Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Weber Stew  (Read 2868 times)

Geezer

• WKC Brave
Weber Stew
« on: January 05, 2017, 05:27:13 PM »
The other day, I assembled a stew in my cast iron pot and put on the grill with a snake around it.

About 3 hours low and slow, and Presto!, we have a stew that was awesome, to say the least.

JDann24

• WKC Ranger
Re: Weber Stew
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2017, 05:35:19 PM »
Looks great! What kind of Dutch oven is that?
Looking for colored 18's and SJ's.

Travis

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2017, 05:40:59 PM »
Oh man, that looks incredible! I got a venison backstrap that needs to be cooked up. That just got put on the menu. Thanks, man.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

varekai

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2017, 08:27:28 PM »
@Geezer , uh geezer, we're gonna need more info on this pot o goodness!
CGA,GGA, jumbo joe, 3-18" kettles,22" blue,green,yellow and 2 reds, 1-22" lid mod for pizza, a genesis silver,2 Red SS Performers,2 26ers,1 red, 1 chief and a Ranch Kettle.

Hybridtwin77

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2017, 09:03:52 PM »
Seconded.[emoji106]

Sent from my Star Fleet Communicator using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

Christopher
2016 MT

Davescprktl

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2017, 10:21:26 PM »
Seconded.[emoji106]

Yes please!  More info.  Looks fantastic!
OKP Crimson, 22" H Code Brownie, SJS Lime, 22" CB Stacker, Red Q2200, Performer Deluxe CB slate blue

"If God didn't want us to eat animals, why did he make them out of meat?"  H. Simpson

Geezer

• WKC Brave
« Reply #6 on: January 06, 2017, 02:40:17 AM »
It's a Lodge Dutch Oven and the stew is very simple to make and it turns out great every time.

I just cut up a beef roast into about 1 inch cubes, added potatoes, carrots, 1 bell pepper, 2 onions, salt and pepper, and 1/2 a bottle of V8 juice.  I should have used the whole bottle of V8, I did on the next one that I did and it was even better.  For those that like spicy stuff, you can add hotter peppers or spicy V8.  And, you can add or delete ingredients per your tastes.

Empty, the Dutch Oven is pretty heavy, loaded up, it's really heavy.  I placed my Vortex in center of the grill to give the grate some extra support.  I did a snake and kept the temp around 275 for 3 hours, stirring every hour.    With the lid on the Dutch Oven, the lid to the Weber wouldn't quite fit back on.  The Weber lid was hitting the handle on the Dutch Oven lid.  I just inverted the Dutch Oven lid and everything went together perfectly.  I don't think anyone will be disappointed if they try this stew.

Mr.CPHo

• WKC Mod
« Reply #7 on: January 06, 2017, 03:01:56 AM »
Looks fantastic, @geezer. 

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

HoosierKettle

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #8 on: January 06, 2017, 03:02:39 AM »
Looks great. I've got the same lodge pot so I'll have to give this a shot.

Hybridtwin77

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #9 on: January 06, 2017, 04:53:16 AM »
Sounds delicious. Going in the "to try" stack.

Christopher
2016 MT

Maineac

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #10 on: January 06, 2017, 08:22:45 AM »
Geezer, I just want to confirm that you used a 2qt bottle of V8.  Nice looking Dutch Oven and nicer looking stew.  Thanks.

- Dean
« Last Edit: January 06, 2017, 08:25:17 AM by Maineac »
Performer - Jumbo Joe - Smokey Joe Gold - Bayou Classic SS84
MAK 1 Star #184 - Bradley OBS #968,312 - Spirit E-310

varekai

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #11 on: January 06, 2017, 02:51:53 PM »
Might be hittin that this weekend. Weather is supposed to be cold and shitty. And I don't want to hear anything from you easterners about cold... here in Cali it's cold, for us!...lol

CGA,GGA, jumbo joe, 3-18" kettles,22" blue,green,yellow and 2 reds, 1-22" lid mod for pizza, a genesis silver,2 Red SS Performers,2 26ers,1 red, 1 chief and a Ranch Kettle.

Geezer

• WKC Brave
« Reply #12 on: January 06, 2017, 04:02:16 PM »
Geezer, I just want to confirm that you used a 2qt bottle of V8.  Nice looking Dutch Oven and nicer looking stew.  Thanks.

- Dean

Yeah, it was about a 2 quart bottle.  It will cook away and thicken up the stew with half a bottle.  We like a little more "gravy" in ours as we serve it over a bed of rice.  You can start with  half and add more during the cook if you think it needs more.  That's the nice thing about this stew, you can add, delete, or substitute ingredients to suit your own tastes.

greenweb

• WKC Performer
« Reply #13 on: January 07, 2017, 09:15:56 AM »
That looks great! A large CI dutch oven with legs sounds like a good investment.  Cooks like this, pot roast...etc. on it would be nice.

1ROW

• WKC Brave
« Reply #14 on: January 07, 2017, 09:51:24 AM »
That stew looks great @Geezer ! I love making soups and stews. Dutch oven on the grill is one of my favorite ways to cook them. Just did chicken wild rice the other day. Used the previous days roti chicken for the meat, collected the drippings, minus the fat, to add to the pot as well. Turned out great. My grandma makes the world's greatest soups (I'm biased). She taught me, always make a huge pot and freeze some for a rainy day!