Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: ~Painting Aluminum OTG Ash Pans?~  (Read 1226 times)

swamprb

• WKC Performer
~Painting Aluminum OTG Ash Pans?~
« on: December 03, 2016, 07:42:30 AM »
To those that have painted the OTG Ash pans, how well do they hold up to the heat of the ashes or the elements?

I have painted two of them and took a lot of time cleaning, prepping, primer and finish painted and will admit that they looked great, but after time the paint has peeled and flaked off. The paints I used were Rustoleum High temp primer and finished with Rustoleum High Heat Semi Gloss BBQ paint.

Have never come across any black ash pans on any OTG's I've acquired - does Weber produce one?

I've used these paints with a lot of success on other projects but for some reason its failed on these two aluminum pans.

Any ideas or prep/painting suggestions?
I cook on: Backwoods Gater, Lang 36, Hunsaker Smokers, Pellet Pro 22" WSM, BGE's, WSM's, Cajun Bandits, PK Grills, Drum Smokers, Genesis Silver C, Weber Q's, Cookshack 008, Little Chief, La Caja China #2, Lodge Sportsman...oh yeah! Weber Kettles! Kamado restoration and pit modification hack!

Hell Fire Grill

• WKC Performer
Re: ~Painting Aluminum OTG Ash Pans?~
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2016, 08:14:08 AM »
Did you sand or scotchbright it when you prepped last time?

Seems like your physical bond failed because I know that paint is good stuff.

You can't always get what you want....but if you try sometimes you get what you need

swamprb

• WKC Performer
« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2016, 08:40:30 AM »
Did you sand or scotchbright it when you prepped last time?

Seems like your physical bond failed because I know that paint is good stuff.

yes
I cook on: Backwoods Gater, Lang 36, Hunsaker Smokers, Pellet Pro 22" WSM, BGE's, WSM's, Cajun Bandits, PK Grills, Drum Smokers, Genesis Silver C, Weber Q's, Cookshack 008, Little Chief, La Caja China #2, Lodge Sportsman...oh yeah! Weber Kettles! Kamado restoration and pit modification hack!

greenweb

• WKC Performer
« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2016, 08:51:16 AM »

Have never come across any black ash pans on any OTG's I've acquired - does Weber produce one?

New colored master touch and some 2nd gen to 4gen performers in certain color (eg. C&B Lime) comes in black.   Should be able to order one from Weber or ereplacementparts.com.

Hell Fire Grill

• WKC Performer
« Reply #4 on: December 03, 2016, 10:04:46 AM »
You may need to etch the suface with a mild acid to remove oxidization. Aluminum oxidizes really quick which is why we use a shielding gas to weld it. Rustoleum offers a self etching primer but I dont know about a high heat application.

Someone at an auto body supply should be able to give you more information. I dont know if they have a paint dept. where you work but they'd know too.

In the end vinegar might be the solution.
You can't always get what you want....but if you try sometimes you get what you need

Erich

• WKC Brave
« Reply #5 on: December 03, 2016, 10:07:47 AM »
Send it to the plating shop and have it black anodized.