Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: How are people liking the bolt on handles???  (Read 10724 times)

Darko

• WKC Performer
Re: How are people liking the bolt on handles???
« Reply #45 on: January 20, 2017, 01:20:02 PM »
Joe, what I found to be an issue is replacing the handles with wood. Brian's handles just didn't fit the shape of the new taco. Of course, I'm not expecting him to design a new style to fit the new handles.... although that would be cool... but I digress.

In the end, any grill I get, I replace the handles with wood; a personal aesthetic, nothing more.
What doesn't fit?  I see them on your grill, I have one on my own?  Bolts right on?

Sent from my Moto Z force Droid
OK, after reading my original post, it seems that I was not clear enough it what I meant to say. Let me clarify, @zavod44 . Brian's handles fit perfectly & bolt right on. They are designed to look like Weber wood handles.  That they do perfectly. If you look at the history of Weber's plastic handles, the shapes have changed over the years. The early ones looked like the wooden handles in shape, but later they got more rounded. But in all that time the metal strap stayed the same, so if someone decided to change to a wood handle it looked the same. When Weber introduced the bolt on taco, the shape of the strap changed to those curved uprights. Brian's handles bolt on with no issue and look much better than the plastic ones that come with the grill IMO.
 Heck, one of the first things I did when I got my performer was to order a set of handles from zavod44. He did not disappoint. The handle he made for me looked great, but after a while something started to bug me.  It was that Weber taco. It's shape to me just looked off. Perhaps I was just too used to the original shape.  That's when I ordered the fireplace handles.  For me I liked the look a bit better.

TD

• WKC Brave
« Reply #46 on: January 20, 2017, 09:28:38 PM »
Its them darn curved uprights. Its the bottom vent on the Smokey Joe that should have gotten a new handle.
« Last Edit: January 20, 2017, 09:48:31 PM by TD »

greenweb

• WKC Performer
« Reply #47 on: January 21, 2017, 05:15:50 AM »
Don't worry be happy!  Have fun with it. Bolt on handles not going away anytime soon.

The Copper 3 ways.  I have 1 more coming.

Either you go with the flow, or avoid a new change and miss out on great colored kettles. Your choice.

captjoe06

• WKC Performer
    • Northeast BBQ
« Reply #48 on: January 21, 2017, 05:30:57 AM »
For the life of me I can't figure out what people find so offensive about the taco handles.
I feel like someone at some point early on declared them ugly and then everyone else followed suit, lol.

Smokey Joe Black, Smokey Joe Lime Green, Original Kettle Premium Black,'92 Red OTS, Yellow Simpson's 22, 78 Red MBH, '80 Black MBH, '10 Brick Red Performer,'12 Grass Green Performer, '03 Blue SSP, '97 Blue SSP, 18 inch WSM

Travis

• WKC Ambassador
How are people liking the bolt on handles???
« Reply #49 on: January 21, 2017, 06:38:15 AM »
That's funny Joe. I don't mind them either. I will when I do have one someday, I would keep the shield with it. Going by greenwebs 3 different handles with the copper. The bottom one looks the best to me though, classic look, then the handle with the taco but don't care for the look of the curved handle with missing taco. Looks like it's missing something to me.
@greenweb is that the fireplace bolt on handle Darko has been using?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
« Last Edit: January 21, 2017, 06:39:46 AM by Travis »

captjoe06

• WKC Performer
    • Northeast BBQ
« Reply #50 on: January 21, 2017, 07:41:11 AM »
That's funny Joe. I don't mind them either. I will when I do have one someday, I would keep the shield with it. Going by greenwebs 3 different handles with the copper. The bottom one looks the best to me though, classic look, then the handle with the taco but don't care for the look of the curved handle with missing taco. Looks like it's missing something to me.

I agree, don't like the look without the taco at all.
Smokey Joe Black, Smokey Joe Lime Green, Original Kettle Premium Black,'92 Red OTS, Yellow Simpson's 22, 78 Red MBH, '80 Black MBH, '10 Brick Red Performer,'12 Grass Green Performer, '03 Blue SSP, '97 Blue SSP, 18 inch WSM

greenweb

• WKC Performer
« Reply #51 on: January 21, 2017, 07:54:49 AM »
I agree with Darko on how the stock handle strap looks even more bowed out with Zav wooden handle on.  I say it still looks better than stock.

Well, I had this idea of reshaping the stock handle to suit better with a custom Zav wood for awhile now.  I just tried this morning. It was either scraping one good stock taco handle trying or I may have something half decent custom handle.  Not perfect but it turned out ok. I am happy with it.

Reshaped stock handle with a Zav Lacewood/Leopardwood wood.

« Last Edit: January 21, 2017, 08:20:04 AM by greenweb »

greenweb

• WKC Performer
« Reply #52 on: January 21, 2017, 08:05:03 AM »

The 3rd pic is not the fireplace handle. It is a stock black handle strap I saved from a mid 80's spare lid.
« Last Edit: January 21, 2017, 01:59:51 PM by greenweb »

HoosierKettle

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #53 on: January 21, 2017, 08:31:25 AM »

I agree with Darko on how the stock handle strap looks even more bowed out with Zav wooden handle on.  I say it still looks better than stock.

