Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: MikeRocksTheRed's Pretzel cook and breakfast sandwiches  (Read 2890 times)

MikeRocksTheRed

• WKC Performer
    • The Kettle Cookers (facebook group)
MikeRocksTheRed's Pretzel cook and breakfast sandwiches
« on: February 12, 2017, 11:39:06 AM »
My girlfriend's brother in law Dennis and I made pretzels on the ranch kettle yesterday.  This was my first real cook on my ranch kettle.  I've only done two cold smokes since I got it. 

We looked through a bunch of recipes and settled in on this one:
http://allrecipes.com/recipe/161586/papa-drexlers-bavarian-pretzels/?internalSource=amp&referringContentType=amp%20recipe&clickId=amp_directions

We decided to double the recipe and the dough turned out good.  Dennis did see a few reviews that said the dough was a little bland so he added a little extra salt, about 1/4 teaspoon. 

While Dennis was prepping the dough I was firing up two chimneys of KBB.  Since this was my first cook on the ranch kettle I was guessing that a little over two chimneys would put the grill around 450.  Once the chimneys were about 3/4 lit I topped the chimneys off with a little more KBB.  Once the coals were fully lit I set up the grill with two direct zones and a large indirect zone in the middle.   I added a lit more KBB on both sides, added my pizza stones then shut the grill and let it go until the unlit KBB finished putting out dirty smoke. 

By this time Dennis had most of the pretzels rolled out and shaped.  The recipe we used really didn't have any resting period once the pretzels were done.   This is where we deviated from the recipe.  I made a lye solution with 1/2 cup of lye and 10 cups of water for dipping the pretzels.  The recipe called for boiling water with baking soda.

Now came the tricky part.  The pretzels stuck to the parchment paper we laid them out on.  We were able to get most of them off to dip in the lye then back onto parchment and onto the grill. A few of them especially in the last batch wouldn't come off of the parchment so we just dipped them into the lye still stuck on the paper. 

Grill time.  By pure luck the grill settled in right at 450.  We did a solo pretzel first to make sure we were on the right track. This one was dipped and cooked before we did anything with the other 11 pretzels.  It turned out great.  The recipe said to bake for 8 minutes at 450 but since we used lye instead of a boiling water and baking soda mixture it took more like 12-15 minutes.

The first large batch came out great.  The last batch rose quite a bit by the time we were ready to dip and cook them so they ended up coming out as pretzel buns.  We rubbed them with a little butter when they came out to give them some extra flavor.

All in all it was a really fun challenge and we had some great success but need to make some tweaks to prevent the pretzels from sticking to the parchment.  They did come off of the parchment after cooking so it wasn't the end of the world and the bottom cooked just fine on the parchment. 

This morning I decided to put a little icing on the pretzel so to speak and make breakfast sandwiches on the pretzel buns.  Again, I decided to use a grill instead of cooking inside.  I fired up my vortex off to one side of the grill with a slightly less than full chimney of KBB.  Bacon was put into a foil pan, hit with fresh ground black pepper then onto the grill opposite the vortex and cooked until done.   I placed a chunk of hickory over the vortex for some flavor. I removed the bacon then put my cast iron skillet on the grill and poured some of the bacon grease in.  I fried two eggs per sandwich and topped the first round with shredded Mexican cheese.   The second round of eggs was topped with Mexican cheese then some shredded hot habanero cheddar I smoked two weeks ago.

The pretzel buns were sliced in half then lightly toasted over the vortex.  The pretzel buns got a little bit damp from putting them in a ziplock bag before they had totally cooled last night.  5-10 seconds per side over the vortex took care of that. 

The buns got a little mayo then eggs with melted cheese, bacon, and sliced avocado.  They were awesome!!!

Firing up to chimneys with my Looftlighter.

Dual zone setup.  This was topped by a little more unlit KBB right after this pic.

Some of the pretzels.  It looks like I missed a pic of a tray or two.  We had 12 pretzels total. 

This is where I had the Smoke transmitter on both cheese smokes and it didn't occur to me that it was to close to the heat for a hot cook.  The heat ended up slightly warping the back of the unit.  Lesson learned. 

First pretzel.  This was a test run to make sure it turned out ok so we didn't ruin a bunch of pretzels at once.

Big top vent holes let use see what was going on in the grill!

The test pretzel was a success.  We forgot to salt it before we put it on, so we did learn something from our test.

First batch.  This one came out great and in pretzel shapes.

Then the last batch. It had a lot of time to rise and turned out as pretzel buns.  We also had one that didn't brown. Dennis and I are 98% sure it was dipped in lye, but the color of it says otherwise.  This batch was really stuck to the parchment so we just dipped it in the lye on the parchment paper.

BREAKFAST TIME!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club mobile app
« Last Edit: February 12, 2017, 12:02:00 PM by MikeRocksTheRed »
62-68 Avocado BAR-B-Q Kettle, Red ER SS Performer, Green DA SS Performer, Black EE three wheeler, 1 SJS, 1 Homer Simpson SJS,  AT Black 26er, 82 Kettle Gasser Deluxe, "A" code 18.5 MBH, M Code Tuck-n-Carry, P Code Go Anywhere, 2015 RANCH FREAKING KETTLE!!!!!!

