Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Christmas ham  (Read 1491 times)

Kayak Jack

• Happy Cooker
Christmas ham
« on: December 15, 2016, 04:05:34 AM »
Hi guys and gals.
I am going through try smoking a ham for Christmas. The piece we are getting img is about 4kg (8 1/2lb in old money). I have not smoked properly before and I am going to try the Sanke Method.
I have Weber Briquettes. Do I still do it 2x2? I was going to sprinkle wood chips along the length of the snake too.
I have also bought 2x1kg Gammon Joints to test it out on. Would you Butt them up together to simulate 2kg joint?
P.S. I am in the U.K. So the ham is not pre-cooked.

Travis

• WKC Ambassador
Christmas ham
« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2016, 07:56:53 AM »
Hello and welcome Jack!
I would think a 2x2 should work fine. Are you cooking on a 22" kettle? Or is it a 56 cm in the U.K. Same size though.
I would shoot for about 275 cooking temp and use a temp. Probe to monitor your internal temp (IT) and grate temp. If you don't have one a trusty old oven thermo works fine sitting on the grate but get a digital thermometer to let you know when to pull it. How big is the gammon joint? I would probe the smaller cut of meat. A 8 1/2 lb ham will take some time to cook.
Weber has a great recipe for hams. It's a Rosemary, apricot preserve mix that you baste on the ham. Delicious!
Hope it helps and make sure to get pics for us.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
« Last Edit: December 15, 2016, 08:00:22 AM by Travis »

Lightning

• WKC Ranger
Re: Christmas ham
« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2016, 08:44:42 AM »
Hi guys and gals.
I am going through try smoking a ham for Christmas. The piece we are getting img is about 4kg (8 1/2lb in old money). I have not smoked properly before and I am going to try the Sanke Method.
I have Weber Briquettes. Do I still do it 2x2? I was going to sprinkle wood chips along the length of the snake too.

Your proposed setup sounds like it should work well.  As long as you keep an eye on the temperature and adjust the vent opening to change the airflow as necessary, you should be fine.

I have also bought 2x1kg Gammon Joints to test it out on. Would you Butt them up together to simulate 2kg joint?

No, I don't think that would work very well since they're still individual pieces of meat, even when pushed together.  They probably wouldn't cook well individually and they wouldn't accurately simulate how a single larger piece of meat would cook.  I'd sit them apart from eachother on the grill and cook by internal temperature and do the same for the ham.  I don't think it's necessary to duplicate the exact weight of a single joint of meat to determine whether or not your snake setup works in principle during the test run.

P.S. I am in the U.K. So the ham is not pre-cooked.

I wondered when I saw the old money reference.  Anyways, that means you'll have to just keep an eye on the internal temperature of the ham and make sure it reaches the safe temperature for pork.  Are you planning to put a glaze on it?

Kayak Jack

• Happy Cooker
« Reply #3 on: December 15, 2016, 09:34:09 AM »
Thanks for the replays, peeps.
You are correct in that it is a 56cm grill.
I have a thermometer in the lid. Will that do for the Internal Temperature reading? I have a Meat Probe too, for the internal meat temperature.
I am planning on Scoring the skin and pushing Cloves in, then basting in Pure Maple Syrup.

Travis

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #4 on: December 15, 2016, 09:37:56 AM »
The thermometer on the lid will not be correct. The temp at the grate is lower than the dome. Most experiences I've had and have read you can count on about a 30-50 degree difference. So if your dome  reads 300, you maybe runnin' 250ish.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

HoosierKettle

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #5 on: December 15, 2016, 09:40:56 AM »
Unless you really like cloves, go easy on them. My mother made one once with cloves and it was very overpowering for my taste. That ham haunts me still as I think about it. That could be just my personal taste.

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

Lightning

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #6 on: December 17, 2016, 05:48:04 AM »
I've heard someone at work say the same about cloves.  I don't think I've ever eaten ham that's been studded with cloves.

I wish I could get uncooked hams here.  Actually, there are a bunch of things I wish I could get here...