Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Finally built my miniWSM  (Read 7797 times)

Paul Isa

• WKC Brave
Re: Finally built my miniWSM
« Reply #15 on: April 04, 2013, 11:30:31 PM »
Looks great. How many cooks have you had on it?  How has the paint held up?  Current photos?

bob hope

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #16 on: April 04, 2013, 11:57:58 PM »
Outstanding build Bman :o!! you do great work. now lets see her fired up ;D ;D
Because Here we are Friends. Here we are Brothers.
A family in the name of Weber.

HankB

• WKC Performer
« Reply #17 on: April 05, 2013, 05:44:36 AM »
I am not the biggest fans of these home made mini WSMs, but this one is really incredible.  Well done.
I'm curious what it is that doesn't excite you about these. (No, not trying to pick a fight, just curious.) Mine is one of my go-to grills. I find it perfect for small smokes (and by small, I mean less than half a dozen racks of ribs or couple butts.) I did my first brisket on my mini-WSM. It's also great for stuff like moinks and ABTs where I want direct heat but not too much.
kettles, smokers...

Bman

• WKC Performer
« Reply #18 on: April 05, 2013, 07:08:14 AM »
Looks great. How many cooks have you had on it?  How has the paint held up?  Current photos?

Thanks!
Zero
Perfectly - I'm in the 7 day 'drying' process before I cure it with heat.
These are.

I picked up a small (3ish lb butt) I'll smoke on Sunday.
I've always had gas...  And now a bunch of kettles because of this place.  Thanks!

DoppelBock

• WKC Ranger
Finally built my miniWSM
« Reply #19 on: April 05, 2013, 09:09:05 AM »
Awesome paint job Bman, glad the shelf liner worked out. I'll be starting the process this Sunday; it's finally warm enough outside to use degreaser and start painting. First up is MN Twins mini with pin strips and a TC logo. Hope mine is half as good as yours.

1911Ron

• WKC Performer
« Reply #20 on: April 05, 2013, 11:06:08 AM »
Looks like it came that way, looks good!
Wanted: 18" Platinum any color will work
This is my Kettle there are many like it but this one is mine......

Craig

• WKC Mod
Finally built my miniWSM
« Reply #21 on: April 05, 2013, 08:48:25 PM »
Looks like it came factory from Weber. I don't even want to show the one i just built after seeing this beauty. Outstanding job!

MossyMO

• WKC Brave
    • Owens BBQ
« Reply #22 on: July 28, 2013, 08:25:57 AM »
Nice work Bman!
I picked up a 32 quart Imusa pot a few months ago to do this same project, like you the pot is just a tad too large for the Smokey Joe lid. I am unfamiliar with how you used an F clamp to alter the pot for a nice fit for the lid?

I was planning on using a Dremel to trim the lip of the pot for a nice lid fit, then I saw on another forum the 32 quart Vasconia pot fit the Smokey Joe lid perfectly; but I still haven't ordered the Vasconia pot yet.

Bman

• WKC Performer
« Reply #23 on: July 28, 2013, 08:44:45 AM »
Thanks!  The Dremel will leave an edge that requires additional attention to make it safer for skin.  :)
Picture using a pair of pliers to squeeze the rolled edge on the top of the pot.  Instead of using pliers, I used the clamp in the same fashion and in this orientation.  (larger side inside the pot, handle outside)

With the pot standing normal on the work bench, I went all around the pot giving a light squeeze to the rolled edge.  Literally, I moved the clamp an inch at a time around the perimeter.  After it was all done, the lid fit perfectly.  During the first cook, the metal got hot & expanded (duh) and the lid became snug while removing.  After the cook was over, I went around one more time and it's been problem free since then.  Probably took me 2 minutes to do.
I've always had gas...  And now a bunch of kettles because of this place.  Thanks!

Peaspurple

• WKC Ranger
Finally built my miniWSM
« Reply #24 on: July 28, 2013, 08:58:44 AM »
Very nice. The weber looks flawless.

A Wonderful Family!!!

OGlenn

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #25 on: July 28, 2013, 10:02:39 AM »
You do very good work!  If I ever come across a cheap smokey joe, I may borrow form your techniques and try to build one myself.
Uncommon sense seeker