Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Kettle Pizza add on suggestions  (Read 1948 times)

MikeRocksTheRed

• WKC Performer
    • The Kettle Cookers (facebook group)
Kettle Pizza add on suggestions
« on: November 22, 2016, 10:57:07 AM »
I've got my Kettlepizza fairly dialed in now but would love to add the pro-grate and tombstone or the baking steel.  I'm leaning towards the prograte and tombstone but wanted thoughts from those of you have have one or the other or both.

My main reason for leaning towards the grate and stone is due to the fact that I have roached a few cooking grates already and find that none of my grates make it PERFECT for adding more wood during my cook without having to take some MacGyver kind of steps of either twisting the whole assembly so I can access the full "C" shape of my coals and wood setup, or taking things off to access it.  The pro grate makes it easy to access all of these areas as well as prevents we from warping and roaching my cooking grates.  I've even manage to warp the hell of out of my weber gourmet grate which is a lot heavier and thicker than my other grates.  I'm sure part of that is the high heat as well as the weight of my 5/8's pizza stone.

I like the idea of the baking steel and see how it would work well, but I don't like that it kind of blocks you from being able to drop wood into the back center of the coals.  I suppose that is not a problem when combined with the pro-grate since you can just toss the chunks in through the front or use a metal peel to get them in there.

What are your thoughts?
62-68 Avocado BAR-B-Q Kettle, Red ER SS Performer, Green DA SS Performer, Black EE three wheeler, 1 SJS, 1 Homer Simpson SJS,  AT Black 26er, 82 Kettle Gasser Deluxe, "A" code 18.5 MBH, M Code Tuck-n-Carry, P Code Go Anywhere, 2015 RANCH FREAKING KETTLE!!!!!!

Nate

• WKC Ranger
Re: Kettle Pizza add on suggestions
« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2016, 06:10:47 PM »
@MikeRocksTheRed   Both the tombstone and steel are worth it IMO. My preference would be the SS steel instead of the standard steel. Getting more wood in with the steel is a challenge; I just make sure the pieces of wood fit through the mouth of the KP. I also have the tombstone rotated, as seen here http://weberkettleclub.com/forums/pizza-forum/kettlepizza-pies-for-me-myself-i/ , which makes it easier to manage your fire and produces a more even heat. But if you love to make pizzas all the time and don't mind using gas, the black stone pizza oven might be a better option for a few bucks more. Plus you should be able to get closer to a real neopolitian pizza cook with the black stone.  These are just my opinions. Hope it helps with your decision.

blieb

• WKC Brave
« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2016, 12:42:06 PM »
Yeah both are worth the dough.  (Ha!) ... I started with tombstone but after melting a makeshift foil cover I realized the steel was a game changer.  Get both when you can and don't look back!

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

Smokers:    WSM 22" | WSM 14.5"
Performers: Plum SS  | Red Fade SS

demosthenes9

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2016, 02:21:13 PM »
Save yourself $100+ and see if you can find a piece of scrap steel and cut your own cover.   My cousin had a piece of 1/8th inch or 3/16th steel.   We scribed the arc with a radius of 10 inches and easily cut it with a jig saw.   I put a spare cooking grate up on top of the KP then rest the metal plate on that.