Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Splitting charcoal grate in two even sections?  (Read 2226 times)

jcnaz

• WKC Performer
Re: Splitting charcoal grate in two even sections?
« Reply #15 on: February 07, 2017, 07:18:36 PM »
I have a few sets of the charcoal rails, and they work well.
Here is a post from way back, about dismantling the charcoal baskets, and using the parts to fit your needs:

http://weberkettleclub.com/forums/weber-kettles-accessories/getting-more-from-charcoal-baskets/msg146776/#msg146776

[emoji6]

Sent from my SM-G930V using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

A bunch of black kettles
-JC

MINIgrillin

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #16 on: February 07, 2017, 07:59:28 PM »
I'm not thinking the charcoal rails are going to give you a complete separation of zones. I use fire bricks I found in my yard. Not masonry bricks. They are thinner and longer than that. There's no radiant heat passing them bricks, but then again I'm using this setup on a 26r. I got plenty of space.

I'm gonna say the ultimate solution for your needs is a slow and sear. Next solution would be some fire bricks. Heck...I've used folded up aluminum foil to hang from the grill grate to make a radiant barrier. I've seen someone festoon a barrier with a pizza pan by cutting a section of it off and some slots to go around the grate supports.
Seville. CnB performer:blue,green,gray. 26r. 18otg. Karubeque C-60.

Harleysmoker

• WKC Brave
« Reply #17 on: February 07, 2017, 09:28:45 PM »
Dump the coals in and cook, quit making it complicated. No need for bricks or attachments

HoosierKettle

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #18 on: February 08, 2017, 09:30:53 AM »

Dump the coals in and cook, quit making it complicated. No need for bricks or attachments

I like your style, but I do like the simple extremely simple accessories such as baskets in the 22".

I can't believe I haven't gotten these rails until now. Very cheap and snap in great in the grate. [emoji41]. This will make configuring coals easily into many different configurations on the 26er. The baskets don't make good use of space in a 26.  Hard to see, but here is a pic of the rails in my 26. This will make both a huge area for indirect and a contained area for enough coal for hours of cooking.

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club mobile app