Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: About to restore my SS Performer: Finished!  (Read 8437 times)

Foster Dahlet

• WKC Ranger
Re: About to restore my SS Performer
« Reply #15 on: January 03, 2017, 05:08:02 PM »
OK.  I am deep into this now...spent parts of the last 3 days scraping the bowl and lid.  I found 5 holes.  All are small and 2 are easily plugged with small screws.  3 are a little more complex because of the location.  2 small holes are right under the welds of the handle for the lid...one on each side.  The other one is behind one of the straps that holds the charcoal grate.  Putting a washer & nut there would likely alter the strap. 

Suggestions on holes under handle and behind strap, please.

Also, there is a grey discoloration on the lid.  Scraping and scrubbing have made no difference.  I assume that this is simply heat related and will not change.  Correct?

Pictures are in this link.  Camera is not that great, but will show what is needed.

https://goo.gl/photos/U6TPrmXWWCx8ggyZ7

Anyone?..... Anyone?....... Bueller?..... Bueller?
I like my Kettles like my coffee....strong and black.

2019 Black 26" OKP; 2015 Black 22" OKP; 2004 Black SJP; mid 70's Statesman; mid 70's Gourmet, 2017 Black CGA; 2000 Black GGA;

kettlebb

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #16 on: January 03, 2017, 05:44:46 PM »
Sorry bud, someone here has an answer for you but it ain't me.

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club mobile app
Looking for: Red MBH 26"(The Aristocrat), Chestnut-coppertone (The Estate), Glen-blue (The Imperial), and The Plainsman.

Darko

• WKC Performer
« Reply #17 on: January 03, 2017, 06:18:07 PM »
There's nothing you can do with the discoloration.  You'll have to live with it. As for the holes, you have several options depending on how you want it to look, and depending on how good the metal is. Try using self tapping metal screws first, if the metal is good. If it's all rusty, try JB weld or something similar. What you need to do is build up enough metal to make it structurally sound. It's not an easy thing to do, but it is doable.

Darko

• WKC Performer
« Reply #18 on: January 03, 2017, 06:23:56 PM »
Thinking again, What about just ordering a new bowl?

Foster Dahlet

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #19 on: January 03, 2017, 07:44:25 PM »

I probably should, but then I'd have to get new ash catcher assembly, and the two of them combined are out of my budget right now, especially after Christmas. 

The rest of the metal is pretty good. There is some damage where I banked the coals, but it is not catastrophic.  The holes are all small, and I'd wouldn't have noticed before I scraped gunk and rust out of the bowl.  It is simply the location of some of the holes that is problematic. 

I am thinking of drilling into the flaps of the handles, screw in from the top, putting a washer and nut on the inside of the lid, which will cover the tiny holes and hopefully slow down future damage.  I might do the same thing for the hole behind the strap, but put the washer and nut on the outside, so there is no protrusion pushing up the strap and messing with the charcoal grate.  It won't be perfect, but it is on a side of the grill that no one sees from the exterior.  With the other two holes, I was planning to screw from the outside with washer and nut on the inside.  I could paint the screws with high heat paint before putting them in.  Is that ridiculous?  I haven't done this before, so I have no idea what I am doing, really.

2019 Black 26" OKP; 2015 Black 22" OKP; 2004 Black SJP; mid 70's Statesman; mid 70's Gourmet, 2017 Black CGA; 2000 Black GGA;

pbe gummi bear

• WKC Mod
« Reply #20 on: January 03, 2017, 07:53:01 PM »

I probably should, but then I'd have to get new ash catcher assembly, and the two of them combined are out of my budget right now, especially after Christmas. 

The rest of the metal is pretty good. There is some damage where I banked the coals, but it is not catastrophic.  The holes are all small, and I'd wouldn't have noticed before I scraped gunk and rust out of the bowl.  It is simply the location of some of the holes that is problematic. 

I am thinking of drilling into the flaps of the handles, screw in from the top, putting a washer and nut on the inside of the lid, which will cover the tiny holes and hopefully slow down future damage.  I might do the same thing for the hole behind the strap, but put the washer and nut on the outside, so there is no protrusion pushing up the strap and messing with the charcoal grate.  It won't be perfect, but it is on a side of the grill that no one sees from the exterior.  With the other two holes, I was planning to screw from the outside with washer and nut on the inside.  I could paint the screws with high heat paint before putting them in.  Is that ridiculous?  I haven't done this before, so I have no idea what I am doing, really.