HoosierKettle

• WKC Ambassador
Re: MikeRocksTheRed's Pretzel cook and breakfast sandwiches
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2017, 12:07:02 PM »
Dang Mike, you don't mess around. Nice one. Breakfast and pretzels looked great. My 26er is fired up and dough rising. I've never baked anything lol

MikeRocksTheRed

• WKC Performer
« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2017, 12:11:43 PM »
Dang Mike, you don't mess around. Nice one. Breakfast and pretzels looked great. My 26er is fired up and dough rising. I've never baked anything lol

Thanks!  Really the only dough based foods I do is pizzas and I've only been making dough for that for about a year.  Dennis is more familiar with dough, so having him do most of the dough part of the cook was probably a good thing.  It only took me about 30-40 pizzas to figure out how to make a fairly roundish pizza, so I am sure if I tried to form any of the pretzels they would have been a disaster.  You can kind of see in the raw pretzel pics where Dennis got it dialed in by making the pretzels a little smaller but thicker.

Good luck with yours!!!!
62-68 Avocado BAR-B-Q Kettle, Red ER SS Performer, Green DA SS Performer, Black EE three wheeler, 1 SJS, 1 Homer Simpson SJS,  AT Black 26er, 82 Kettle Gasser Deluxe, "A" code 18.5 MBH, M Code Tuck-n-Carry, P Code Go Anywhere, 2015 RANCH FREAKING KETTLE!!!!!!

Travis

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2017, 12:39:53 PM »
Hell yes, Mike! I really like your pretzels buns! What a fun experiment!
I'm going to try the lye next time to see if they will get that darker color. That breakfast sandwich looks killer bud!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
« Last Edit: February 12, 2017, 12:43:41 PM by Travis »

MikeRocksTheRed

• WKC Performer
« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2017, 01:21:59 PM »
Hell yes, Mike! I really like your pretzels buns! What a fun experiment!
I'm going to try the lye next time to see if they will get that darker color. That breakfast sandwich looks killer bud!

Thanks!  You can see a bit of a color difference between the two pretzel cooks that were done in lye vs your baking soda cook.  It takes a little bit for the pretzels to get that deep dark color...it would be easy to pull them off when they are golden and not deep brown in color.

Brain_STL

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2017, 02:40:21 PM »
Wow! I now have a new goal to achieve with my kettles. Great post.

Sent from my iPad using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

Mr.CPHo

• WKC Mod
« Reply #6 on: February 12, 2017, 02:51:27 PM »
That's so friggin awesome, @MikeRocksTheRed!!  Thanks for the pics and details. 

Love-a-Weber

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #7 on: February 12, 2017, 03:45:02 PM »
You had me when I saw the avocados,  absolutely awesome,  now I wanna make some pretzels!!!!!

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

varekai

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #8 on: February 12, 2017, 06:06:21 PM »
WOW!   

@MikeRocksTheRed Did you hire a photographer to follow you around?..LOL  You guys did a great job!!  I didn't butter mine, will have to try that.  I was going to make more today on the ranch but decided to take advantage of the nice weather and got half of my acre mowed before the mower got stuck... someone said we have 10 days of rain or some crazy shit like that. Maybe tomorrow after work, I really wanna make some pretzel buns for some hamburgers.. Hope some of the other guys did this, It was fun.
CGA,GGA, jumbo joe, 3-18" kettles,22" blue,green,yellow and 2 reds, 1-22" lid mod for pizza, a genesis silver,2 Red SS Performers,2 26ers,1 red, 1 chief and a Ranch Kettle.

varekai

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #9 on: February 12, 2017, 06:07:44 PM »
oh yea, sorry about your Smoke, that sucks!
CGA,GGA, jumbo joe, 3-18" kettles,22" blue,green,yellow and 2 reds, 1-22" lid mod for pizza, a genesis silver,2 Red SS Performers,2 26ers,1 red, 1 chief and a Ranch Kettle.

MikeRocksTheRed

• WKC Performer
« Reply #10 on: February 12, 2017, 06:37:16 PM »
oh yea, sorry about your Smoke, that sucks!

Didn't hire a photographer but would love too!  I miss so many good pics (i.e.: my ny strips I did Friday night).  I have learned from @RumBar to just get my phone as close as possible as opposed to using the zoom. 

It looks like I need a new kickstand and battery compartment cover for my smoke then it will be back to normal.  I'll have to do a test with some boiling water to make sure it's still working properly.  Considering it was so close to the kettle and right where I had coals banked I'm kind of impressed that it seemed to run fine the entire cook and didn't suffer more damage. 

varekai

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #11 on: February 12, 2017, 06:39:39 PM »
Ouch!

Travis

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #12 on: February 12, 2017, 07:00:56 PM »
Oh shit. It just warped the back plate, right Mike? You should make a L bracket mounting plate to screw into one of the legs.

Cellar2ful

« Reply #13 on: February 12, 2017, 07:06:55 PM »

Your supersized pretzels look like the ones I get at the A's games.  Nice job @MikeRocksTheRed.  This has been fun following you guys that accepted the challenge.  Your not the first nor will you be the last to melt a thermometer on a RK. Other thermometers did not fare as well (right @Troy).
"Chasing Classic Kettles"

MikeRocksTheRed

• WKC Performer
« Reply #14 on: February 12, 2017, 07:07:49 PM »
Oh shit. It just warped the back plate, right Mike? You should make a L bracket mounting plate to screw into one of the legs.

Or just put it on the handle in the main frame that you would lift to roll the grill around.  I just didn't even think about the heat since I had put the Thermo in that spot to the left for two cold smokes.  It was a total lack of thought while I'll was stressing about guesstimating how much coal i needed to hit 450 in a grill I've never had over about 83 degrees!

I might call Thermosworks and let them know what I did.  I doubt they will cover anything under warranty but they might actually want the unit back to runs some test on to see what the heat did to the inner workings. 

You can see in this pic that the center of the frame handle would have been a much better spot for it.  This pic was from setting up for a cheese smoke.

« Last Edit: February 12, 2017, 07:10:15 PM by MikeRocksTheRed »