Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Meh Round of Pizzas  (Read 1626 times)

jaynik

• WKC Brave
Meh Round of Pizzas
« on: January 22, 2017, 07:05:48 AM »
Broke out the kettle pizza last night. It was raining but whatever. Was also making some wings so I pre heated the stone with a chimney of kbb.  Wings went great by the way. After we ate the wings, I went to use the kp to find that the coal basked was basically choked out and so had lost some temp.  I dumped the basket until it only was about half full of coals.  Pay attention to this point because those coals ended up under the stone.  I loaded another chimney of kbb and then got the kettle up to temp.  Things looked pretty good. 

Since this was a last minute Cook, I had to use store bought dough which is much more dense than what I normally make. That meant a bit longer cooking time. Unfortunately for me, I hadn't realized the stone was uber hot from the coals from the basket. Pulled the pizza to find a charcoal black bottom but only medium cooked top despite doming it.  Oops.

Moving this along, on the subsequent pies, I halved the dough and stretched it a bit more to make thinner pies. I ended up doing 5 pies.  I got better with each successive pie with (as usual for me) the final pie being the best. I kept them all pretty simple as is my style.

All in all, it was still fun.  Not my best but not my worst.  Next attempt is expected next weekend.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

MikeRocksTheRed

• WKC Performer
    • The Kettle Cookers (facebook group)
Re: Meh Round of Pizzas
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2017, 06:41:46 AM »
Not too shabby!  I always make a few extra pizzas so I have some wiggle room to mess up one or two of them.  My cooks sound a lot like yours with each pizza getting a little better.   My last cook I actually managed to form two fairly round pizzas instead of roundish rectangles.  Were you able to hold temps ok with it raining?  I would think that it might draw a lot of the heat out of the lid.
62-68 Avocado BAR-B-Q Kettle, Red ER SS Performer, Green DA SS Performer, Black EE three wheeler, 1 SJS, 1 Homer Simpson SJS,  AT Black 26er, 82 Kettle Gasser Deluxe, "A" code 18.5 MBH, M Code Tuck-n-Carry, P Code Go Anywhere, 2015 RANCH FREAKING KETTLE!!!!!!

jaynik

• WKC Brave
Re: Meh Round of Pizzas
« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2017, 04:11:37 PM »
Temps sort of sucked which just exacerbated the problems with the stone being too hot.  We ate most of the pies, but they weren't all awesome for sure.