Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Performer ss restoration  (Read 2104 times)

Troy1620

• Smokey Joe
Performer ss restoration
« on: December 16, 2016, 06:31:53 AM »
Hey everyone. Last year i picked up a redhead performer ss on cl. Everything works great and no rust,  it just needed a good cleaning. However the stainless steel table has some black build up that just wont come off. There must be some product that works because i have seen some before and after pics where the stainless looks worse than mine, then after restoration looks brand new. Steel wool maybe? Any tips would be great.

Sent from my SM-G928P using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

kettlebb

• WKC Ambassador
Re: Performer ss restoration
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2016, 06:46:14 AM »
The whole thing is ruined, just send it to me for disposal! Lol. Nice looking SSP! I think I remember someone here saying Mr. Clean magic eraser? Not 100% on that though.

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club mobile app
Looking for: Red MBH 26"(The Aristocrat), Chestnut-coppertone (The Estate), Glen-blue (The Imperial), and The Plainsman.

Darko

• WKC Performer
« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2016, 07:19:33 AM »
@Troy1620 ;Can you give us a better picture of the buildup

eLLWOODgGLEN

• WKC Brave
« Reply #3 on: December 16, 2016, 07:22:11 AM »
For my stainless I used Blue Magic Metal Polish Cream and a microfiber rag. Its gentle enough it won't make new scratches (go with the grain), it'll just slowly remove the tarnish, not sure how long it'll take/ you patience level.

Also my stainless was like new when I started.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

greenweb

• WKC Performer
« Reply #4 on: December 16, 2016, 07:22:58 AM »
That is a beautiful clean Red.  Try using razor blade to scrape it off  without scratching the SS on heavy build up.  You can then use SS cleaner or Magic eraser as suggested by kettlebb or some kind of degreaser.  You can then use 0000 steel wool to clean and polish SS.  Always try less abrasive stuff first.  Good luck!

Troy1620

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #5 on: December 16, 2016, 07:28:27 AM »
I will when i bring it to my shop. Unfortunately its covered with almost a foot of snow, on top of my weber cover of course. Just thinking ahead for my winter project.

captjoe06

• WKC Performer
    • Northeast BBQ
« Reply #6 on: December 16, 2016, 07:30:55 AM »
Beautiful red SSP!

Sent from my iPad using Weber Kettle Club mobile app
Smokey Joe Black, Smokey Joe Lime Green, Original Kettle Premium Black,'92 Red OTS, Yellow Simpson's 22, 78 Red MBH, '80 Black MBH, '10 Brick Red Performer,'12 Grass Green Performer, '03 Blue SSP, '97 Blue SSP, 18 inch WSM

Troy1620

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #7 on: December 16, 2016, 07:34:00 AM »
I will when i bring it to my shop. Unfortunately its covered with almost a foot of snow, on top of my weber cover of course. Just thinking ahead for my winter project.

Found this from last summer. Steak and salmon. You can see the condition of the table.

jeffrackmo

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #8 on: December 16, 2016, 08:21:55 AM »
I used bar keeprs friend with much success. Dilute it is a loose paste and git busy..  the i followed up with 0000.  Came out great!! 
Lets just say I have acquired a few Kettles.  Big and small.   Vintage and New...  Some say I have a problem.  I find the Kettle, buy the Kettle, USE the Kettle...No problem...

SteveZ

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #9 on: December 16, 2016, 08:37:54 AM »
In the last picture the Stainless looks like its pitted. I had a ssp table that was pitted pretty bad, I don't know from what, but I was not able to get that pitting out it was just too deep.
SSP Caribique, Black 2nd Generation Performer, 2018 Green Performer, 1970 MBH 26 Black (Fleetwood) with Roti, 1965 Thumb Screw 49er, (2) Black 18 OTG, 2017 Black Master Touch, Black Genesis Silver B.  E code 14 WSM, AH code 18 WSM, AH code 22 WSM,

Darko

• WKC Performer
« Reply #10 on: December 16, 2016, 08:00:48 PM »
Looking at that pic, I'm inclined to agree with SteveZ. It looks like it's pitted. But as you said in the original post... it's buildup. If it is just crap built up on the surface, you could probably scrape it off then polish the surface. If it's pitted, then all you can do is polish the surface and live with the pitting. Either way you have a beautiful looking red!

Jeepin79

• WKC Brave
« Reply #11 on: December 16, 2016, 08:04:35 PM »
I have a SS table (both pieces) in good shape that I would be willing to give you if you pay the shipping.  If your not able to clean yours up let me know and I can send you some pictures of it.

DonoBBQ

• WKC Brave
« Reply #12 on: December 17, 2016, 01:35:43 AM »
The first thing I would suggest is handing it to a senior member!  But incase you are hard headed like some of us I would suggest some sandsponges good luck with the resto

Sent from my LGLS990 using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

Too many grills and too little time! Looking for a  BLUE GENESIS GASSER! Will pay a bounty!

Speedster

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #13 on: December 18, 2016, 12:48:20 AM »
Awesome looking performer

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club mobile app
Webers rule