Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Wsm beef ribs  (Read 3326 times)

HoosierKettle

• WKC Ambassador
Wsm beef ribs
« on: January 02, 2017, 01:45:26 PM »
Anyone cook without water pan?  I'm trying beef ribs and no water pan both for first time.

Open pit style[emoji41]. I'll keep an eye on things and put the pan in if it looks like I'm torching them.

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club mobile app
« Last Edit: January 02, 2017, 01:48:20 PM by HoosierKettle »

TheDude

• WKC Performer
Re: Wsm beef ribs
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2017, 01:49:43 PM »
That's how I did poultry, before I got a roti.
Still need a 22” yellow

HoosierKettle

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2017, 02:09:21 PM »

I haven't done poultry on the wsm yet.  good to know.  do they make an 18" roti?  that would be fun on this set up.

TheDude

• WKC Performer
« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2017, 02:19:27 PM »

I haven't done poultry on the wsm yet.  good to know.  do they make an 18" roti?  that would be fun on this set up.

Weber used to. Don't think they do anymore. Cajun Bandit does.
Still need a 22” yellow

HoosierKettle

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2017, 03:14:05 PM »
I've never had beef back ribs. These tasted like a ribeye steak which was fantastic. I wasn't expecting that. I was expecting a brisket flavor. I cooked between 275-300 for 1.5 hours to get to 195 it. They had amazing flavor but were a little tough. I'll try and slow it down next time.

HoosierKettle

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #5 on: January 02, 2017, 03:14:47 PM »

HoosierKettle

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #6 on: January 02, 2017, 03:15:48 PM »
These were not the super thick ones. Store didn't have them. Each 3 bone section was 1.5 lbs.

Travis

• WKC Ambassador
Wsm beef ribs
« Reply #7 on: January 02, 2017, 03:31:33 PM »
Reason they tasted like a ribeye steak is because that's where those are cut from. You normally don't find them with a bunch of meat on them because when the butcher is cutting them off the roast, they try to save the meat for the roast, not the ribs. All about the money on that one. That's why I like short ribs. They are cut from the short plate or chuck and are meaty. Here's a little more detailed explanation.

http://topribs.com/types-of-beef-ribs/

Yours look great. How did you like running it without the pan?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

HoosierKettle

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #8 on: January 02, 2017, 03:54:36 PM »

Reason they tasted like a ribeye steak is because that's where those are cut from. You normally don't find them with a bunch of meat on them because when the butcher is cutting them off the roast, they try to save the meat for the roast, not the ribs. All about the money on that one. That's why I like short ribs. They are cut from the short plate or chuck and are meaty. Here's a little more detailed explanation.

http://topribs.com/types-of-beef-ribs/

Yours look great. How did you like running it without the pan?

Thanks for the link. That helps a lot. I was surprised at running without the pan. The underside of the ribs didn't char at all which was what I was worried about. Also, I put a full lit chimney of kbb in the bottom and had 2 bottom vent closed, 1 half open, top vent half open and ran at a steady 275.  Works really well and I liked the smell of the steak smoke from dripping in the coals.

I still couldn't believe the steak flavor. I had no idea.

Darko

• WKC Performer
« Reply #9 on: January 03, 2017, 06:24:10 AM »
Going with what @Travis  says, that's why I don't do beef ribs very often. There just isn't a lot of meat there typically. I find that in my area the ribs are expensive for the amount of meat that is there. Last batch I had was a few months ago, and it was on sale. I paid 13 bucks for a 6 bone rack with a decent amount of meat. That was the first time in about 3 yrs that I got some beef ribs... but they were delicious.

Travis

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #10 on: January 03, 2017, 04:37:23 PM »
@HoosierKettle
Came back to this thread. Man, I bet the drippings on them coals smelled awesome.

HoosierKettle

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #11 on: January 04, 2017, 03:01:42 AM »

@HoosierKettle
Came back to this thread. Man, I bet the drippings on them coals smelled awesome.

It did.  The first hour I smelled the hickory more and second hour smelled the steak more. It was fun to experiment a little. Looking forward to trying some other stuff that way. I was planning on getting a roti for the 22 kettle but now I'm a little tempted to get one for the 18 wsm. Not sure?  Anyone like using the roti in the wsm?

HoosierKettle

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #12 on: January 04, 2017, 03:05:48 AM »

Going with what @Travis  says, that's why I don't do beef ribs very often. There just isn't a lot of meat there typically. I find that in my area the ribs are expensive for the amount of meat that is there. Last batch I had was a few months ago, and it was on sale. I paid 13 bucks for a 6 bone rack with a decent amount of meat. That was the first time in about 3 yrs that I got some beef ribs... but they were delicious.

Those three racks cost $18 and the 4 of us ate them and had no leftovers. So not a great bargain but not too bad to give it a try. Probably won't be doing them all the time especially since the family says they like pork ribs better. I liked these more than the rest of the family. My son said he didn't like them that much but was hard to tell since he ate most of them [emoji16]

Travis

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #13 on: January 08, 2017, 07:59:59 PM »
Hey Hoosier. This popped up on Y\T tonight. Thought you might like. I did, for sure.
https://youtu.be/CIzTewSFr2I

HoosierKettle

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #14 on: January 09, 2017, 04:35:49 AM »

Hey Hoosier. This popped up on Y\T tonight. Thought you might like. I did, for sure.
https://youtu.be/CIzTewSFr2I

Thanks man. I will be on the lookout for some short ribs. I haven't seen them in my local stores. I wonder if that's something I can ask for at the meat counter?