Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: First time cheese smoke...  (Read 1476 times)

thebigdawg77

• WKC Brave
First time cheese smoke...
« on: December 30, 2016, 03:03:14 PM »
My buddy has smoked some in an old Brinkmann with an AmazeN pellet smoker. I have been looking at ways to do it in the SSP. Trying this out tonight. Two briquettes lit with hickory chunk. Couple of briquettes on standby.

The layout...

Gonna give it 3 hours or so. Temp holding at about 75.

Wish me luck .

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk

kettlebb

• WKC Ambassador
Re: First time cheese smoke...
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2016, 03:20:55 PM »
Good luck! I'll be following this one.

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club mobile app
Looking for: Red MBH 26"(The Aristocrat), Chestnut-coppertone (The Estate), Glen-blue (The Imperial), and The Plainsman.

Davescprktl

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2016, 03:27:19 PM »
It's a fun time!  Let us know how it turns out.  Curious how you will set it up.
OKP Crimson, 22" H Code Brownie, SJS Lime, 22" CB Stacker, Red Q2200, Performer Deluxe CB slate blue

"If God didn't want us to eat animals, why did he make them out of meat?"  H. Simpson

Travis

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2016, 03:30:42 PM »
Hey! Glad to see ya @thebigdawg77 ! Looking forward to the pics!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

thebigdawg77

• WKC Brave
« Reply #4 on: December 30, 2016, 03:36:23 PM »
So here is the setup. A little over 30 minutes in...

Cheese is sitting on a cake cooling rack.
I have fire bricks, 2 on bottom, 1 on top to direct heat up towards the top damper.

Rolling smoke...

thebigdawg77

• WKC Brave
« Reply #5 on: December 30, 2016, 06:37:53 PM »
Finished product...

Smells delectable, gonna be hard to wait...

1lb whole milk mozzarella
1lb age reserved cheddar
1/2lb sharp cheddar
1/2lb Vermont white cheddar
1/2lb Colbyjack
1/2lb pepperjack

In all... 4lbs of cheesy goodness tempting me.

What a great problem to have. [emoji41]

thebigdawg77

• WKC Brave
« Reply #6 on: December 30, 2016, 06:42:06 PM »
Lessons learned...

Light one briquette and feed it the wood chunks. The chunks will provide the smoke without much worry of over heating.

Probably going to wish I had smoked longer... But that is to be determined.

When it is that cold outside to back in and let the smoker do its job.

What a way to learn.

WNC

• WKC Performer
« Reply #7 on: December 30, 2016, 07:20:49 PM »
Looks great, like the idea of your set up too
Might have to try this!

Mr.CPHo

• WKC Mod
« Reply #8 on: December 31, 2016, 04:25:27 AM »
@thebigdawg77, nice work there.  Glad to see you're still around. 

kettlebb

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #9 on: December 31, 2016, 04:50:58 AM »
Pair all that with some summer sausage and deer sausage and that's a nice snack. Looks good.

Looking for: Red MBH 26"(The Aristocrat), Chestnut-coppertone (The Estate), Glen-blue (The Imperial), and The Plainsman.

thebigdawg77

• WKC Brave
« Reply #10 on: January 02, 2017, 06:51:11 AM »
Ok... So I got a little impatient. Cooked a big pot of chili, one of my specialties, and decided some of the smoked pepperjack might be good in it... WOW!!!

I NEED TO PUT THIS AWAY BEFORE IT IS ALL GONE.

Planning an Italian sausage with marinara and smoked mozzarella.

Also wanting to do a mac and cheese with a touch of the smoked cheddar.

So many ideas.....

Sent from my RCT6203W46 using Tapatalk

HoosierKettle

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #11 on: January 02, 2017, 06:56:18 AM »
I'll bet that was good. I've never smoked cheese but I do make smoked Mac And cheese. It absorbs more than enough smoke in one hour. Good stuff

MikeRocksTheRed

• WKC Performer
    • The Kettle Cookers (facebook group)
« Reply #12 on: January 04, 2017, 03:24:54 PM »
Nice smoke @thebigdawg77!  How long did you smoke it?  I think there is nothing wrong with using this cheese in shredded form right after smoking it....it's sliced that you need to let it mellow otherwise all of the smoke is at the outside of the cheese.  You'll have to let me know what your favorite cheese it once you've tried them all.  Pepper jack is my favorite so far.
62-68 Avocado BAR-B-Q Kettle, Red ER SS Performer, Green DA SS Performer, Black EE three wheeler, 1 SJS, 1 Homer Simpson SJS,  AT Black 26er, 82 Kettle Gasser Deluxe, "A" code 18.5 MBH, M Code Tuck-n-Carry, P Code Go Anywhere, 2015 RANCH FREAKING KETTLE!!!!!!

thebigdawg77

• WKC Brave
« Reply #13 on: January 04, 2017, 03:55:43 PM »
Nice smoke @thebigdawg77!  How long did you smoke it?  I think there is nothing wrong with using this cheese in shredded form right after smoking it....it's sliced that you need to let it mellow otherwise all of the smoke is at the outside of the cheese.  You'll have to let me know what your favorite cheese it once you've tried them all.  Pepper jack is my favorite so far.
Just sliced up some of the pepper jack and put it on some beef sausage I did up on the indoor flattop. SPECTACULAR!

Smoked for 3 1/2 hours. Pepperjack and Colbyjack took the smoke real well. Aged cheddar was a little smokier, definitely needs to mellow out. Mozzarella could have taken at least an hour more.

Overall a great experience.

MikeRocksTheRed

• WKC Performer
    • The Kettle Cookers (facebook group)
« Reply #14 on: January 04, 2017, 04:13:05 PM »
Just sliced up some of the pepper jack and put it on some beef sausage I did up on the indoor flattop. SPECTACULAR!

Smoked for 3 1/2 hours. Pepperjack and Colbyjack took the smoke real well. Aged cheddar was a little smokier, definitely needs to mellow out. Mozzarella could have taken at least an hour more.

Overall a great experience.

Awesome!!!  I usually do mine 5-6 hours, but I think my amazen tube doesn't put out quite as much smoke as using a few coals and then chips or chunks on top of it. 

I can't keep my cheese in stock....everyone who has tried it wants as much of it as I can send them.  I have 2 big bags of cheese totalling 15 pounds in my fridge I need to individually seal up.  I got lazy at the end of my last cheese smoke and put divided up the cheese into 2 big ass bags and sealed them until I can get around to sealing them individually.  It takes up a lot less space this way too.
62-68 Avocado BAR-B-Q Kettle, Red ER SS Performer, Green DA SS Performer, Black EE three wheeler, 1 SJS, 1 Homer Simpson SJS,  AT Black 26er, 82 Kettle Gasser Deluxe, "A" code 18.5 MBH, M Code Tuck-n-Carry, P Code Go Anywhere, 2015 RANCH FREAKING KETTLE!!!!!!