I wouldn't worry about the holes under the lid handle. I would just remove as much rust as possible and treat that area with oil or something to slow the onset of rust. Are you having temp control or snuffing issues?
"Have you hugged your Weber today?"
Check out WKC on Facebook:
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Weber-Kettle-Club/521728011229791

Foster Dahlet

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #21 on: January 03, 2017, 08:07:46 PM »

I wouldn't worry about the holes under the lid handle. I would just remove as much rust as possible and treat that area with oil or something to slow the onset of rust. Are you having temp control or snuffing issues?

I did not have temp control issues. The holes were plugged with carbon and the aluminum thermometer holder sits over top over the holes too.  I only uncovered it all when I removed the thermometer holder and scraped the lid.  I do worry about the holes getting larger, however. 

Vwbuggin64

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #22 on: January 03, 2017, 08:11:18 PM »
Ok, you have several options for those holes.

1. Weld them up. Grind them and all around and weld.
2. Small sheet metal screws on some and patch panels on the others.
3. Find a used kettle in your area and buy that one. Then mod it so it will accept the new ash pan you have
Rollin coal

26" 2010 AD Code (Black), 22" 81 B (Faded Black), 22" 86 H (Black),91 N SJ (black), 18" 65 (Red), 12 AU Tostito SJ , 22" CU (Copper), 22” 2018 CB (Crimson),22” (Brown)Happy Cooker, Q2000 Charcoal, Weber Spirit, 22in Yellow, 18"WSM, Happy cooker SJ

Foster Dahlet

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #23 on: January 03, 2017, 08:20:32 PM »
Ok, you have several options for those holes.

1. Weld them up. Grind them and all around and weld.
2. Small sheet metal screws on some and patch panels on the others.
3. Find a used kettle in your area and buy that one. Then mod it so it will accept the new ash pan you have

Option two is the one that interests me the most, because I have no welding experience or tools.  I have been on the lookout for used performers.  If I find one, I can go with option three.  But, option two is something I can do this weekend.  Where can I find info on option two, in regards to patch panels?

Vwbuggin64

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #24 on: January 03, 2017, 08:28:11 PM »
Trust me, you don't need welding skills. Just the drive to put trigger to metal and pull hoping your melted flux fills in the hole.

As far as some patch panels you can find any 14 gauge sheets metal and screw it on the outside. Then paint it and you are good to go
Rollin coal

26" 2010 AD Code (Black), 22" 81 B (Faded Black), 22" 86 H (Black),91 N SJ (black), 18" 65 (Red), 12 AU Tostito SJ , 22" CU (Copper), 22” 2018 CB (Crimson),22” (Brown)Happy Cooker, Q2000 Charcoal, Weber Spirit, 22in Yellow, 18"WSM, Happy cooker SJ

Darko

• WKC Performer
« Reply #25 on: January 03, 2017, 08:33:10 PM »
Looking at the pics... The holes don't look too bad. Just cook with it for now, and at some point in the future when the budget allows, replace the bowl.

SteveZ

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #26 on: January 04, 2017, 04:24:30 AM »
Take a deep breath. Not every restores are easy. Looks like your kettle has taken some high heat. I just looked at all of your pics in detail. That kettle will probably never be a looker again. I think the frame and the rest will turn out nice. I would concentrate on the cart, quick fix what you can on the bowl. Watch craigslist, letgo, offerup, facebook marketplace for a performer. If you feel you could engineer it, you could pick up an old mastertouch, or 22 in one touch gold and mod it for the gas start and mounting brackets. I would also use this community. Put out what parts your looking for in your area. There are a lot of guys that have parts stockpiled here. I know that Performers got another 20 years left in her!

