Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Splitting charcoal grate in two even sections?  (Read 2227 times)

webbc1x

• Smokey Joe
Splitting charcoal grate in two even sections?
« on: February 06, 2017, 07:11:39 AM »
I am looking to split my Weber kettle charcoal grate into to even sections for indirect and direct cooking.  Weber's charcoal baskets are always too small for what I need.  I have seen some people create a divider using fire bricks...any other thoughts?

MINIgrillin

• WKC Ranger
Re: Splitting charcoal grate in two even sections?
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2017, 07:58:28 AM »
Slow and sear is what you are looking for.

http://www.abcbarbecue.com/slow-n-sear
Seville. CnB performer:blue,green,gray. 26r. 18otg. Karubeque C-60.

HoosierKettle

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2017, 08:49:03 AM »
I have used a medium baking pan with and without water, then pile the coals next to it. Not sure there would be any benefit from trying to split a grate to use as a divider. A pan will keep the coals retained to one side. I also use the snake method with a pie pan in the middle.  I don't have one but slow and sear does look very convenient.

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

The Guy

• Happy Cooker
« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2017, 09:18:10 AM »
I folded an expanded piece of metal into a triangle that I use on one side of the kettle that works well.  Also Weber makes charcoal rails. They are around $10, I haven't used them though

Darko

• WKC Performer
« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2017, 12:41:25 PM »
I am looking to split my Weber kettle charcoal grate into to even sections for indirect and direct cooking.  Weber's charcoal baskets are always too small for what I need.  I have seen some people create a divider using fire bricks...any other thoughts?
The old weber charcoal separator thingies are what you're looking for. They just clip onto the charcoal grate wherever you want them. It's Weber part #7402

HoosierKettle

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2017, 01:30:46 PM »

The old weber charcoal separator thingies are what you're looking for. They just clip onto the charcoal grate wherever you want them. It's Weber part #7402

Do you know the difference between this and #3901?  Amazon has both and they look the same but one costs more.

HoosierKettle

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #6 on: February 06, 2017, 01:31:44 PM »
I'm considering getting these. It would be nice to have the spacing flexibility.

Geezer

• WKC Brave
« Reply #7 on: February 06, 2017, 02:47:51 PM »

I use these all the time.  Just put 'em where you want 'em.

webbc1x

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #8 on: February 06, 2017, 02:53:01 PM »
Thanks everyone, may try the charcoal rails in the future.  They aren't quite long enough to make it across the center of the charcoal grate, although you could probably put two in line with each other to make it across.  Going with the expanded steel for now and seeing how that holds up.

Darko

• WKC Performer
« Reply #9 on: February 06, 2017, 03:49:48 PM »

Do you know the difference between this and #3901?  Amazon has both and they look the same but one costs more.

They look the same to me. The old ones are different.

Old Dave

• WKC Brave
    • Old Dave's Po-Farm
« Reply #10 on: February 06, 2017, 08:20:26 PM »
Here is another vote for the Weber 7402 charcoal rails. I have several sets and use them in many different grills and they are perfect for holding charcoal where you want it.

Very easy to clip on to your charcoal grate. This picture shows them on a charcoal grate from a Weber Jumbo Joe.

This is pair of them on one side of my Ranch Kettle.

This is four of the charcoal rails on my Weber Ranch giving me two even burning fires for a large low and slow cook.

HoosierKettle

• WKC Ambassador
Splitting charcoal grate in two even sections?
« Reply #11 on: February 07, 2017, 01:16:28 AM »
Thanks @Old Dave
I just ordered these.  I've never liked how charcoal baskets fit in my 26.

They are only $11. I'm wondering if I should have ordered 2 sets?

RottiGuy

• WKC Performer
« Reply #12 on: February 07, 2017, 01:56:42 AM »
Think i'm going to pick up a set as well...

mrgoodbar67

• WKC Brave
« Reply #13 on: February 07, 2017, 06:24:30 PM »
Slow and sear or baskets the way to go. 

-Custon SS 1998 Performer- with mods inspired by Idahawk, Winz, Zavod44 and a bunch of you here.
- Jumbo Joe with smoker mods

kettlebb

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #14 on: February 07, 2017, 06:28:37 PM »
Another vote for the slow n Sear. Love mine. Built like a tank and sets up a great two zone cook.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Looking for: Red MBH 26"(The Aristocrat), Chestnut-coppertone (The Estate), Glen-blue (The Imperial), and The Plainsman.