Well, I had this idea of reshaping the stock handle to suit better with a custom Zav wood for awhile now.  I just tried this morning. It was either scraping one good stock taco handle trying or I may have something half decent custom handle.  Not perfect but it turned out ok. I am happy with it.

Reshaped stock handle with a Zav Lacewood/Leopardwood wood.

Right on greenweb. That might be my favorite version of a new handle I've seen.

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

Idahawk

• WKC Performer
« Reply #54 on: January 21, 2017, 08:34:22 AM »
For the life of me I can't figure out what people find so offensive about the taco handles.
I feel like someone at some point early on declared them ugly and then everyone else followed suit, lol.

It's more about the cheapening of the product for me , although the new handles are butt ugly I'm more disappointed in the new ownership taking the Kettle down the path that so many other companies have. The improvement is not an improvement because we're talking about it , adding washers to make it work right all so some fat cats bottom line looks better, no thank you , colors or not .

I own one taco handle it's an Ivory Mt that I wanted so desperately and after using it and having the handle come loose several times it's been parked in the corner.

Weber Stephen will ultimately discover that if they want to compete with all the cheap ass grills on the market , they will become just that . Bad news travels , as a former BBQ store owner and now caterer Im constantly asked about the various grills on the market , I know longer recommend Traeger , when 15 years ago they couldn't be beat and for anyone that wants a Weber , I tell them to find an old one !

Wanted plum/burgundy 18.5
WTB Color Copies of old Weber Catalogs

greenweb

• WKC Performer
« Reply #55 on: January 21, 2017, 09:16:01 AM »

I own one taco handle it's an Ivory Mt that I wanted so desperately and after using it and having the handle come loose several times it's been parked in the corner.

:o :o  Sorry to hear about that.

For heavy use you  put it through, I would replaced the nuts ( stock nut is not even real nut. it only holds I thread on the bolt) to real SS nuts, flat washer followed up with a lock washer to  keep the pressure on, so it does not back out.   You probably tried this already, but not understanding how it would back out.  If you want a real fool proof way, replace bolts to a longer SS bolts and from underside of the lid put a  flat washer and lock washer then a nut... than put another nut and lock both nuts together.

I do understand what you are saying about the quality compared to old but I don't have much issues except few issues with lids that were replaced under warranty. So for me it is all good.  You already have a Ivory. I would make best use out of it than parking it.

@ HoosierKettle - Thanks!  I am glad you like it.
« Last Edit: January 21, 2017, 11:34:03 AM by greenweb »

Idahawk

• WKC Performer
« Reply #56 on: January 21, 2017, 09:58:02 AM »

:o :o  Sorry to hear about that.

For heavy use you  put it through, I would replaced the nuts ( stock nut is not even real nut. it only holds I thread on the bolt) to real SS nuts, flat washer followed up with a lock washer to  keep the pressure on, so it does not back out.   You probably tried this already, but not understanding how it would back out.  If you want a real fool proof way, replace bolts to a longer SS bolts and from underside of the lid put a  flat washer and lock washer then a nut... than put another nut and lock both nuts together.

I do understand what you are saying about the quality compared to old but I don't have much issues except few issues with lids that were replaced under warranty. So for me it is all good.  You already have a Ivory. I would make best use out of it than parking it.

The hardware was the first thing I replaced ,I never bothered with that fake stuff Weber supplied and I chucked the grey wheel covers as well . I didn't do the fiber washers first time around so I had to add those

Wanted plum/burgundy 18.5
WTB Color Copies of old Weber Catalogs

greenweb

• WKC Performer
« Reply #57 on: January 21, 2017, 11:14:50 AM »
@ Idahawk - good point about using fiber washer. I take it that you are referring to a high temp gasket material ( same as car engine gaskets)to go between the lid and the bottom of the handle to avoid metal to porcelain contact. I use them as well to avoid possible porcelain chips.  Once bolts have been torqued properly ( not too tight ) and after few heat cycles, then re torqued to seat the gasket, then with another nut to lock in both should do it.
I have not used the double nut on my handles as they are fine the way it is, but there is no way the handle is coming loose with this method.

Good luck with your Ivory. I have always enjoyed your cooks with your Ivory. Hope to see it in action again soon.

Josh G

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #58 on: January 22, 2017, 08:27:56 AM »
@greenweb  If you have time can you post a picture of the fiber washers you use.  Are fiber washers all pretty much the same?

Thank you!

greenweb

• WKC Performer
« Reply #59 on: January 22, 2017, 10:18:35 AM »
@greenweb  If you have time can you post a picture of the fiber washers you use.  Are fiber washers all pretty much the same?

Thank you!

What I use is a high temp Gasket material similar to this https://www.amazon.com/Mr-Gasket-9615MRG-Compressed-Material/dp/B00068OLEW on vehicle engine application.  I cut to size and use hollow punch to make holes.

Not sure if required, but if you want, I could take pics of what I use, cut and center punch and put it together lid handle assy. on the lid.