretch goal would be to take a genesis frame and build a tandoor into it somehow.  I think I saw someone here take an old genie frame and made an awesome stainless steel cart out of it. 

@Travis, LMK if you have any questions building a Mighty Midget.  I also added a Tru-Tel BQ100 thermo and bezel. 

A dedicated gas assist SJS for lighting chimneys is what your post made me think of. Gas assist on a Performer is great until you have that grill cooking something and want to fire up another grill.  I'm thinking an SJ gas assist chimney lighter.   I'm not sure if it means a mod it with a Performer gas assist system or maybe rig it up with a propane torch type of system. Thoughts anyone? [emoji848]

« Last Edit: February 12, 2017, 10:05:50 PM by MikeRocksTheRed »
62-68 Avocado BAR-B-Q Kettle, Red ER SS Performer, Green DA SS Performer, Black EE three wheeler, 1 SJS, 1 Homer Simpson SJS,  AT Black 26er, 82 Kettle Gasser Deluxe, "A" code 18.5 MBH, M Code Tuck-n-Carry, P Code Go Anywhere, 2015 RANCH FREAKING KETTLE!!!!!!

Mr.CPHo

• WKC Mod
« Reply #8 on: February 13, 2017, 02:28:34 AM »
@MikeRocksTheRed, my opinion is to use all Weber genuine parts.   I also love what Hell Fire did with his WebrLyter

Webrlytr
http://weberkettleclub.com/forums/index.php?topic=27118

kettlecook

• WKC Brave
« Reply #9 on: February 13, 2017, 04:54:54 AM »
Anyone ever put a handle on the front of a 26er's lid? I read somewhere recently where someone suggested this and it makes a lot of sense to me.

greenweb

• WKC Performer
« Reply #10 on: February 13, 2017, 05:19:45 AM »
Anyone ever put a handle on the front of a 26er's lid? I read somewhere recently where someone suggested this and it makes a lot of sense to me.

You still need to lift the lid off and slid back. Actually, quite easy to drop the lid into the bale but hard to bring it back up and on the bowl with just a front mount handle. So I am not sure how useful that would be.   Here is 1ROW's 26er with a hinge and a front handle. On page 4.  http://weberkettleclub.com/forums/weber-kettles-accessories/show-us-your-26er!/45/

MacEggs

• WKC Performer
« Reply #11 on: February 13, 2017, 07:03:11 AM »

@kettlecook , this is a pic of a custom 26er modelled after the One Touch Platinum.
I had the opportunity to buy this, but the seller (GaryS) was asking too much for my budget.
He also had the pictured roti ring custom made from SS.

Q: How do you know something is bull$h!t?
A: When you are not allowed to question it.

MacEggs

• WKC Performer
« Reply #12 on: February 13, 2017, 07:26:34 AM »

I am not opposed to any mods done to a kettle.
However, the mods that I have done to a kettle are simple and straight-forward …. Adding a ring and bucket to the ash collection area.

http://weberkettleclub.com/forums/weber-kettles-accessories/one-touch-vent-size/msg69561/#msg69561

I personally prefer to make "items" that will enhance and complement the cooking experience on a kettle …. i.e. charcoal baskets, and side tables.

http://weberkettleclub.com/forums/weber-kettles-accessories/been-doing-some-fabricating-(pic-heavy)/

http://weberkettleclub.com/forums/weber-kettles-accessories/fabricated-a-handy-side-table/

http://weberkettleclub.com/forums/grilling-bbqing/a-couple-trials-using-homemade-charcoal-baskets/

http://weberkettleclub.com/forums/weber-kettles-accessories/my-3-wood-performer/

http://weberkettleclub.com/forums/weber-kettles-accessories/made-another-side-table/

I can say this in conclusion … I gleaned 99.9% of the information and inspiration from the great members here on the WKC.  Thank you for that!   :D

Q: How do you know something is bull$h!t?
A: When you are not allowed to question it.

mrgoodbar67

• WKC Brave
« Reply #13 on: February 13, 2017, 07:35:33 AM »
This is going to be awesome

-Custon SS 1998 Performer- with mods inspired by Idahawk, Winz, Zavod44 and a bunch of you here.
- Jumbo Joe with smoker mods

JDD

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #14 on: February 13, 2017, 08:37:55 AM »
My mod idea is not too practical because it will probably be way too expensive.  I’m not real crazy about the new Summit charcoal grill but the cart is awesome. I would really love to drop a 22” or 26” kettle bowl in that cart. So if anybody sees a summit cart only come up CL please let me know lol.
May The Smoke Be With You!