Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: How are people liking the bolt on handles???  (Read 10718 times)

Darko

• WKC Performer
Re: How are people liking the bolt on handles???
« Reply #15 on: January 18, 2017, 05:27:01 PM »
Joe, what I found to be an issue is replacing the handles with wood. Brian's handles just didn't fit the shape of the new taco. Of course, I'm not expecting him to design a new style to fit the new handles.... although that would be cool... but I digress.

In the end, any grill I get, I replace the handles with wood; a personal aesthetic, nothing more.

Craig

• WKC Mod
« Reply #16 on: January 18, 2017, 07:21:31 PM »
I have hoarded some fireplace straps and some donor black straps for the day I land a taco bolt kettle.

Josh G

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #17 on: January 19, 2017, 07:04:34 AM »
So why on the fireplaces does Weber include fiber washers to use against the porcelain to avoid damage but on the standard grills they have you bolt it directly on?

MikeRocksTheRed

• WKC Performer
    • The Kettle Cookers (facebook group)
How are people liking the bolt on handles???
« Reply #18 on: January 19, 2017, 07:18:09 AM »
Looking at the two, my opinion is that I don't really mind the taco so much. I would like it a helluva lot better if Brian made handles that fit the shape better.

Now, please don't take this wrong, this is in no way a complaint against Brian's work, more to do with Weber changing the shape.

What is your specific complaint about the fit?  For me it is less the bottom piece not going the full length of the metal handle, but an issue with the top part of the handle rotating sometimes since there metal handle doesn't have the nubs that the old welded handles did.  I'm sure I could fix that pretty easy by drilling out the metal handle then putting some studs into the holes in the top handle that would prevent it from twisting.

62-68 Avocado BAR-B-Q Kettle, Red ER SS Performer, Green DA SS Performer, Black EE three wheeler, 1 SJS, 1 Homer Simpson SJS,  AT Black 26er, 82 Kettle Gasser Deluxe, "A" code 18.5 MBH, M Code Tuck-n-Carry, P Code Go Anywhere, 2015 RANCH FREAKING KETTLE!!!!!!

MacEggs

• WKC Performer
« Reply #19 on: January 19, 2017, 07:32:31 AM »
I must admit that when I first saw pics of the taco handle, I was not impressed.

However, when I look at my Ivory MT, the colour easily takes over and I don't care anymore about how the handle looks. 
I much prefer the taco on, then removed.  YMMV

And, IMO, the fireplace handle replacement looks like a welded handle that's been ripped off … then bolted back on.  No thanks.

As far as usability …. I have had no issues.  I made sure that it was not over-tightened.
Q: How do you know something is bull$h!t?
A: When you are not allowed to question it.

charred

• WKC Performer
« Reply #20 on: January 19, 2017, 07:44:49 AM »
If I ever get a taco grill, I'm swapping in the firepit handles. I really don't like the taco handle look at all.
hopelessly, helplessly, happily addicted to a shipload of Webers

Darko

• WKC Performer
« Reply #21 on: January 19, 2017, 08:03:41 AM »
Looking at the two, my opinion is that I don't really mind the taco so much. I would like it a helluva lot better if Brian made handles that fit the shape better.

Now, please don't take this wrong, this is in no way a complaint against Brian's work, more to do with Weber changing the shape.

What is your specific complaint about the fit?  For me it is less the bottom piece not going the full length of the metal handle, but an issue with the top part of the handle rotating sometimes since there metal handle doesn't have the nubs that the old welded handles did.  I'm sure I could fix that pretty easy by drilling out the metal handle then putting some studs into the holes in the top handle that would prevent it from twisting.

It is that space between the bottom piece and the curved uprights that kind of annoys me, but as I said before, only for aesthetic reasons.

crowderjd

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #22 on: January 19, 2017, 09:28:14 AM »
What is the part number for the fireplace handle? 
Chasing the impossibles: Westerner, Custom, Meat Cut!

Darko

• WKC Performer
« Reply #23 on: January 19, 2017, 10:26:10 AM »

LightningBoldtz

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #24 on: January 19, 2017, 10:28:57 AM »
the taco handle doesn't bother me so much, I really don't like that the wood handles spin like they do as shown above.
I am not a collector, but I do have a small collection.
"You can have everything in life you want if you will just help enough other people get what they want"
8 MBH, 2 WoodDale, a SCG, and other stuff, including Pellet grills.

Kneab

• WKC Performer
« Reply #25 on: January 19, 2017, 10:35:35 AM »
Here's the link.

http://www.ereplacementparts.com/handle-fireplace-p-1475698.html
What is the hole spacing on the fireplace handles? Would they work on an wsm 18 where the grate straps are bolted?

searching for 1 18" straight lip twist ash pan.

ISO Brown Go Anywhere

JEBIV

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #26 on: January 19, 2017, 10:39:51 AM »
I personally don't mind the Taco handle but I only have one grill with it on it my 2010 26er
Seeking a Black Sequoia I know I know, I'd settle for just the tabbed no leg grill

Darko

• WKC Performer
« Reply #27 on: January 19, 2017, 11:10:17 AM »
Apparently, if you tell Brian they're for a taco, he makes them slightly different, so they don't spin.

Darko

• WKC Performer
« Reply #28 on: January 19, 2017, 11:13:39 AM »
Here's the link.

http://www.ereplacementparts.com/handle-fireplace-p-1475698.html
What is the hole spacing on the fireplace handles? Would they work on an wsm 18 where the grate straps are bolted?

searching for 1 18" straight lip twist ash pan.
I can't help with that, but I do know they are a direct replacement for the bolt on taco. There was no difference in spacing.

Hell Fire Grill

• WKC Performer
« Reply #29 on: January 19, 2017, 12:04:50 PM »

The taco and fire place handles have a 5 1/2" spacing and the WSM has 6"
You can't always get what you want....but if you try sometimes you get what you need