Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Using the Snake Method for Turkey  (Read 7148 times)

Travis

• WKC Ambassador
Re: Using the Snake Method for Turkey
« Reply #15 on: November 22, 2016, 09:28:18 AM »
@MikeRocksTheRed Great thought about that. Next bird I'm do I'm going to try that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MikeRocksTheRed

• WKC Performer
    • The Kettle Cookers (facebook group)
« Reply #16 on: November 22, 2016, 09:31:39 AM »
I'm considering using a snake this year as well.  I've always done my turkeys the "usual' way with hotter temps and the coals all lit and surrounding the bird.  How long should I have it go if I go lower at like 250 or so?  Is that the temp you all recommend maintaining?

I have only done a handful of turkey and have always run the temp at least 300 degrees if not 350.  I'll have to defer to someone else on this one.  I'm thinking you have to have higher heat to get the skin crispy.  I am curious however what would happen if you ran 250 for a while then bumped it up towards the end to 375-425 to crisp the skin.  I'm thinking 250 until 130-140 internal temp then open it up to finish the skin???  Anyone????
62-68 Avocado BAR-B-Q Kettle, Red ER SS Performer, Green DA SS Performer, Black EE three wheeler, 1 SJS, 1 Homer Simpson SJS,  AT Black 26er, 82 Kettle Gasser Deluxe, "A" code 18.5 MBH, M Code Tuck-n-Carry, P Code Go Anywhere, 2015 RANCH FREAKING KETTLE!!!!!!

EricD

• WKC Brave
« Reply #17 on: November 22, 2016, 09:40:47 AM »
Interesting theories here.....Subscribed!
Please post how it turns out.
22" Kettle black, 18" Kettle black,Genesis S-310 Stainless Gasser, Genesis Silver Edition Gasser, 22" Weber Smoky Mountain, 28" Blackstone Griddle, Blackstone Pizza oven, Maverick ET-732
ThermaPop, Grillaholics Grill Mat, PizzaQue, Kettle Rotiserrie

Travis

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #18 on: November 22, 2016, 10:27:44 AM »
I'm considering using a snake this year as well.  I've always done my turkeys the "usual' way with hotter temps and the coals all lit and surrounding the bird.  How long should I have it go if I go lower at like 250 or so?  Is that the temp you all recommend maintaining?

I have only done a handful of turkey and have always run the temp at least 300 degrees if not 350.  I'll have to defer to someone else on this one.  I'm thinking you have to have higher heat to get the skin crispy.  I am curious however what would happen if you ran 250 for a while then bumped it up towards the end to 375-425 to crisp the skin.  I'm thinking 250 until 130-140 internal temp then open it up to finish the skin???  Anyone????
I've never done a turkey lownslow either. I agree with mike about bumping the heat up at the end for a crispy skin. Maybe a dry brine as well?

MikeRocksTheRed

• WKC Performer
    • The Kettle Cookers (facebook group)
« Reply #19 on: November 22, 2016, 10:31:37 AM »

I've never done a turkey lownslow either. I agree with mike about bumping the heat up at the end for a crispy skin. Maybe a dry brine as well?

I'm trying to track down a recipe from the book that comes with Green Mountain Pellet smokes for whole chickens.  A friend made one a few weeks ago and it was the best grilled/smoked chicken I've ever had.  Those smokers can be set and that cook was something like 250-275 until a certain IT then it cranked up to finish it.  I'm sure it can be adapted for Turkey.  You might even be able to set up a snake to get bigger a at a certain point so it does this naturally.   I'll post the recipe when I get it.  He is going to send it to me at some point today.
62-68 Avocado BAR-B-Q Kettle, Red ER SS Performer, Green DA SS Performer, Black EE three wheeler, 1 SJS, 1 Homer Simpson SJS,  AT Black 26er, 82 Kettle Gasser Deluxe, "A" code 18.5 MBH, M Code Tuck-n-Carry, P Code Go Anywhere, 2015 RANCH FREAKING KETTLE!!!!!!

MacEggs

• WKC Performer
« Reply #20 on: November 22, 2016, 12:41:41 PM »
My opinion on crispy skin:

Crispy chicken skin is great!!  Crispy turkey skin … Not so great.  It's kinda like jerky … Chew on it some, then spit it out.  YMMV

When I am ready to carve a kettle-cooked turkey, I peel off the skin and save it for stock.  Except for the drumsticks.

I cook my birds in the 350-400° range.  The snake would take too long, and I find a bird that's cooked too long tends to dry out.

Whichever method is used, have fun with it.  Don't be afraid to experiment and find the method that suits your needs.
Q: How do you know something is bull$h!t?
A: When you are not allowed to question it.

jorrtvh

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #21 on: November 22, 2016, 05:14:02 PM »
Thanks for your thoughts, guys.  I'm still thinking I'll go with what I know and go higher heat.  I'm not sure experimenting when the whole family is counting on this as their Thanksgiving meal is a smart move.  I just want to try these different methods that are discussed here on the forums!
18” Smoky Mountain, Blue C & B Performer, Black 22" One Touch, Black Smokey Joe

Jon

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #22 on: November 22, 2016, 05:38:47 PM »
I would guess that the biggest issue would be adjusting the bird as the heat source moves around the kettle. It is usually better to point the legs at the heat source. You could spin the grate as you go.

1911Ron

• WKC Performer
« Reply #23 on: November 25, 2016, 01:35:27 PM »
I have not done a Turkey in a kettle, have done one in my Drum and I ran it in the 350-375 range and once the skin was the right color I tented it with foil.  The trick with snakes is if you want higher temps start more briqs I have done chicken using two separate snakes ((  )) and put lit briqs top right and bottom left with 5 or 6 on each one vents wide open and some warm water in the drip pan and all three kettles were at 300deg measured by oven thermo.  With out water or adding more briqs will give you a higher grate temp.  I think my snake was 3 across on the bottom 2 on the next row and lump and smoke wood across the top.
Wanted: 18" Platinum any color will work
This is my Kettle there are many like it but this one is mine......

1911Ron

• WKC Performer
« Reply #24 on: November 25, 2016, 01:39:56 PM »
I would guess that the biggest issue would be adjusting the bird as the heat source moves around the kettle. It is usually better to point the legs at the heat source. You could spin the grate as you go.
@Jon  people have spun the grate when using one fire zone and get good results, I use two snakes ((  )) lighting one side on the top and the other at the bottom they will burn opposite directions and provide even heat and no lid lifting, no fuss no muss!
Wanted: 18" Platinum any color will work
This is my Kettle there are many like it but this one is mine......

Travis

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #25 on: November 27, 2016, 04:25:10 AM »
So did anyone use the snake for their birds this year? If so, thoughts please.

HoosierKettle

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #26 on: November 27, 2016, 05:00:55 AM »
I didn't but a friend of mine did. I stopped by his house thanksgiving morning when it was still on the grill and it looked great. He said it was a big hit a everyone liked it. I wasn't around to sample unfortunately

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

HoosierKettle

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #27 on: November 27, 2016, 05:01:56 AM »
He said temp stayed around 250-275 the entire cook

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club mobile app