Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Another round of pizzas  (Read 3093 times)

MikeRocksTheRed

• WKC Performer
    • The Kettle Cookers (facebook group)
Another round of pizzas
« on: November 21, 2016, 07:51:22 AM »
Another round of pizzas.  Again is used he Bobby Flay dough recipe. I used to let it rise, punch it down, divide it into 3 or 4 balls then let it rise again but the last two cooks I've divided it Pre rise, then stretched the dough after 1 rise.  This seems to work better than letting it rise twice.

I didn't have much mesquite so I used some pecan chunks.  The pizzas came out good, but I found that with pecan I had to reload the wood chunks more than I do with mesquite.  It will be mesquite or possible oak from this point on.  The pecan did burn hot but didn't last long.  My second pizza, the white one clearly shows from the edge of the crust that I had one hell of a fire going.  I think if I had a little bit more coal under the stone it might have cooked in the bottom faster and I wouldn't have burned the edge so much.  It still came out good and I usually only eat some of the crust edges so it wasn't really a big deal. 

I usually used dried salami but this time used a different version that apparently isn't dried.  It created a lot more fat and grease on the pizzas.  Will go back to dried salami for future cooks.

I still can't make a round pizza to save my life and have somewhat given up on it.  I can make three pizzas that aren't round but are consistently the same shape though!!!!  LOL!  I spread my dough on a butcher block cutting board then transfer it to the peels...so it isn't like I'm making the dough on the peel which is somehow forcing me to make the pizza the same shape as my peels...that's just a coincidence.

One fully lit chimney of KBB

Added unlit KBB and let those coals get going

Mesquite and pecan chunks added, letting the stone and grill get to temp

Nothing new here, my standard white pizza.  EVOO, Ricotta, fresh mozzarella, minced garlic, and a basil leaf in the center.

Whole San Marzano crushed for the sauce, fresh mozzarella, shredded mozzarella,pepperoni and a little bit of salami.

Whole San Marzano crushed for the sauce, fresh mozzarella, shredded mozzarella, salami and a little bit of pepperoni.

Arugula, prosciutto, and a squeeze of lemon added post cook.  The edge was burned but the bottom came out perfect.

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club mobile app
« Last Edit: November 21, 2016, 07:55:12 AM by MikeRocksTheRed »
62-68 Avocado BAR-B-Q Kettle, Red ER SS Performer, Green DA SS Performer, Black EE three wheeler, 1 SJS, 1 Homer Simpson SJS,  AT Black 26er, 82 Kettle Gasser Deluxe, "A" code 18.5 MBH, M Code Tuck-n-Carry, P Code Go Anywhere, 2015 RANCH FREAKING KETTLE!!!!!!

kettlebb

• WKC Ambassador
Re: Another round of pizzas
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2016, 08:00:20 AM »
Damn Mike! Very nice.

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club mobile app
Looking for: Red MBH 26"(The Aristocrat), Chestnut-coppertone (The Estate), Glen-blue (The Imperial), and The Plainsman.

Davescprktl

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2016, 08:22:26 AM »
Yeah that one looked a little crispy on the edges but I would still gladly chow down on it!  I will be off Thanksgiving weekend and hope to crank out more pies of my own.
OKP Crimson, 22" H Code Brownie, SJS Lime, 22" CB Stacker, Red Q2200, Performer Deluxe CB slate blue

"If God didn't want us to eat animals, why did he make them out of meat?"  H. Simpson

Jason

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2016, 09:15:16 AM »
Good looking pies Mike! Four day weekend is coming up, so I might fire up my oven too, thanks for the post!

Travis

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #4 on: November 21, 2016, 02:54:18 PM »
Killer looking pies, man!
How often do you have to turn them in the length of the cook?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MikeRocksTheRed

• WKC Performer
« Reply #5 on: November 21, 2016, 03:04:45 PM »
Killer looking pies, man!
How often do you have to turn them in the length of the cook?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have a pair of pizza spinners, so I turn multiple times during a cook.   Sometimes after the first minute or so when the crust is set up enough to spin it, I will spin it constantly until its done.   It just depends on if I am feeling extra OCD or have something better to do!  LOL.  I'd say as long as I turn it about 1/3rd of a turn 3-4 times throughout the length of the cook it is fine.  I've never really paid close attention to my spinning technique to be honest with you.
62-68 Avocado BAR-B-Q Kettle, Red ER SS Performer, Green DA SS Performer, Black EE three wheeler, 1 SJS, 1 Homer Simpson SJS,  AT Black 26er, 82 Kettle Gasser Deluxe, "A" code 18.5 MBH, M Code Tuck-n-Carry, P Code Go Anywhere, 2015 RANCH FREAKING KETTLE!!!!!!

Jon

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #6 on: November 21, 2016, 06:09:00 PM »
Great looking pizzas! Nice upskirt shots.

varekai

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #7 on: November 21, 2016, 09:36:42 PM »
@MikeRocksTheRed , dude you got this shit down!!  those look great!!
CGA,GGA, jumbo joe, 3-18" kettles,22" blue,green,yellow and 2 reds, 1-22" lid mod for pizza, a genesis silver,2 Red SS Performers,2 26ers,1 red, 1 chief and a Ranch Kettle.

MikeRocksTheRed

• WKC Performer
« Reply #8 on: November 22, 2016, 04:51:18 AM »
@MikeRocksTheRed , dude you got this shit down!!  those look great!!

I've got it almost down!   :-\  Changing up my wood type messed with the process a little bit.  Mesquite burns a bit hotter and for a good bit longer than pecan does at those high temps.  I'm glad I was only doing 3 pizzas that cook instead of my normal 6.

JEBIV

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #9 on: November 22, 2016, 10:37:30 AM »
@MikeRocksTheRed  every time I look at your pizza cooks I want to go buy a kettle pizza Awesome
Seeking a Black Sequoia I know I know, I'd settle for just the tabbed no leg grill

MikeRocksTheRed

• WKC Performer
« Reply #10 on: November 22, 2016, 10:47:09 AM »
@MikeRocksTheRed  every time I look at your pizza cooks I want to go buy a kettle pizza Awesome

Thanks!!!!  There a quite of few members here that have it dialed in so when you get a Kettle Pizza for the holidays we will get you caught up quick!!!!