Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Simpsons Yellow 22  (Read 3891 times)

AZ Monsoon

• WKC Ranger
Re: Simpsons Yellow 22
« Reply #15 on: November 14, 2016, 04:56:49 PM »
Oops. My bad. It just looks like the logo is embossed (if that's the right term). Looks like you would have to make a decal of the original. So light sanding, primer, paint, logo and then clear coat to cover the decal. Just my .02
« Last Edit: November 14, 2016, 05:02:50 PM by AZ Monsoon »

greenweb

• WKC Performer
« Reply #16 on: November 14, 2016, 05:04:54 PM »
It is always nice to keep things original but with the Simpson kettle,I opt to differ. If I got it just like that, I would put nice 2 screw Zav's wooden handles ( need to drill 2 small holes per handle) , take off the ash bucket ring and put ask pan/disk, clean up the triangle and put new wheels.  Sort of reminiscent of 60's Ambassador.  I might even sand off the simpson pic on the lid and try buffing back the color or leave it as is.

HoosierKettle

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #17 on: November 14, 2016, 05:17:58 PM »
+1 for what greenweb said but then I'm not really a collector. I would definitely want the wood handle and logo delete.

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

AZ Monsoon

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #18 on: November 14, 2016, 05:18:58 PM »
ewwwwwwww. No offense of course lol

HoosierKettle

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #19 on: November 14, 2016, 05:22:14 PM »
Like I said, I'm no collector so take my opinion with a grain of Himalayan pink salt [emoji3]

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

Darko

• WKC Performer
« Reply #20 on: November 14, 2016, 05:45:16 PM »
It is always nice to keep things original but with the Simpson kettle,I opt to differ. If I got it just like that, I would put nice 2 screw Zav's wooden handles ( need to drill 2 small holes per handle) , take off the ash bucket ring and put ask pan/disk, clean up the triangle and put new wheels.  Sort of reminiscent of 60's Ambassador.  I might even sand off the simpson pic on the lid and try buffing back the color or leave it as is.
So, your suggestion is to take a collectable kettle and turn it into something completely worthless?

kettlebb

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #21 on: November 14, 2016, 05:47:20 PM »
If I weren't into The Simpsons I'd find someone who was and make a trade long before I'd ruin it. To each their own.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Looking for: Red MBH 26"(The Aristocrat), Chestnut-coppertone (The Estate), Glen-blue (The Imperial), and The Plainsman.

greenweb

• WKC Performer
« Reply #22 on: November 14, 2016, 06:22:11 PM »
So, your suggestion is to take a collectable kettle and turn it into something completely worthless?

I know many people will disagree, but to me, the Simpson kettle is too new to be a collectable unlike few of your latest scores. Again, to me, they are more closer to any beer logo kettles than any collectable 50,60, or 70's  kettles.
With faded handles and missing ash bucket, I suggested what I would do as an alternative option. Actually, if I get one of these and I have seen it as low as $20 in the past, I would definitely do what I mentioned.  The soft yellow color is so close to the 60's Ambassador, I think it will look so cool with logo and those blue handle delete and nice wooden handles.  Again this is just me.  You do not have to agree.  I certainly don't agree with your statement about being turning it into something worthless if you do something you like or creative.

For the record, I will not touch oldie kettles, but anything newer are different story. 
« Last Edit: November 14, 2016, 06:47:36 PM by greenweb »

AZ Monsoon

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #23 on: November 14, 2016, 06:42:06 PM »

I know many people will disagree, but to me, the Simpson kettle is too new to be a collectable unlike few of your latest scores. Again, to me, they are more closer to any beer logo kettles than any collectable 50,60, or 70's  kettles.
With faded handles and missing ash bucket, I suggested what I would do as an alternative option. Actually, if I get one of these and I have seen it as low as $20 in the past, I would definitely do what I mentioned.  The soft yellow color is so close to the 60's Ambassador, I think it will look so cool with logo and those blue handle delete and nice wooden handles.  Again this is just me.  You do not have to agree.  I certainly don't agree with your statement about being turning it into something worthless if you do something you like or creative.

Agreed. I disagree with you, but to each his own.
« Last Edit: November 14, 2016, 06:49:31 PM by AZ Monsoon »

Darko

• WKC Performer
« Reply #24 on: November 14, 2016, 06:58:30 PM »
So, why is it ok to butcher a limited edition kettle from the 90's up, but you respect a general kettle from earlier?

greenweb

• WKC Performer
« Reply #25 on: November 14, 2016, 07:37:59 PM »
So, why is it ok to butcher a limited edition kettle from the 90's up, but you respect a general kettle from earlier?

My inspiration comes from classic Retro kettles. Older kettles are already classic retro. Newer not. I have already changed up one of my new lime special limited edition MT to make it retro kettle and few others. I do not think my limited ed. MT is collectable and  I don't think I butcher it by making it retro.  :-\

Darko

• WKC Performer
« Reply #26 on: November 14, 2016, 08:03:47 PM »
We'll just have to agree to disagree.

TD

• WKC Brave
« Reply #27 on: November 15, 2016, 02:42:01 AM »
I never liked the blue handles (yeah, I know it's the Simpson's colors). I think the faded ones are cool. I would clean up around the the handle welds and tape off small area around each and use some high heat yellow paint. You can razor off any painted area you don't want. If you get a good color match may look almost good as new. (Sand with 600 and lighter, then apply compound and rub with dry cloth to give the paint glass shine) I would only fix dings and rust though. Yellow porcelain is too rare.  And yes I would collect and Restore one. Homer is cool!
Also that One Touch Gold aluminum ring one the bottom is collectable- They don't make em like that no more. I would look for a matching ash pan.
« Last Edit: November 15, 2016, 03:07:27 AM by TD »

firedude5015

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #28 on: November 15, 2016, 04:04:10 AM »
Personally, I'd keep it as original as possible. The Simpson's are an American icon just as Weber is IMO.
I know different people have different views, and no one person has to agree with the others, but this was one of the only distributed "tribute" Kettles Weber did.
That makes it special to me.

captjoe06

• WKC Performer
    • Northeast BBQ
« Reply #29 on: November 15, 2016, 04:09:16 AM »
I'm not even a Simpson's guy.  For $60 it's just hard to pass up and will be fun to cook on down the dock.  A sudden dilemma has come up.  A Black MBH has shown up and I don't think I have enough time to grab both on my one day off on Saturday.  I've already committed to the Simpson's.  Do I really need the MBH?  Are they really that special compared to the newer kettles?
« Last Edit: November 15, 2016, 04:12:50 AM by captjoe06 »
Smokey Joe Black, Smokey Joe Lime Green, Original Kettle Premium Black,'92 Red OTS, Yellow Simpson's 22, 78 Red MBH, '80 Black MBH, '10 Brick Red Performer,'12 Grass Green Performer, '03 Blue SSP, '97 Blue SSP, 18 inch WSM