Steve
SSP Caribique, Black 2nd Generation Performer, 2018 Green Performer, 1970 MBH 26 Black (Fleetwood) with Roti, 1965 Thumb Screw 49er, (2) Black 18 OTG, 2017 Black Master Touch, Black Genesis Silver B.  E code 14 WSM, AH code 18 WSM, AH code 22 WSM,

Foster Dahlet

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #27 on: January 04, 2017, 07:02:20 AM »
Take a deep breath. Not every restores are easy. Looks like your kettle has taken some high heat. I just looked at all of your pics in detail. That kettle will probably never be a looker again. I think the frame and the rest will turn out nice. I would concentrate on the cart, quick fix what you can on the bowl. Watch craigslist, letgo, offerup, facebook marketplace for a performer. If you feel you could engineer it, you could pick up an old mastertouch, or 22 in one touch gold and mod it for the gas start and mounting brackets. I would also use this community. Put out what parts your looking for in your area. There are a lot of guys that have parts stockpiled here. I know that Performers got another 20 years left in her!

Steve

Thank you Steve, for the encouragement.  I agree, that kettle is not going to be a looker.  If I can get more years from it as a cooker, that would make me happy. 

MikeRocksTheRed

• WKC Performer
    • The Kettle Cookers (facebook group)
« Reply #28 on: January 05, 2017, 12:09:57 PM »
Is it me or does it look like the handle straps area where it meets the lid are yellow?  Looks like someone already did something to fix a problem there.  It might get hairy trying to mess with that area too much.  My handle on my SSP popped off.  I bought it used so I have no clue what the previous owner or owners did to cause it to loosen up.  I just drilled through the handle and lid then attached the handle with SS screws.  No washer on the outside so it wouldn't be so obvious then a really big washer on the underside of the lid and then wings nuts so that I could tight them up after a few cooks really easily.  I figured heat would cause them to loosen and it did.  I have to tighten then every once in awhile and since I don't need tools it makes it nice and easy.  I also figured finger tightening would prevent me from damaging anything.

http://weberkettleclub.com/forums/weber-kettles-accessories/my-1st-rescue-1991-ss-performer-red/msg212818/#msg212818
62-68 Avocado BAR-B-Q Kettle, Red ER SS Performer, Green DA SS Performer, Black EE three wheeler, 1 SJS, 1 Homer Simpson SJS,  AT Black 26er, 82 Kettle Gasser Deluxe, "A" code 18.5 MBH, M Code Tuck-n-Carry, P Code Go Anywhere, 2015 RANCH FREAKING KETTLE!!!!!!

Foster Dahlet

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #29 on: January 05, 2017, 07:01:19 PM »
Is it me or does it look like the handle straps area where it meets the lid are yellow?  Looks like someone already did something to fix a problem there.  It might get hairy trying to mess with that area too much.  My handle on my SSP popped off.  I bought it used so I have no clue what the previous owner or owners did to cause it to loosen up.  I just drilled through the handle and lid then attached the handle with SS screws.  No washer on the outside so it wouldn't be so obvious then a really big washer on the underside of the lid and then wings nuts so that I could tight them up after a few cooks really easily.  I figured heat would cause them to loosen and it did.  I have to tighten then every once in awhile and since I don't need tools it makes it nice and easy.  I also figured finger tightening would prevent me from damaging anything.

http://weberkettleclub.com/forums/weber-kettles-accessories/my-1st-rescue-1991-ss-performer-red/msg212818/#msg212818

I have been the only owner of this performer; it is a 2002.   The yellow is what is left of the rust under the handle.  It looks worse in the picture than it does to the naked eye. 

The weld between the lid and handle is rusting out and some of that rust has dislodged, leaving a little gap between the lid and part of the handle.  The rest of the handle is still welded.  Where the rust dislodged, there are small holes, about the with of a pushpin.  My original plan was to do exactly as you suggested.  Drill through the handle, put washer and nut under the lid, to cover the hole and prevent the handle from coming completely undone.  Gummi Bear suggested I leave it alone, other than the rust. 

I am going to plug the three small holes in the bowl, all about 1/16 inch in size, with sheet metal screws...no nuts or washers.  There were a variety of opinions on what to do about them, but no consensus. 

Other than the holes, the lid and bowl are pretty much finished.  I am almost done with the ash catcher assembly too.  I'm debating whether to make the interior of the catcher like new, or leave it stained.  The rest of the catcher is almost spotless, as is the ring that holds it.  I took off all the rust to the ash catcher handle and will paint it black to inhibit future rust. 

I hope to disassemble the frame this weekend and rebuild it.  Will replace star nuts, and figure out what is going on at the top joints.  After that, more rust removal and then some touch up painting.  I am sure I will have more questions.