Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Adding an extra Thermometer  (Read 5163 times)

Ryan101

• Smokey Joe
Adding an extra Thermometer
« on: January 22, 2017, 08:21:30 PM »
The weber i have only has a little thermometer which will be as old at the lid ( around 20yrs)
Should i get another thermometer off ebay which i would mount next to the top vent, ( drill a hole and fit with a nut either side )

varekai

• WKC Ranger
Re: Adding an extra Thermometer
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2017, 08:48:20 PM »
NO.  get a probe thermo such as a maverick 733... lid thermos are not a true read on your grilling temp. so yea, just no. And welcome to the club!!
CGA,GGA, jumbo joe, 3-18" kettles,22" blue,green,yellow and 2 reds, 1-22" lid mod for pizza, a genesis silver,2 Red SS Performers,2 26ers,1 red, 1 chief and a Ranch Kettle.

Ryan101

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2017, 09:18:13 PM »
So something the will go thru the top vent and stick into the meat? Can you point me in the direction to look? Im in Australia
Thanks for the welcome

Davescprktl

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2017, 11:12:57 PM »
Get your self an oven thermometer.  It's not very expensive and way more accurate than the lid thermo.
OKP Crimson, 22" H Code Brownie, SJS Lime, 22" CB Stacker, Red Q2200, Performer Deluxe CB slate blue

"If God didn't want us to eat animals, why did he make them out of meat?"  H. Simpson

Ryan101

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2017, 11:21:12 PM »
To stick in the meat or stick into the lid? Sorry sounds dumb but never used a weber or bbq much for that matter lol

Travis

• WKC Ambassador
Adding an extra Thermometer
« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2017, 11:50:07 PM »
An oven thermometer sits on the cooking grates or "oven" grate. It does not go into the meat. You can't see it while the lid is on which is it's only downfall, but it cost just a couple bucks and can be picked up probably at your grocery store. Everyone should have a couple.
If you're looking for monitoring the cooking temp. as well the meat temps, then you should look into the Maverick lineups. They are more costly, and range anywhere from $20 to $100 USD.
The lid thermometers lie to you, mostly. Heat rises so the readings can be very different from cooking grate temps, which is the important one.
Take a look at the Mavericks and see if that's a route you are interested in. Otherwise the oven thermos and quite frankly, your hand can be one of the best judgements of temp.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
« Last Edit: January 22, 2017, 11:51:38 PM by Travis »

Travis

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #6 on: January 22, 2017, 11:55:17 PM »
Btw Ryan. No dumb questions here. This is how we learn from each other.

Ryan101

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #7 on: January 23, 2017, 12:16:55 AM »
Ahhh perfect thanks! Only issue is id have to resist opening every 5 mins to check the temp lol

Travis

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #8 on: January 23, 2017, 12:25:31 AM »
I hear ya. Hard to resist looking, but as the saying goes, "if you lookin, you ain't cookin!"

Ryan101

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #9 on: January 23, 2017, 12:34:12 AM »

Ryan101

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #10 on: January 23, 2017, 12:35:17 AM »
This just sticks into the lid thru the vent, something like this?

Travis

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #11 on: January 23, 2017, 01:06:33 AM »
Ok. So that's one probe. It will monitor one thing. I'm cooking a pork butt right now and have a Maverick et-71 ($20 usd)probe running the cook. It's a single probe. I have it pierced through a small potato monitoring my grate temp for the cook. If I were to put it in the meat, I'd lose my grate temp and it would start monitoring the internal temp. Let me go out and snap a pic for you.

Travis

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #12 on: January 23, 2017, 01:10:19 AM »

It's not running through the lid vent. It's running between the lid and bowl. Just have to make sure not to pinch the wires which means just be careful putting the lid back on.

kemmons

• WKC Brave
« Reply #13 on: January 23, 2017, 03:58:35 AM »
Everyone here is correct, a probe thermometer is definitely the most accurate. 

For me though the most important thing is keeping consistent temperatures in the bowl throughout the cook is the most important thing.  I'm not a huge stickler when it comes to cooking temps I'm more concerned with internal meat temps. 

I do use a probe to monitor meat temps but mostly monitor my grill temp with lid thermos.  If you don't mind drilling into your kettle lid I'd suggest mounting one opposite the vent at grate level.  I've done this and compared it to ratings with  a probe thermometer and it's very accurate and inexpensive. 

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

HoosierKettle

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #14 on: January 23, 2017, 05:02:40 AM »
All great advice. I like @kemmons approach. I like the convenience of a lid thermo. I'll double check with my oven thermo from time to time.

Oven thermo is great to have and very cheap if you don't already have one. I liked it so well that I have refrigerator / freezer thermos in both refrigerators. They look the same but have different temperature ranges obviously.

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club mobile app