Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: What am I doing wrong? (Re: Grill gates and rust)  (Read 1883 times)

JackofAllTrades

• Smokey Joe
What am I doing wrong? (Re: Grill gates and rust)
« on: December 05, 2016, 08:07:32 AM »
I replaced a rusted grate in the spring that was only 1 years old and I pulled out my grill a week ago after about a month or two hiatus and it's starting to rust as well. I keep both of my 22.5"s in the garage with a grill cover on them. I do not scrape the grates after cooking.

Am I missing something?

Regards,
Keith
'15 Black Premium 22.5" | '15 Black MT 22.5" | Original SnS | Maverick ET-732 | ThermoWorks Smoke
Jack of All Trades BBQ - Since 2015

HoosierKettle

• WKC Ambassador
What am I doing wrong? (Re: Grill gates and rust)
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2016, 08:33:29 AM »
Yes. Rust doesn't hurt anything as long as it's not rusted through what's the problem?  give it a scrape and rub with some cooking oil and grill on.  Grilling frequently and leaving the grease from the last cook prevents rust

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

JackofAllTrades

• Smokey Joe
Re: What am I doing wrong? (Re: Grill gates and rust)
« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2016, 08:39:38 AM »
I was worried rust was unhealthy to cook on and perhaps ingest... That could be my ignorance though.

It didn't seem rusted through so I'll try to salvage it if possible. I typically do something once or twice a month, I had just gotten really busy on the weekends and 2 months went by. I thought it would be okay being inside and covered.

Thanks for the reply @HoosierKettle
'15 Black Premium 22.5" | '15 Black MT 22.5" | Original SnS | Maverick ET-732 | ThermoWorks Smoke

pbe gummi bear

• WKC Mod
« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2016, 09:12:23 AM »
Jack, where do you live? sometimes a damp environment can cause rusting. I would leave your top and bottom vents open to release any trapped moisture. Frequently cooking at high heat or extremely high heat can also lead to the breakdown of the chrome plating and cause rust more easily. You can oil your grates at the end of the cook to mitigate this. Surface rust is no problem. Just wipr brush it off at the beginning of the next cook. You would only need to worry about large flakes of rust. We dont need to eat that much iron. ;) hope that helps
"Have you hugged your Weber today?"
Check out WKC on Facebook:
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Weber-Kettle-Club/521728011229791

JackofAllTrades

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #4 on: December 05, 2016, 10:46:53 AM »
South Carolina so it stays pretty humid here. The last time I had cooked on it, there was a little bit of condensation on the lid and bowl due to lower temps and humidity so maybe that's what caused this particular event.

So you're saying once I kill the charcoal and get the kettle cooled down, open the vents back up indefinitely while it is being stored? I'll definitely try oiling the grate at the end of my cooks to help with this.

Thanks @pbe gummi bear

-Keith

Filibuster

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #5 on: December 05, 2016, 11:01:47 AM »
   The missing link seems to be oiling the grates immediately after washing them. Case closed.
Radio station WEFUNK 50,000 kilowatts of PFUNK power.

swamprb

• WKC Performer
« Reply #6 on: December 05, 2016, 04:46:00 PM »
Practice your ABC's

Always Be Cookin'!
I cook on: Backwoods Gater, Lang 36, Hunsaker Smokers, Pellet Pro 22" WSM, BGE's, WSM's, Cajun Bandits, PK Grills, Drum Smokers, Genesis Silver C, Weber Q's, Cookshack 008, Little Chief, La Caja China #2, Lodge Sportsman...oh yeah! Weber Kettles! Kamado restoration and pit modification hack!

Lightning

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #7 on: December 05, 2016, 05:09:04 PM »
Are you near the Atlantic coast by any chance?  Salt air from the sea can be rough on iron and steel.

kettlebb

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #8 on: December 05, 2016, 05:18:21 PM »
Find stainless replacements.

Looking for: Red MBH 26"(The Aristocrat), Chestnut-coppertone (The Estate), Glen-blue (The Imperial), and The Plainsman.

kettlebb

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #10 on: December 05, 2016, 06:33:40 PM »
That's strange. I was going to post the link to those grates but when I searched Amazon they were not in stock an hour ago. Those are nice grates. I'm using it right now in my Performer and they are of great quality and workmanship. You'll be happy you bought them.

Looking for: Red MBH 26"(The Aristocrat), Chestnut-coppertone (The Estate), Glen-blue (The Imperial), and The Plainsman.

JackofAllTrades

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #11 on: December 06, 2016, 04:23:36 AM »
   The missing link seems to be oiling the grates immediately after washing them. Case closed.
I never stated that I was washing them, but that is good advice, thanks!

JackofAllTrades

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #12 on: December 06, 2016, 04:26:04 AM »
Are you near the Atlantic coast by any chance?  Salt air from the sea can be rough on iron and steel.
I'm far enough away that salt air should not be an issue. I'm 100+ miles away.

JackofAllTrades

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #13 on: December 06, 2016, 04:27:54 AM »
That's strange. I was going to post the link to those grates but when I searched Amazon they were not in stock an hour ago. Those are nice grates. I'm using it right now in my Performer and they are of great quality and workmanship. You'll be happy you bought them.

https://www.amazon.com/Stainless-Hinged-Cooking-Charcoal-Grills/dp/B01M1LEKPX/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1480994316&sr=8-2&keywords=stainless+7436+round+weber+grate

I was looking at these yesterday as well and they were also out of stock then. I'm ordering now, thank you!

YardBurner

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #14 on: December 06, 2016, 11:55:56 AM »

Nobody ever seems to mention the salt trapped in the fat from the previous cook.
It's left in direct contact with the grate.  A quick brush down once the kettle is cool
and a light coating of oil either sprayed or wiped on will do the trick.

It's especially true for CI grates.

-Rob