Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Help with Vortex wings  (Read 4718 times)

HoosierKettle

• WKC Ambassador
Re: Help with Vortex wings
« Reply #15 on: November 17, 2016, 09:55:34 AM »
I bet the small would be great to increase grill real estate at the expanse of taking a couple minutes longer. My baskets take up a good bit of area on the 22 and wings take 30min. Same set up on the 26 takes a little longer but wings just as good.

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

HoosierKettle

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #16 on: November 17, 2016, 09:56:39 AM »
Kind of makes me want a small so I could use on 22 and I assume 18?

Wahoo95

• WKC Brave
« Reply #17 on: November 17, 2016, 04:23:47 PM »
You can fit more wings on the rack than most realize.  I've fit 30 whole wings on mine many times with excellent results

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

MikeRocksTheRed

• WKC Performer
    • The Kettle Cookers (facebook group)
Help with Vortex wings
« Reply #18 on: November 18, 2016, 06:38:23 AM »
@Loonysup - fired up my vortex last night for kabobs.  Cooked those with the lid temp around 450-500.  That was with one fully lit chimney of KBB in my medium vortex.  For wings I usually top of the chimney and let those coals get roaring before doing wings.  When I was done with my kabobs last night I thought of this post and wanted to verify that I usually am at much higher temps for wings.  I knocked my coals around in the vortex to clear out any ash then topped it of with unlit KBB and let it get going for 15-20 minutes with the lid off while I ate dinner. Then I out the lid on but slightly lose so it could get a little extra fresh air.   Within about 5 more minutes my lid temp was over 700.  I missed a few coals loading the vortex and at this point they have lit despite not having any open flame next to them.  My vortex was glowing red and once I put the lid in snug some flames were shooting out of the top vent.  I'm sure the temp above the vortex at the grate was well over 1100 degrees.   I didn't think to grab my IR Thermo to check.

I did take advantage of this super heat and seared off a top sirloin I cooked at 135 in my sous vide.  Will be sliced with my meat slicer today for cheesesteaks.

« Last Edit: November 18, 2016, 06:40:47 AM by MikeRocksTheRed »
62-68 Avocado BAR-B-Q Kettle, Red ER SS Performer, Green DA SS Performer, Black EE three wheeler, 1 SJS, 1 Homer Simpson SJS,  AT Black 26er, 82 Kettle Gasser Deluxe, "A" code 18.5 MBH, M Code Tuck-n-Carry, P Code Go Anywhere, 2015 RANCH FREAKING KETTLE!!!!!!

Loonysup

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #19 on: November 18, 2016, 06:53:18 AM »
Thanks for the great information.   Next time I'm going to try topping off the vortex as you describe.  I end up taking wings as an app to dinner parties quite often so getting the timing perfected is important. 

MacEggs

• WKC Performer
« Reply #20 on: November 18, 2016, 07:17:46 AM »
@MikeRocksTheRed , I see you have the Tel-Tru thermometer. 

Is it the same thermo as the one in this link, and does it fit with no issues??.  Thanks.

http://www.teltru.com/p-245-weber-genesis-gold-bc-grill-replacement-themometer.aspx
Q: How do you know something is bull$h!t?
A: When you are not allowed to question it.

MikeRocksTheRed

• WKC Performer
    • The Kettle Cookers (facebook group)
« Reply #21 on: November 18, 2016, 07:25:49 AM »
@MikeRocksTheRed , I see you have the Tel-Tru thermometer. 

Is it the same thermo as the one in this link, and does it fit with no issues??.  Thanks.

http://www.teltru.com/p-245-weber-genesis-gold-bc-grill-replacement-themometer.aspx

This is the one I ordered.  5" stem.  I think it was the only option long enough that goes up to 100 degrees.  Since I use my vortex and Kettle Pizza a lot I wanted the higher range.  It sticks through the lid 1".

