Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: First Tri Tip  (Read 2720 times)

Vwbuggin64

• WKC Ranger
Re: First Tri Tip
« Reply #15 on: January 18, 2017, 12:55:37 AM »
So the Santa Maria style BBQ was created for the tri-tip. Oak wood, seasoning (Santa Maria style or Sue-z-q) and the tri-tip. So much goodness

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club mobile app
Rollin coal

26" 2010 AD Code (Black), 22" 81 B (Faded Black), 22" 86 H (Black),91 N SJ (black), 18" 65 (Red), 12 AU Tostito SJ , 22" CU (Copper), 22” 2018 CB (Crimson),22” (Brown)Happy Cooker, Q2000 Charcoal, Weber Spirit, 22in Yellow, 18"WSM, Happy cooker SJ

Cellar2ful

« Reply #16 on: January 18, 2017, 11:44:44 AM »

Great thing about tri-tips, it produces rare, medium rare and well done, all out of one cut of meat. The small triangular point always produces the most well done pieces. Makes it easy when serving groups of people that all have different preferences.

I marinate my tri-tips for 3 days in Chaka's MMM Sauce.  Remove them from the refrigerator 2 hours before cooking.  Sear them three minutes per side direct over the coals, then move them to indirect until internal temp is at 127 degrees in the thickest part.  Then I remove them from the grill and let them rest on a cutting board under a foil tent for 15 minutes and then slice.   

Rosemary is one of those herbs I always overlook or never think of. Finally got some and went grate on the chicken breast I grilled this weekend. I'll have to pick up some more.

Rosemary is great on pork, lamb and turkey and is very prolific.  If you can find someone that has a plant, just break off a 8" or 10" piece. Strip the leaves on the bottom 2" and put it in a glass of water in the house for a couple of weeks.  It will sprout roots and then plant it in a pot or somewhere in your garden.  You will never have to buy it again.  Handles all kinds of climates.
« Last Edit: January 18, 2017, 01:41:17 PM by Cellar2ful »
"Chasing Classic Kettles"

johncorvin

• WKC Brave
« Reply #17 on: January 20, 2017, 04:44:36 PM »

Well tonight's the night.  Going the rosemary route. All I had on hand was some dehydrated rosemary, olive oil in a spray can and s&p. We'll see. Going to be cooking it offset using craycort ci grates and finish with searing. Hopefully the ci doesn't get to hot and cook it too fast. Planning on doing maybe a 3/4 chimney in split charcoal holders.

Sent from my SM-G935P using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

johncorvin

• WKC Brave
« Reply #18 on: January 20, 2017, 05:57:02 PM »

Travis

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #19 on: January 20, 2017, 06:02:42 PM »
Can't go wrong with those ingredients. Enjoy the cook, bud!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

johncorvin

• WKC Brave
« Reply #20 on: January 20, 2017, 08:14:43 PM »

This was a little hot.

Got hot quick so just ended half lid on and off,  everything happened so quickly.

Little more done then I wanted but  thoroughly enjoyed. Ended up eating most of it since the rest of the family doesn't like red meat. You would think this would be done enough for them. Didn't take anymore pictures after this because it was just pure gluttony.

« Last Edit: January 20, 2017, 08:17:58 PM by johncorvin »

varekai

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #21 on: January 20, 2017, 08:57:28 PM »
You done good son!!!  I did 2 tri tips yesterday, sent the leftovers home with my son ( little bastard), picked up 2 more this afternoon to use with my Anova sous vide that I'm picking up tomorrow!! cant wait to play!
CGA,GGA, jumbo joe, 3-18" kettles,22" blue,green,yellow and 2 reds, 1-22" lid mod for pizza, a genesis silver,2 Red SS Performers,2 26ers,1 red, 1 chief and a Ranch Kettle.

Travis

• WKC Ambassador
First Tri Tip
« Reply #22 on: January 20, 2017, 08:58:09 PM »
Looks good bud. Sounds like you learned a few things along the way as well. That's all part of it. Next time try running the initial temp around 275ish for the indirect part of the cook. Letting the coals come up to temp and settling in before putting the roast on is the most important part. Just like an oven, right. If the fam prefers well done, might want to consider throwing on another steak just for them and keeping the tri tip for yourself. [emoji6]
Keep up the good work.
@varekai "little bastard".... you crack me up brother [emoji23][emoji23]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

hawgheaven

• WKC Performer
    • Hawg Heaven Smokin' BBQ
« Reply #23 on: January 21, 2017, 04:41:02 AM »

When are they going to make the tatonka dust again? Never got a chance to try it. Anyone in DFW have a light dusting to spare?
Marty and Tanya are working with a new co-packer and hope to have some news soon... I hope so. I'm almost out of the stuff!
Multiple kettles and WSM's. I am not a collector, just a gatherer... and a sick bastard.

Vwbuggin64

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #24 on: January 23, 2017, 12:35:15 PM »
Those are perfect. Man, I have to go get a tri-tip to break in the K
Rollin coal

26" 2010 AD Code (Black), 22" 81 B (Faded Black), 22" 86 H (Black),91 N SJ (black), 18" 65 (Red), 12 AU Tostito SJ , 22" CU (Copper), 22” 2018 CB (Crimson),22” (Brown)Happy Cooker, Q2000 Charcoal, Weber Spirit, 22in Yellow, 18"WSM, Happy cooker SJ