Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: What is the official name of this model?  (Read 2518 times)

captjoe06

• WKC Performer
    • Northeast BBQ
What is the official name of this model?
« on: December 29, 2016, 02:44:25 AM »

I'm curious how the lid system works.  Guessing that it just slides back, but why would the rollers be in the front?
Smokey Joe Black, Smokey Joe Lime Green, Original Kettle Premium Black,'92 Red OTS, Yellow Simpson's 22, 78 Red MBH, '80 Black MBH, '10 Brick Red Performer,'12 Grass Green Performer, '03 Blue SSP, '97 Blue SSP, 18 inch WSM

56MPG

• WKC Ranger
Re: What is the official name of this model?
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2016, 02:56:53 AM »
It's a Platinum. Made for only a short while. The lid is backasswords in this pic. The rollers should be in back. It actually works quite well, and unless you can't stand the vent on top rather than offset, it's a nice cooker. I passed on a $80 NIB unit a couple years ago and still wish I had pulled the trigger. I'm sure @zavod44 would be happy to make you a nice wood handle.

FYI - there's a NIB cover on CL here in Baltimore $30.   http://baltimore.craigslist.org/for/5932901287.html   maybe someone can agent - I'm not close enough.
« Last Edit: December 29, 2016, 02:59:41 AM by 56MPG »
Retired

bear

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2016, 03:00:56 AM »
Pretty sure that's a platinum, was only offered for 1 year or so.

Looks like the lid is on backwards (rotate 108° for correct orientation)

captjoe06

• WKC Performer
    • Northeast BBQ
« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2016, 03:17:35 AM »
So basically you'd have to unbolt the bowl and turn it around to right it.  That shouldn't be a huge deal.
Smokey Joe Black, Smokey Joe Lime Green, Original Kettle Premium Black,'92 Red OTS, Yellow Simpson's 22, 78 Red MBH, '80 Black MBH, '10 Brick Red Performer,'12 Grass Green Performer, '03 Blue SSP, '97 Blue SSP, 18 inch WSM

captjoe06

• WKC Performer
    • Northeast BBQ
« Reply #4 on: December 29, 2016, 03:27:24 AM »
It's funny in this video from a Weber retailer they installed it improperly as well-
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=korBnCu2IQA

Scott Zee

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #5 on: December 29, 2016, 04:44:33 AM »
I like the Gen1 One Touch Platinums much better, not sure why Weber changed styles.
drink a little drink, smoke a little smoke    8)
It's not just a grill, it's a WEBER

56MPG

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #6 on: December 29, 2016, 04:46:06 AM »
Not assembled wrong, just turned around. Here's one I rehabbed on vacation this summer. Wheels left, lid handle facing front. (and yes, that bowl is hiding a chimney-size China syndrome on the side table = what not to do. :o)

I'm guessing they didn't want the guy in the video in front of the grill blocking the shot, so he was backhanding the lid from behind and they didn't bother to turn the grill around - not an easy way to do it.
Retired

zavod44

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #7 on: December 29, 2016, 05:41:57 AM »
Yes the picture it taken from the back, unless you just need to have the wheels on the right

Sent from my Moto Z force Droid

Vintage Weber Grill raconteur and bon vivant.....and definitely Sir Agent X

CharliefromLI

• WKC Ranger
    • Long Island Weber Club
« Reply #8 on: December 29, 2016, 05:46:06 AM »

I like the Gen1 One Touch Platinums much better, not sure why Weber changed styles.

My guess:

Once they re-introduced the non gas assist performer that style became redundant, and I bet there was market that some buyers prefer tables on both sides like most gas grills.

It's definitely on of the best looking grills. I know the center top vent is not ideal for indirect cooks

Sent from my iPad using Weber Kettle Club mobile app
Starting LineUp: Summit Charcoal Grilling Center, Ranch Kettle, Genesis E310, SJ Gold MiniWSM, the JETTLE,
Alumni: Performer Dlx, 22.5" WSM, 26" OTG, 18.5" WSM, 22" OTP

Craig

• WKC Mod
« Reply #9 on: December 29, 2016, 06:54:28 AM »
One Touch Platinum 2010-2012 model.

pbe gummi bear

• WKC Mod
« Reply #10 on: December 29, 2016, 10:16:41 AM »

My guess is that they wanted a premium table'd grill with a smaller box. The bumblebee platinum will pack much better than the single side table. Weber also conracted out the industrial design on that grill so they were probably tasked to make something more radical.
"Have you hugged your Weber today?"
Check out WKC on Facebook:
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Weber-Kettle-Club/521728011229791

1ROW

• WKC Brave
« Reply #11 on: December 29, 2016, 03:07:01 PM »
I always thought that was a cool looking grill. Almost got one when I was shopping for my first kettle but then opted for the cheaper ots. Still kinda wish I'd have gotten one. I always refer to it as the Saturn grill.

LightningBoldtz

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #12 on: December 29, 2016, 04:36:17 PM »
I had one for a while and liked it.....
I am not a collector, but I do have a small collection.
"You can have everything in life you want if you will just help enough other people get what they want"
8 MBH, 2 WoodDale, a SCG, and other stuff, including Pellet grills.

Cellar2ful

« Reply #13 on: December 29, 2016, 05:42:18 PM »

This was a DE Code (2009) that I picked up, detailed and resold.  I never cooked on it but really liked the way the lid rolled back into the full open position.  You did not have to lift the lid at all.  Just pushed it backwards and upwards and it rolled back into a position like the brand new MT lid's open.  And that was in 2009 mind you that they had lids that would open fully.

« Last Edit: December 29, 2016, 05:47:02 PM by Cellar2ful »
"Chasing Classic Kettles"

charred

• WKC Performer
« Reply #14 on: December 29, 2016, 06:27:27 PM »
I like mine. They're very stable, plenty of work space, easy to move around on any surface, the lid setup works well and the center vent doesn't bother me.

And it came in maroon.
hopelessly, helplessly, happily addicted to a shipload of Webers