Product No:   Details:   Quantity:   Price   Product Price:
23100566   BIG Green Egg, Primo, Komodo, Grill Dome, or other Kamado-style Replacement Thermometer LT225R, 5 inch stem, 200/1000 degrees F   1   $22.55   $22.55
62-68 Avocado BAR-B-Q Kettle, Red ER SS Performer, Green DA SS Performer, Black EE three wheeler, 1 SJS, 1 Homer Simpson SJS,  AT Black 26er, 82 Kettle Gasser Deluxe, "A" code 18.5 MBH, M Code Tuck-n-Carry, P Code Go Anywhere, 2015 RANCH FREAKING KETTLE!!!!!!

hawgheaven

• WKC Performer
    • Hawg Heaven Smokin' BBQ
« Reply #22 on: November 18, 2016, 07:47:30 AM »
Your wings look fabulous!

I'm a Vortex fan... I use a full lit chimney of RO briquets or RO lump, top vent wide open and start out with the bottom vent wide open, then adjust it accordingly.
Multiple kettles and WSM's. I am not a collector, just a gatherer... and a sick bastard.

WNC

• WKC Performer
« Reply #23 on: November 18, 2016, 03:13:34 PM »
I light my vortex with the gas assist on my performer, it's usually still in there from the last cook, so I just top off the coals and light it up.
When the coals are all lit I put the wings on straight from the package with a dusting of creole seasoning.
Usually takes about an hour for them to get the crispness I like and I'll flip half way.
So yeah, mine tend to take longer than most too?
My thermometer pegs out when I first put the lid on and then settles in at about 450 by the time I flip. I'm also using Stubbs

WNC

• WKC Performer
« Reply #24 on: November 18, 2016, 04:23:14 PM »
Just thought to top it off with coshell [emoji16]
This should make a difference

jfbincypress

• WKC Brave
« Reply #25 on: November 18, 2016, 05:01:39 PM »
I use KBB on a 22, and it consistently pegs the thermo on a brand new Slate MasterTouch. I get 450 with just the charcoal baskets, so this is a big increase in temps.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

HoosierKettle

• WKC Ambassador
Help with Vortex wings
« Reply #26 on: November 18, 2016, 05:02:41 PM »
I haven't seen this mentioned yet but what wings is everyone starting out with?  That would make a little difference in time to get crispy as well.

I have always used packages of wings from sam's (fresh). They come whole and I butcher them before hand. I discard the wingtip and separate the drummet from the wing. Only takes 10 minutes but during that time they are warming slightly. I then oil and season then they hit the grill. At 25 minutes they are done and already crispy but I sauce them with a brush where they lay and let them go another 5-10 and pull them. Anyways subtle differences with prep and product might change times. I could set a watch by the process now.

Geezer

• WKC Brave
« Reply #27 on: November 19, 2016, 03:06:43 AM »
We buy the whole wings and separate them before grilling.  I don't oil them, just dust them with whatever I'm using that day.  I don't turn mine during the cook.  I leave them on for nearly an hour and they are crispy outside and juicy inside.  I do turn the lid every 15 minutes to put the vent in different positions.  I do this if I think of it, not sure if it makes any difference.

hawgheaven

• WKC Performer
    • Hawg Heaven Smokin' BBQ
« Reply #28 on: November 21, 2016, 09:32:03 AM »
We buy the whole wings and separate them before grilling.  I don't oil them, just dust them with whatever I'm using that day.  I don't turn mine during the cook.  I leave them on for nearly an hour and they are crispy outside and juicy inside.  I do turn the lid every 15 minutes to put the vent in different positions.  I do this if I think of it, not sure if it makes any difference.
Yup. ^What he said^

I've been using baking powder along with my favorite rub also... helps with the crispies.
Multiple kettles and WSM's. I am not a collector, just a gatherer... and a sick bastard.

Garvinque

• WKC Brave
« Reply #29 on: November 22, 2016, 02:10:57 PM »
if the Vortex people and the Slow and Sear people want to send me a Free one, I will gladly give an honest in depth review of each one. Right now my opinion is no,,,it don't make grilling any easier, no better results, no better tasting food!
-How can you say that if you don't own one, That's like saying I don't like pizza and never had a slice!!!
LET THE FIRE DO THE WORK! 22 OTG Frankenstein, Jumbo Joe, Weber 26.75 Kettle,Weber Char Q,Weber Baby Blue Q 100, Kamado Joe Jr, Cobb Grill-Both sizes, Southwest Disk Cowboy Wok!