Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: How are people liking the bolt on handles???  (Read 10719 times)

greenweb

• WKC Performer
Re: How are people liking the bolt on handles???
« Reply #30 on: January 19, 2017, 01:54:09 PM »
Stock bolt on and one without the taco shell.

Fireplace handle.

Stock welded handle.

MrHoss

• WKC Performer
« Reply #31 on: January 19, 2017, 03:40:24 PM »
"Why do you have so many bbq's?"....."I just like lookin' at em' sometimes....and I have enough purses and shoes"

greenweb

• WKC Performer
« Reply #32 on: January 19, 2017, 04:32:14 PM »

Did you paint the handle strap?

Not painted. The handle strap is from a stock black spare kettle I had. The lid was so beat up the handle practically pulled off. I also saved 3 bowl vents from the same spare kettle to go on the Green MBH.  Surprisingly, I am saving that particular kettle with another spare lid and a mismatch bowl vents. Black wheels without holes will also get donated to my other project kettle.

TD

• WKC Brave
« Reply #33 on: January 19, 2017, 07:34:01 PM »
Nothing like hacking up a new Kettle!

The Taco can be converted. Must be steel. Pretty hard to bend. I used a big crescent wrench. Used the cut off handle as a pattern and of coarse it was too tall. After redoing it one of my knuckle joints is pretty sore.
Per pbe gummi bear tall handles are not anesthetically pleasing. Haha.

zavod44

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #34 on: January 19, 2017, 09:13:35 PM »
Joe, what I found to be an issue is replacing the handles with wood. Brian's handles just didn't fit the shape of the new taco. Of course, I'm not expecting him to design a new style to fit the new handles.... although that would be cool... but I digress.

In the end, any grill I get, I replace the handles with wood; a personal aesthetic, nothing more.
What doesn't fit?  I see them on your grill, I have one on my own?  Bolts right on?

Sent from my Moto Z force Droid

Vintage Weber Grill raconteur and bon vivant.....and definitely Sir Agent X

zavod44

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #35 on: January 19, 2017, 09:16:31 PM »
Looking at the two, my opinion is that I don't really mind the taco so much. I would like it a helluva lot better if Brian made handles that fit the shape better.

Now, please don't take this wrong, this is in no way a complaint against Brian's work, more to do with Weber changing the shape.

What is your specific complaint about the fit?  For me it is less the bottom piece not going the full length of the metal handle, but an issue with the top part of the handle rotating sometimes since there metal handle doesn't have the nubs that the old welded handles did.  I'm sure I could fix that pretty easy by drilling out the metal handle then putting some studs into the holes in the top handle that would prevent it from twisting.

I make a fix to these handles so they don't spin. You just need to let me know your putting it on a new grill and I can easily make the modification. I have done a bunch for @Mcgolden lately

mcgolden

• WKC Ranger
How are people liking the bolt on handles???
« Reply #36 on: January 20, 2017, 03:10:55 AM »
Looking at the two, my opinion is that I don't really mind the taco so much. I would like it a helluva lot better if Brian made handles that fit the shape better.

Now, please don't take this wrong, this is in no way a complaint against Brian's work, more to do with Weber changing the shape.

What is your specific complaint about the fit?  For me it is less the bottom piece not going the full length of the metal handle, but an issue with the top part of the handle rotating sometimes since there metal handle doesn't have the nubs that the old welded handles did.  I'm sure I could fix that pretty easy by drilling out the metal handle then putting some studs into the holes in the top handle that would prevent it from twisting.

I make a fix to these handles so they don't spin. You just need to let me know your putting it on a new grill and I can easily make the modification. I have done a bunch for @Mcgolden lately

He did it with these and they work and look great. No spinning.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MikeRocksTheRed

• WKC Performer
    • The Kettle Cookers (facebook group)
« Reply #37 on: January 20, 2017, 07:27:06 AM »
@zavod44 @mcgolden -  Good to know.  It hasn't really been a big deal though.  What is the mod that you do to handles for newer grills?
62-68 Avocado BAR-B-Q Kettle, Red ER SS Performer, Green DA SS Performer, Black EE three wheeler, 1 SJS, 1 Homer Simpson SJS,  AT Black 26er, 82 Kettle Gasser Deluxe, "A" code 18.5 MBH, M Code Tuck-n-Carry, P Code Go Anywhere, 2015 RANCH FREAKING KETTLE!!!!!!

HoosierKettle

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #38 on: January 20, 2017, 07:39:17 AM »
The bolt on taco on my 26 hasn't given me any problems. My vent and thermo is still in the right locations. My main beef with the new 22 taco is they changed the vent location. Not a deal breaker but I'll probably continue to buy older kettles unless I find a good deal on a master touch or performer. I really just need more old mbh kettles or 3 wood.

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

Josh G

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #39 on: January 20, 2017, 07:44:18 AM »
Either way I don't think they are going to bring back the old handles.  Too many claims and loss of profits. 

MikeRocksTheRed

• WKC Performer
    • The Kettle Cookers (facebook group)
« Reply #40 on: January 20, 2017, 08:03:48 AM »
Either way I don't think they are going to bring back the old handles.  Too many claims and loss of profits.

I think you got that right.  Has to be saving Weber a ton on warranty issues with the handle not being welded on.
62-68 Avocado BAR-B-Q Kettle, Red ER SS Performer, Green DA SS Performer, Black EE three wheeler, 1 SJS, 1 Homer Simpson SJS,  AT Black 26er, 82 Kettle Gasser Deluxe, "A" code 18.5 MBH, M Code Tuck-n-Carry, P Code Go Anywhere, 2015 RANCH FREAKING KETTLE!!!!!!

MacEggs

• WKC Performer
« Reply #41 on: January 20, 2017, 08:18:59 AM »
What is the mod that you do to handles for newer grills?

If one is handy with tools, there is always THIS option.
Q: How do you know something is bull$h!t?
A: When you are not allowed to question it.

zavod44

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #42 on: January 20, 2017, 11:19:57 AM »
I'll send a pic, it's easier than trying to explain

hawgheaven

• WKC Performer
    • Hawg Heaven Smokin' BBQ
« Reply #43 on: January 20, 2017, 12:05:30 PM »
Well, I am a fan of the taco bolt on, especially when using the Vortex... The handle stays comfortable. Never had any issues with it loosening up. Love it.
Multiple kettles and WSM's. I am not a collector, just a gatherer... and a sick bastard.

greenweb

• WKC Performer
« Reply #44 on: January 20, 2017, 12:50:07 PM »
Nothing like hacking up a new Kettle!

Nice work! My Copper is getting the same treatment when I done with my current project.

Did you turn it into a Master Touch? If you did, I believe that would be the first North American Copper MT.  Currently, only offered in Germany as a 2016 winter special edition.