Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: PizzaQue on Performer  (Read 5050 times)

Harleysmoker

• WKC Brave
Re: PizzaQue on Performer
« Reply #15 on: February 10, 2017, 09:53:29 PM »
The "hooks" on the Pizza Cue will not touch the table on the plastic or stainless tables. The Pizza Cue sits inside the bowl of any kettle, all performers have a lid bale holder, that thing that holds the lid. There are two bolts going through the bowl with two nuts holding it in place. Them two nuts keep the Pizza Cue from seating all the way down. I would take the lid bale off and let it hang, or risk melting the rollers, I also take any plastic handles off.

Which one cooks better? No idea but have seen many good Pizzas turned out on the cheaper Pizza Cue

The right side hook (clip) below the thermometer absolutely does touch the stainless table.  The clip, which is flared outward, is obstructed by the table and therefore cannot come all the way down around the lip of the bowl.  This causes the PQ it to sit crooked, because the right side can not insert properly into the bowl.  I fiddled with mine for quite awhile and the only solution is to remove the curved piece of stainless from the table top for the pizza cook.  I now use my OKP instead of SSP for pizza, because of the way the PQ ring will not sit all the way down into the bowl.

If you turn the Pizza Que around so the opening is facing the rear of the SS Performer (the rear being the end where the lid bale is) will the back clip sit down in against the table?

@Harleysmoker , I thought about that after rereading your post earlier today, but the rear clip of the PQ sits as low as the two side clips, and would hit the table.  Also, high heat can cause the charcoal bin to melt a little (which I learned from experience about 8 years ago).  The other option would be to put the opening of the PQ facing the side of the table, with the rear at the lid bale, but then one would have to reach across the length of the table to slide the pizza in and out.  I think it would be easier to remove the curved SS insert. Then the opening of the PQ could remain over the Kettle where the Weber badge is located (which is my front).  If I didn't have another Kettle, that is what I would do.

If you put the opening of the PQ facing the table the Therm side clip would hit the back side as it is the same as the front, and need removal of the curved SS insert? yes?

Have you ever thought about tipping the charcoal bin out and leaving in that position for a high heat cook, then when done cooking, tipping it back? My SS Performer is 1200 miles away or I would do a test fit. The plastic table must sit farther away from the bowl than the SS models

I use and older plain jane black kettle stripped of plastic for high heat cooks, dont care about baskets, bricks, rails to keep the high heat from cracking the finish

Foster Dahlet

• WKC Ranger
Re: PizzaQue on Performer
« Reply #16 on: February 11, 2017, 07:42:18 AM »
The "hooks" on the Pizza Cue will not touch the table on the plastic or stainless tables. The Pizza Cue sits inside the bowl of any kettle, all performers have a lid bale holder, that thing that holds the lid. There are two bolts going through the bowl with two nuts holding it in place. Them two nuts keep the Pizza Cue from seating all the way down. I would take the lid bale off and let it hang, or risk melting the rollers, I also take any plastic handles off.

Which one cooks better? No idea but have seen many good Pizzas turned out on the cheaper Pizza Cue

The right side hook (clip) below the thermometer absolutely does touch the stainless table.  The clip, which is flared outward, is obstructed by the table and therefore cannot come all the way down around the lip of the bowl.  This causes the PQ it to sit crooked, because the right side can not insert properly into the bowl.  I fiddled with mine for quite awhile and the only solution is to remove the curved piece of stainless from the table top for the pizza cook.  I now use my OKP instead of SSP for pizza, because of the way the PQ ring will not sit all the way down into the bowl.

If you turn the Pizza Que around so the opening is facing the rear of the SS Performer (the rear being the end where the lid bale is) will the back clip sit down in against the table?

@Harleysmoker , I thought about that after rereading your post earlier today, but the rear clip of the PQ sits as low as the two side clips, and would hit the table.  Also, high heat can cause the charcoal bin to melt a little (which I learned from experience about 8 years ago).  The other option would be to put the opening of the PQ facing the side of the table, with the rear at the lid bale, but then one would have to reach across the length of the table to slide the pizza in and out.  I think it would be easier to remove the curved SS insert. Then the opening of the PQ could remain over the Kettle where the Weber badge is located (which is my front).  If I didn't have another Kettle, that is what I would do.

If you put the opening of the PQ facing the table the Therm side clip would hit the back side as it is the same as the front, and need removal of the curved SS insert? yes?

Have you ever thought about tipping the charcoal bin out and leaving in that position for a high heat cook, then when done cooking, tipping it back? My SS Performer is 1200 miles away or I would do a test fit. The plastic table must sit farther away from the bowl than the SS models

I use and older plain jane black kettle stripped of plastic for high heat cooks, dont care about baskets, bricks, rails to keep the high heat from cracking the finish

I have the 1st gen SS Performer (2002).  The charcoal bin does not tip out to the side (Many moons ago, I put way too much charcoal banked on the side, and when I opened my table lid to grab the wood chunks, I noticed the plastic bag was stick to the bin and a small part of the bin closest to the kettle was slightly melted/warped.  Oops.). 

If you put the PQ opening facing the table, it is possible that all the clips would work, without removal of the SS insert.  I haven't tried it, so I am not sure.  I did not think of it, until we started this conversation. But, it would be a hassle to reach across the table and tend to the pizza. 

Update:
OK, just for investigative purposes, I took the PQ and tried fitting it on my SSP.  It does not properly fit in any configuration unless one removes the curved piece to the stainless steel table.  After that, It will fit in any configuration..... but it fits best when the opening faces the lid bale or the table.  If one faces the opening towards either side of the performer's frame, then the back clip of the PQ will hit the opposite frame.  The PQ will stay put, but the angle of the pizza stone will tilt forward slightly.

Also, the lid bale nuts do interfere with the insert.  The insert is flexible enough to work with this, but there is a gap between the bowl and the insert.  Removing the lid bale would solve this problem, but that is a hassle.

So, if these things will bother you, then the KP would be the better choice.  Or, buy the PQ and a CL Weber Kettle for about the same price as one KP.  Then one would have an extra cooker too.
« Last Edit: February 11, 2017, 10:19:29 AM by Foster Dahlet »
I like my Kettles like my coffee....strong and black.

2019 Black 26" OKP; 2015 Black 22" OKP; 2004 Black SJP; mid 70's Statesman; mid 70's Gourmet, 2017 Black CGA; 2000 Black GGA;

MrSteed

• Happy Cooker
PizzaQue on Performer
« Reply #17 on: February 11, 2017, 05:16:36 PM »
Used the pizza que on my Performer for the first time today. You need to cut a notch with a grinder for the lid screw in the back and it fits no problem. My first pizza turned out pretty good, although a little burnt on the back end as I overshot it a little pushing it in.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
« Last Edit: February 11, 2017, 05:18:11 PM by MrSteed »