Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: First time Pork/Boston Butt slow cook on the Performer  (Read 2620 times)

HoosierKettle

• WKC Ambassador
Re: First time Pork/Boston Butt slow cook on the Performer
« Reply #15 on: November 18, 2016, 07:57:36 PM »

I've never wrapped anything to get through a stall. I just let them ride it out because I like the nice bark. Once I pull the brisket or butt I'll set it in a Pyrex dish and tent it with foil. The rest time depends on what kind of day I've had and how hungry I am. I try to go 2+ hours before slicing or pulling.

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

I never did either but my pork butts were never tender. This was before I was enlightened by doing research. I didn't even know that you were suppose to reach a temp of 195+. I was cooking to 165 or so then had to chop it up with a knife. I did a little research and starting wrapping and getting temp where it is suppose to be and my pork butts were tender. It wasn't until this thread that I'm learning the tenderness comes from reaching the desired temp and not from wrapping. Never put it together. So glad I'm learning something.

kettlebb

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #16 on: November 18, 2016, 08:03:07 PM »
I usually take them off at 190-195 but how hot is too hot? When is it nearly ruined? Say your having some beers and get carried away and let one go a little long.

Looking for: Red MBH 26"(The Aristocrat), Chestnut-coppertone (The Estate), Glen-blue (The Imperial), and The Plainsman.

MikeRocksTheRed

• WKC Performer
    • The Kettle Cookers (facebook group)
« Reply #17 on: November 21, 2016, 08:01:39 AM »
@Jeepin79 -  How did it go?
62-68 Avocado BAR-B-Q Kettle, Red ER SS Performer, Green DA SS Performer, Black EE three wheeler, 1 SJS, 1 Homer Simpson SJS,  AT Black 26er, 82 Kettle Gasser Deluxe, "A" code 18.5 MBH, M Code Tuck-n-Carry, P Code Go Anywhere, 2015 RANCH FREAKING KETTLE!!!!!!

Jeepin79

• WKC Brave
« Reply #18 on: November 21, 2016, 09:52:31 AM »

I postponed the cook because Saturday we had crazy winds and I decided to wait for a calm day since it will be my first cook. 

MikeRocksTheRed

• WKC Performer
« Reply #19 on: November 21, 2016, 10:01:55 AM »

I postponed the cook because Saturday we had crazy winds and I decided to wait for a calm day since it will be my first cook.

Smart move!  NO need to deal with unnecessary variables on a first attempt at something!
62-68 Avocado BAR-B-Q Kettle, Red ER SS Performer, Green DA SS Performer, Black EE three wheeler, 1 SJS, 1 Homer Simpson SJS,  AT Black 26er, 82 Kettle Gasser Deluxe, "A" code 18.5 MBH, M Code Tuck-n-Carry, P Code Go Anywhere, 2015 RANCH FREAKING KETTLE!!!!!!

Jeepin79

• WKC Brave
« Reply #20 on: November 22, 2016, 05:16:52 AM »

Smart move!  NO need to deal with unnecessary variables on a first attempt at something!

Cold I can deal with but the wind was crazy so it seemed like my best option.  My wife is going out of town for a week after Thanksgiving so I am going to do a test run while she is gone.  I figure if I F it up she wont be here to give me a hard time about it.

MikeRocksTheRed

• WKC Performer
« Reply #21 on: November 22, 2016, 06:15:48 AM »

Cold I can deal with but the wind was crazy so it seemed like my best option.  My wife is going out of town for a week after Thanksgiving so I am going to do a test run while she is gone.  I figure if I F it up she wont be here to give me a hard time about it.

You won't F up a butt or a shoulder, they are pretty bullet proof.  You might slightly undercook it and will be a bitch to pull, or slightly overcook it which can be masked with sauce...but you'll probably nail it.  It will only pull in smoke the first few hours so worst case scenario if you fire becomes unmanageable you can always move it to the oven to finish.