Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Why did Weber move the damper?  (Read 2561 times)

mcgolden

• WKC Ranger
Why did Weber move the damper?
« on: December 20, 2016, 01:51:24 PM »
Sorry if anyone has posted on this but I couldn't find anything on it.  Does anyone know why Weber moved the damper from being on the right side of the lid to now being opposite the temp gauge?  To me it doesn't make sense.  If you're smoking you usually want the damper opposite the coals, but that would put the temp gauge right over the coals, which is useless.  Maybe I'm missing something.
« Last Edit: December 20, 2016, 01:59:19 PM by mcgolden »

captjoe06

• WKC Performer
    • Northeast BBQ
Re: Why did Weber move the damper?
« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2016, 02:33:04 PM »
Sorry if anyone has posted on this but I couldn't find anything on it.  Does anyone know why Weber moved the damper from being on the right side of the lid to now being opposite the temp gauge?  To me it doesn't make sense.  If you're smoking you usually want the damper opposite the coals, but that would put the temp gauge right over the coals, which is useless.  Maybe I'm missing something.
There isn't a kettle in my arsenal that I use the lid therm.  If I need the temp I use the Maverick
Smokey Joe Black, Smokey Joe Lime Green, Original Kettle Premium Black,'92 Red OTS, Yellow Simpson's 22, 78 Red MBH, '80 Black MBH, '10 Brick Red Performer,'12 Grass Green Performer, '03 Blue SSP, '97 Blue SSP, 18 inch WSM

mrgoodbar67

• WKC Brave
« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2016, 03:15:55 PM »
exactly what captjoe06 said.

The lid therm is useless for grilling and BBQing because it measures the ambient temp near the therm NOT the temp of the food or even the area near the grate and food. Not to mention the issues you mention.

I use my iGrill and probes for food temps, ambient temp near the grate, grilling temps and smoking temps.

I think the lid temp is just for looks and sales.
-Custon SS 1998 Performer- with mods inspired by Idahawk, Winz, Zavod44 and a bunch of you here.
- Jumbo Joe with smoker mods

AZ Monsoon

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #3 on: December 20, 2016, 03:34:07 PM »
My lid thermometer works great. When it reads 400, I'm at 350 at the grate.

swamprb

• WKC Performer
« Reply #4 on: December 20, 2016, 03:49:30 PM »
That was the day Mike Rowe from Dirty Jobs was at the plant. No going back now - its in syndication!
I cook on: Backwoods Gater, Lang 36, Hunsaker Smokers, Pellet Pro 22" WSM, BGE's, WSM's, Cajun Bandits, PK Grills, Drum Smokers, Genesis Silver C, Weber Q's, Cookshack 008, Little Chief, La Caja China #2, Lodge Sportsman...oh yeah! Weber Kettles! Kamado restoration and pit modification hack!

HoosierKettle

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #5 on: December 20, 2016, 03:58:17 PM »

My lid thermometer works great. When it reads 400, I'm at 350 at the grate.

Agree

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

kettlebb

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #6 on: December 20, 2016, 05:30:59 PM »
I think the lid thermometer isn't totally useless. I've noticed on longer cooks that the lid thermometer comes close to matching the grate temp on the Maverick. For normal grilling the thermometer is about 50 degrees higher

Looking for: Red MBH 26"(The Aristocrat), Chestnut-coppertone (The Estate), Glen-blue (The Imperial), and The Plainsman.

HoosierKettle

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #7 on: December 21, 2016, 03:30:29 AM »
I like lid thermometers. They give a decent idea and fussing around with wires and thermometers takes the fun out of it for me. I will leave a meat thermometer in the last half of a cook on large cuts and use an instant read when needed.

TD

• WKC Brave
« Reply #8 on: December 21, 2016, 09:29:47 AM »
Not only did they move the damper, the turned the dang handle 90 degrees! That's my biggest gripe. But I agree the old arrangement was better. I think they moved things to accommodate the larger lid bale on the Performers. I was going to get rid of my lid bales until I discovered that a lid with a hook hangs perfectly out of the way on one. Best of both worlds. Thinking about a making a thermometer access cover to use in place of the installed thermometer. Not a fan of the larger lid bale.
« Last Edit: December 21, 2016, 09:39:35 AM by TD »

Davescprktl

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #9 on: December 21, 2016, 04:08:48 PM »
Never trusted a lid thermo.  They could be off from 50 to 100 degrees.  I use my Maverick or most of the time I will use my trusty oven thermometer.
OKP Crimson, 22" H Code Brownie, SJS Lime, 22" CB Stacker, Red Q2200, Performer Deluxe CB slate blue

"If God didn't want us to eat animals, why did he make them out of meat?"  H. Simpson

HoosierKettle

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #10 on: December 21, 2016, 04:13:56 PM »

Not only did they move the damper, the turned the dang handle 90 degrees! That's my biggest gripe. But I agree the old arrangement was better. I think they moved things to accommodate the larger lid bale on the Performers. I was going to get rid of my lid bales until I discovered that a lid with a hook hangs perfectly out of the way on one. Best of both worlds. Thinking about a making a thermometer access cover to use in place of the installed thermometer. Not a fan of the larger lid bale.

90 degrees from what?  The lid hanger?

TD

• WKC Brave
« Reply #11 on: December 21, 2016, 04:31:46 PM »
The welded handles  were inline with the damper (and the hook), taco handles are crosswise to it. On the 22 lid it just feels right the old way. Also stronger that way when holding the weight of the lid to hang it on the hook.  The 18 lid handles were crosswise but those lids aren't as big and heavy. Side flex on taco handles could lead to cracked porcelain, so be careful how you handle them. Guess its just group theory as to what moved where.

Darko

• WKC Performer
« Reply #12 on: December 21, 2016, 04:31:54 PM »
I for one was happy that the therm was moved opposite the vent.

Now, when I grill indirect, I can have the baskets on each side with the food in the middle, and have the therm not over the coals, and the vent not over the direct heat. Personally I never liked the way it was before.

HoosierKettle

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #13 on: December 21, 2016, 04:43:20 PM »

The welded handles  were inline with the damper (and the hook), taco handles are crosswise to it. On the 22 lid it just feels right the old way. Also stronger that way when holding the weight of the lid to hang it on the hook.  The 18 lid handles were crosswise but those lids aren't as big and heavy. Side flex on taco handles could lead to cracked porcelain, so be careful how you handle them. Guess its just group theory as to what moved where.

Dang, I was afraid that's what you meant. Trying to hang the lid with the handle that way on a 22 would suck.

HoosierKettle

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #14 on: December 21, 2016, 04:44:44 PM »
That's all I needed to hear. I will have to buy whatever upgrades I need for my old kettles. I've written off new 22's