Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Best pizzas yet - first cook with KP ProGrate/Tombstone  (Read 3669 times)

MikeRocksTheRed

• WKC Performer
    • The Kettle Cookers (facebook group)
Best pizzas yet - first cook with KP ProGrate/Tombstone
« on: January 08, 2017, 02:03:51 PM »
Killed some pizzas tonight!!! Added the ProGrate/tombstone option to my kettle pizza and it is awesome.  It makes it so easy to add more fuel not to mention the stone being flush with the opening.  I didn't end up using the basket that came with the prograte.  I just used my Weber baskets in a PacMan layout as if he was chomping towards the opening of the kettle pizza.  One full chimney of KBB plus a little more, let that get going then used pecan wood chunks and added more as needed.   Usually I use mesquite which burns a little hotter but I was out. 

Sauce on the red pizzas is San Marzano while tomatoes pulsed quickly in a blender.   White pizzas are EVOO with ricotta, fresh mozzarella, and mince garlic.  Big meat is dried salami, smaller is pepperoni.  White pizzas will be topped with arugula, a drizzle of EVOO and a squeeze of lemon juice.

Thermo on the kettle pizza was between 650 and pegged for all five pizzas.  Stone was between 540-600 depending on where I aimed the IR Thermo.

Dough was the Bobby Flay pizza dough recipe.  I finally had a break through tonight and was able to make a few round pizzas.  I've been struggling to stretch dough so it's round but seemed to have finally dialed it in on the last two.  Now that I finally think I know how to stretch the dough I might quarter my dough batches instead of cutting it into thirds.  I wouldn't mind a slightly thinner crust.

Just realized I didn't get a finished picture of the last white pizza.  Damn it!

Spongebob square pizza.  Lol

https://vimeo.com/198605075

Piped the ricotta onto this one with a ziplock bag.  Worked great!  Unfortunately this was the only pizza I didn't get an after picture of. It was the best one too.

https://vimeo.com/198605283

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club mobile app
« Last Edit: January 08, 2017, 02:09:35 PM by MikeRocksTheRed »
62-68 Avocado BAR-B-Q Kettle, Red ER SS Performer, Green DA SS Performer, Black EE three wheeler, 1 SJS, 1 Homer Simpson SJS,  AT Black 26er, 82 Kettle Gasser Deluxe, "A" code 18.5 MBH, M Code Tuck-n-Carry, P Code Go Anywhere, 2015 RANCH FREAKING KETTLE!!!!!!

MikeRocksTheRed

• WKC Performer
Re: Best pizzas yet - first cook with KP ProGrate/Tombstone
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2017, 02:21:02 PM »
The next add on will be the baking steel which I can tell will be another major improvement!

62-68 Avocado BAR-B-Q Kettle, Red ER SS Performer, Green DA SS Performer, Black EE three wheeler, 1 SJS, 1 Homer Simpson SJS,  AT Black 26er, 82 Kettle Gasser Deluxe, "A" code 18.5 MBH, M Code Tuck-n-Carry, P Code Go Anywhere, 2015 RANCH FREAKING KETTLE!!!!!!

kettlebb

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2017, 02:38:08 PM »
That's just fantastic! Saw flashing strobes in the video. Cops stop by for a pizza?

Looking for: Red MBH 26"(The Aristocrat), Chestnut-coppertone (The Estate), Glen-blue (The Imperial), and The Plainsman.

MikeRocksTheRed

• WKC Performer
« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2017, 03:13:07 PM »

That's just fantastic! Saw flashing strobes in the video. Cops stop by for a pizza?

lol. I think it was just the way the lighting was in slo-mo.

Nate

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2017, 03:17:23 PM »
Awesome pies! And great pics and vids! Makes a difference with the prograte and tombstone. Once you lower your ceiling, watch out!  8)

Davescprktl

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2017, 03:18:41 PM »
Killed it again!  Awesome cook!  Made some pies today with experimental no knead dough.  They were great but like Bobby Flay recipe better.  Getting better every time I cook.  Yours are looking better every time you post!
OKP Crimson, 22" H Code Brownie, SJS Lime, 22" CB Stacker, Red Q2200, Performer Deluxe CB slate blue

"If God didn't want us to eat animals, why did he make them out of meat?"  H. Simpson

Jason

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #6 on: January 08, 2017, 03:42:03 PM »
Oh yea...WTG!!!

Travis

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #7 on: January 08, 2017, 04:40:10 PM »
Dude... GREAT pies, pics, and fire!! You totally nailed that!

JDann24

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #8 on: January 08, 2017, 04:46:01 PM »
Wow, those pizzas look bad ass.
Looking for colored 18's and SJ's.

Mr.CPHo

• WKC Mod
« Reply #9 on: January 08, 2017, 05:03:04 PM »
Those pies look fan-friggin-tastic!  Cool video too.

captjoe06

• WKC Performer
    • Northeast BBQ
« Reply #10 on: January 08, 2017, 09:29:46 PM »
Yummy!

Sent from my iPad using Weber Kettle Club mobile app
Smokey Joe Black, Smokey Joe Lime Green, Original Kettle Premium Black,'92 Red OTS, Yellow Simpson's 22, 78 Red MBH, '80 Black MBH, '10 Brick Red Performer,'12 Grass Green Performer, '03 Blue SSP, '97 Blue SSP, 18 inch WSM

VAis4BBQers

• WKC Brave
« Reply #11 on: January 09, 2017, 05:42:14 AM »
Those look awesome. Question - What was your method of sliding the pizzas off the peel into the KP? Did you use the corn meal trick?
Crate n Barrel Grass Green - Target Copper - Blue OTG - 14 & 18 WSM

MikeRocksTheRed

• WKC Performer
« Reply #12 on: January 09, 2017, 06:41:07 AM »
Those look awesome. Question - What was your method of sliding the pizzas off the peel into the KP? Did you use the corn meal trick?

I usually use a very small amount of flour to rub down my peel then cornmeal for my main nonstick agent.  I have three peels so can make three pizza at once then have them ready to go one after another.  I haven't had one stick in a long time.  I do usually have to use my metal peel between pizzas to clean of the burned cornmeal.  I'll try to get a picture of a prepped peel on my next cook.  I'd guesstimate that I use a tablespoon of cornmeal if not a little bit more.

jaynik

• WKC Brave
« Reply #13 on: January 09, 2017, 04:18:03 PM »
Great work on getting great results!  Last time I used my kp it went well.  Honestly,  my switch to a wooden peel made a big difference in reducing stickage.  That and a ton of corn meal.  :-)

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk